Giants Aim To Re-Sign LB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FBomb View Post
    You can't really use that as an arguement considering Reese's philosophy on pass rushers vs linebackers. It's not like Chase was competing with the cream of the crop. Love him and his fire.....but we need to upgrade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24FvP-tyyTs
    my point wasnt that they dont need to upgrade my point was he woudn up being the best choice at MLB for the Giants even with his limited skill set.
    yes they do need to upgrade but having him on the team as part of the LB group is a sound choice for many reasons
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

If anything the DUI is probably less of an infraction that breaking and entering and theft.
      LOL! He has already drinking problems and he hasn't met Coughlin, Fewell or Killdrive yet ! Ha !
      " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
        my point wasnt that they dont need to upgrade my point was he woudn up being the best choice at MLB for the Giants even with his limited skill set.
        yes they do need to upgrade but having him on the team as part of the LB group is a sound choice for many reasons
        Agreed.....he should be on the team.....just not starting
        I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

Originally posted by DIPSET_ALL_DAY View Post
          People make mistakes and I'm not sticking up for him, but come on. When we got Bradshaw, all I kept hearing it how he got arrested for breaking into someone's dorm and stealing their PS2. I know it's not the same thing, but like I said, people make mistakes. These guys are coming straight out of college, the Giants can fix these problems.
          It's not really that it's a DUI for me . . . it's more about his idiotic timing. How ridiculously stupid do you have to be to get a DUI one week before the scouting combine? To me, this shows that the guy is just simply unable to behave.

Mark it down, the Giants will not draft this guy in the first. And if that's the case, I don't see another LB who would still be available at 19 who would be worth the pick.

Comment

Agreed.....he should be on the team.....just not starting
            The problem here is that if we draft a high round MLB, or pick up a good FA, then Chase's place on the team is a bit more vague. Do we keep three MLB? Herzlich is a very good special teams player, and could still improve as an MLB. Do you have room for him and Chase at that point? That's why Chase is vet min salary, and still could find himself out of a job at the end of training camp. This is a huge area of need and I don't think the Giants will ignore it. They've passed over way too many good MLB in the last few drafts, and I think they're going to have to draft an MLB in the first or second round.

Comment

Originally posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
              The problem here is that if we draft a high round MLB, or pick up a good FA, then Chase's place on the team is a bit more vague. Do we keep three MLB? Herzlich is a very good special teams player, and could still improve as an MLB. Do you have room for him and Chase at that point? That's why Chase is vet min salary, and still could find himself out of a job at the end of training camp. This is a huge area of need and I don't think the Giants will ignore it. They've passed over way too many good MLB in the last few drafts, and I think they're going to have to draft an MLB in the first or second round.
              If we draft a LB who will be in the MLB mix, Herzlich will be gone.

Comment

WE GAVE UP THE 2ND MOST YARDS PER GAME IN THE LEAGUE LAST YEAR! Blackburn is not a necessity for success on defense.
                Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Originally posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
                  For what I have seen Herz can't play at this level.

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                    its not Blackburns fault.........Fewell might be the most timid playcaller in the NFL......when he does let Blackburn blitz the results are devastating

Comment

Originally posted by BParcells777 View Post
                      its not Blackburns fault.........Fewell might be the most timid playcaller in the NFL......when he does let Blackburn blitz the results are devastating
                      Ha ha . . . devastating

So you think that Blackburn being our starting MLB had nothing to do with the defense's horrid performance last year? That the defense was bad in spite of Chase?

Comment

its mind boggling to me how many of you would just cut ties with this guy.. watch our games from this past season. blackburn was our BEST defensive player in probably 12 of the 16 games.. i know ill get flamed for this but personally ill take chase and his heart over the laziness of tuck, osi, webster, and 90% of the rest of our piss poor defense anyday.. id welcome chase back as our STARTING mlb and if we can get 10 guys around him to play with the heart and desire that he has our d would be tremendously upgraded

Comment

Heart doesnt cut it in the NFL, i love chase and when someone goes down he has always stepped up, i wouldn't mind him as second string but its time to get a real linebacker... Obviously reese is not looking to upgrade at Mlb by trying to resign chase and our linebackers are going to be below average again this year and if he does draft a lb he is gonna draft another late round bust this guy can't draft linebackers and by trying to resign chase just shows he doesn't value the mlb position

Comment

Originally posted by trubluwu View Post
                            its mind boggling to me how many of you would just cut ties with this guy.. watch our games from this past season. blackburn was our BEST defensive player in probably 12 of the 16 games.. i know ill get flamed for this but personally ill take chase and his heart over the laziness of tuck, osi, webster, and 90% of the rest of our piss poor defense anyday.. id welcome chase back as our STARTING mlb and if we can get 10 guys around him to play with the heart and desire that he has our d would be tremendously upgraded
                            I agree with you on this.

Chase led the team in tackles this year. People here will say "so what? our defense was 2nd worst in yards on defense". Well the "so what" would be that the porous defense had a lot more to do with all the other components of the defense overall, not because of the inadequacies of Blackburn.

Our DLine pass rush was down this year, in a large way. That was Chase's fault, too?

Everything seems to be "all or nothing" with a lot of posters on this subject. Chase has a place on this defense because of his chronic contributions as a ST and all-purpose backup LB, filling in admirably whenever asked.

The issue, I know, is his ability as a starter. As I've said before, that is not an either/or issue for Reese. He will resign Chase at a reasonable backup contract and will pursue a starting MLB through draft, FA, or both.

He's a classic Giants "overachiever" in the mold of Tollefson and Pascoe iin the Coughlin era. and of someone like Leonard Marshall back in the day. He fills a definite need, better than most, and I doubt we let him go this year.

Comment

Originally posted by gmen46 View Post
                              I agree with you on this.

Chase led the team in tackles this year. People here will say "so what? our defense was 2nd worst in yards on defense". Well the "so what" would be that the porous defense had a lot more to do with all the other components of the defense overall, not because of the inadequacies of Blackburn.

Our DLine pass rush was down this year, in a large way. That was Chase's fault, too?

Everything seems to be "all or nothing" with a lot of posters on this subject. Chase has a place on this defense because of his chronic contributions as a ST and all-purpose backup LB, filling in admirably whenever asked.

The issue, I know, is his ability as a starter. As I've said before, that is not an either/or issue for Reese. He will resign Chase at a reasonable backup contract and will pursue a starting MLB through draft, FA, or both.

He's a classic Giants "overachiever" in the mold of Tollefson and Pascoe iin the Coughlin era. and of someone like Leonard Marshall back in the day. He fills a definite need, better than most, and I doubt we let him go this year.

Leonard Marshall was an over achiever? He was a second round draft pick out of a big school, he was about as close to a lock to be a starter as you can get. He was an all-pro, and he played like it his whole career. He was a big factor in Lawrence Taylor's success too. They were unstoppable together. He was definitely not an over achiever in the mold of Tollefson or Pascoe. The comparison doesn't make sense.

As for Chase, he does play hard all the time, and no one that I've seen faults him for that. We all appreciate that about him. The orginal question of the post is do we re-sign him, and the consensus seems to be: yes, but not for much, if anything, over the vet min. Most of the posters I've seen are simply saying that Chase should be resigned to be a special teams player and reserve, and an ungrade at MLB should be found. I certainly agree with that.

Comment

So this board wants an overhaul at LB but at the same time doesn't want to cut ties with dead weight.

Comment

Working...
                                X