Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realistically, how much could we have Webster restructure to?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficult decisions all the way around, trying to reduce the cap hit through extension could be tricky (getting something acceptable for the player and team...egos and all). There is risk in everything JR will have to see where he can accept risk and move on from there. My thoughts are that JR could axe a couple of these guys and it would make little difference next year...(Diehl, Baas, Webster)

Comment

Originally posted by Drez View Post
      He can't restructure since he's on the last year of his deal. The only thing they can do is ask him to take a pay cut, which may be difficult to do. Even with as poor a year as Webster had last season, as the roster currently stands the Giants have pretty much no leverage to force him to do it. We have zero depth behind him and he knows that.
      Agreed. If his replacement was on the roster he would already have been cut and to upgrade from free agency would cost them more money. They are stuck and have to hope last year was an aberration and Webby bounces back in a contract year. Diehl, Baas seem like more likely ways to save.

Comment

There is only three real options with Cap projections remaining flat for the next 2-3 years. You either ride out the contract this year, cut him and take the cap hit from bonuses, or extend his contract and spread the hit over 2-3 years instead of one. With some considering this a year they can contend, an extension makes the most sense.... although I am not so sure they are a serious contender. There is just too many holes on defense. I think this is a year you take the hit while looking for his replacement on the current roster or through the draft. I don't think there is enough depth at corner to release him, unless you can get a real value signing in FA to replace him for less than the cap space you create, something I don't think is very likely.
        My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Comment

Originally posted by yatitle View Post
          Agreed. If his replacement was on the roster he would already have been cut and to upgrade from free agency would cost them more money. They are stuck and have to hope last year was an aberration and Webby bounces back in a contract year. Diehl, Baas seem like more likely ways to save.
          IIRC, we'll lose money by cutting Baas. Then we'd need to find a center. Diehl likely isn't going anywhere either until we find out what's happening with Beatty and Boothe.

Comment

Not to mention, but Rolle is not worth that salary,either.

Comment

Originally posted by hugehomer View Post
              Not to mention, but Rolle is not worth that salary,either.
              Rolle and Baas would be stupid cuts since they almost combine 10 million in dead money. We'd just be killing ourselves in the future. Baas isn't cuttable until 2014. Rolle maybe after this year.

Comment

Here’s what the Giants would save (salary-cap wise) -- or not -- by cutting each of those players right now …
                (Note: Players are ranked in order of the amount they are currently costing the Giants against the 2013 salary cap – see previous Tweet. The number listed here is the estimated cap savings for 2013 if the player is cut today (as unlikely as that may be in some cases). In the case of JPP and Kiwanuka, cutting them would actually ADD to the Giants’ salary cap) …

1.QB Eli Manning $6,500,000

2.G Chris Snee $7,000,000

3.CB Corey Webster $7,250,000

4.S Antrel Rolle $7,250,000

5.T David Diehl $4,903,125

6.C David Baas $50,000

7.DE Justin Tuck $4,650,000

8.LB Mathias Kiwanuka PLUS -- $1,250,000

9.WR Hakeem Nicks $2,755,000

10.DE Jason Pierre-Paul PLUS -- $275,000
                Last edited by drewz; 02-17-2013, 06:05 PM.

Comment

You save 4-5 million by Rolle not 7.

Comment

I'd imagine if the Giants do decide to do anything to his contract, they may do something similar to what they did with T2, but not as huge of a difference, in re-negotiating/"restructuring" practically a new contract for 1 year, thereby reducing that $7 million base salary possibly down to like $3-4 million. Reducing it down to vet min is absurd for someone like Webster who helped the Giants win 2 SBs in my opinion. The $2.595 million is a prorated signing bonus, so that cap hit is already final for 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                      I dont understand what you are saying.

How are they going to get the number down to 3.4 million?

You think they are going to tell webster he is only going to get paid the veteran minimum and he is going to accept that?

They have no way to reduce the 2.595 mil number, at all.

So whatever webster will make is in addition to that. The vet minimum for webster is $840k.

So thats $3.43 mil right there
                      I'm talking about his $7,250,000 cap number, not what he's guaranteed.
                      "Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                        Cant restructure him, he is in the last year of his contract.

To clear cap room either

A. Release him
                        B. Tell him to take less money or he will be released
                        C. Extend him and spread his cap hit over the next couple years
                        I have a sneaking suspicion that Webby is getting cut. Hard to believe that he would take a huge pay cut down to around $2 or $3MM. Which is where it would have to go to be useful. If he's down to $3mm, thats a $4MM savings in the cap.
                        It just seems that we could sign a decent vet or 2 at corner for less.
                        It all comes down to the pass rush on this defense anyway.
                        Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
                          I'm talking about his $7,250,000 cap number, not what he's guaranteed.
                          His cap # is close to $10MM.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                            His cap # is close to $10MM.
                            Right but if we cut him that's $2,595,000 in dead money.

Which is why if he takes a big pay cut, it's certainly better for us... and also better for Webster let's be serious.

Comment

Originally posted by NYG4lifeNYK View Post
                              Right but if we cut him that's $2,595,000 in dead money.

Which is why if he takes a big pay cut, it's certainly better for us... and also better for Webster let's be serious.
                              I think you have to look at it like this. We have dead money with Webby no matter what. The question has to be...is the remaining salary we pay him worth it considering what we could get other FA corners for, especially given our scheme.
                              The reality is that Webby is a press corner who may be in decline (probably actually), in a system where we need zone type corners who play well facing the QB.
                              So we owe him almost $8MM in salary...unacceptable obviously. Will he take a cut down to $2MM?...probably not. Can we find FA corners who play zone for less than that? Probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                                I think you have to look at it like this. We have dead money with Webby no matter what. The question has to be...is the remaining salary we pay him worth it considering what we could get other FA corners for, especially given our scheme.
                                The reality is that Webby is a press corner who may be in decline (probably actually), in a system where we need zone type corners who play well facing the QB.
                                So we owe him almost $8MM in salary...unacceptable obviously. Will he take a cut down to $2MM?...probably not. Can we find FA corners who play zone for less than that? Probably.
                                Fewell won't even be here in 2014. His zone coverage scheme is awful and is NOT one of our strengths, clearly.

I think all of our corners excel better with press coverage where they can be physical and disrupt the timing of the receiver at the LOS.

I also think Webster isn't a dud like many make him out to be now. He will bounce back, maybe not to his top 6-8 status but he can still give us a few more good years.

Comment

Working...
                                X