Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20 Million Dollar Player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    Flacco was at 8mil but it was reported he turned a contract of around 15 mil per year prior to the season hoping to get more money.
    My point is that an NFL team can win a SB without a $20MM QB. Which is contrary to what Slippy claimed.
    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
      Extension. Not a new contract.
      In that case, Eli is still under his first contract, too, lol.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by drewz View Post
        Joe Flacco wants Drew Brees money, Mike Wallce, Percy Harvin & Victor Cruz want Larry Fitzgerald/Calvin Johnson money, hell.. even Cliff Avril was saying he wanted a Mario Williams type contract.

        With the ceilings on these contract being raised and the cap remaining flat, it's going to be ridicolous trying to hang on to talent.

        If Flacco gets his 20 million, how much does Eli get when he gets his extension?
        How do you know what Victor Cruz is asking for?
        Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

        Comment


        • #19
          The Market has dictated that SB Contender/winning QBs are worth $20m/yr. We've got a QB that falls into that category, therefore we must pay the piper.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
            My point is that an NFL team can win a SB without a $20MM QB. Which is contrary to what Slippy claimed.
            And by winning they play themselves into that 15-20mil range just the price of doing business when you win.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
              My point is that an NFL team can win a SB without a $20MM QB. Which is contrary to what Slippy claimed.
              Not really. Name a team that has done it with a QB this isn't making or will command that level of contract. The only time you can really win with a $8m QB is if you have a generational defense.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                How do you know what Victor Cruz is asking for?
                He's intimated that he wants top WR money. What he wants and what he'll take are two different things, though.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Drez View Post
                  Not really. Name a team that has done it with a QB this isn't making or will command that level of contract. The only time you can really win with a $8m QB is if you have a generational defense.
                  Exactly you had Dilfer and Brad Johnson in the early 2000's but with all rule changes in favor of the offense. Building a great defense is almost impossible.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by drewz View Post

                    If Flacco gets his 20 million, how much does Eli get when he gets his extension?
                    Probably not much more than that, seeing as Eli will be in his early/mid-thirties when he extends his contract, not his mid-twenties.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Actually, with the new CBA, playing a rookie QB is cheaper than ever before. Additionally, the rules are becoming so QB friendly, and rookies are coming in very prepared, in pro-like college offenses, so that rookies can excel. There are a few teams that did very well last year with rookies at the helm. It frees up room for spending other places to support your rookie QB.

                      That said, we'd be nuts to cut Eli right now. Sure he didn't have a very good year last year, but I attribute that more to the pieces around him. I expect him to bounce back this year.

                      However, when the time comes to replace him, drafting and starting a rookie might be very cost effective.
                      Do not feed the trolls.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Drez View Post
                        Not really. Name a team that has done it with a QB this isn't making or will command that level of contract. The only time you can really win with a $8m QB is if you have a generational defense.
                        "...or will command that level"? That's funny. Once any QB wins a SB and happens to be a FA, they will generally command that.
                        Both Aaron Rodgers and Ben make less than $12MM/year.
                        Are they good enough to win SB's?
                        Last edited by Morehead State; 02-19-2013, 03:16 PM.
                        Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by ozzie0075 View Post
                          Exactly you had Dilfer and Brad Johnson in the early 2000's but with all rule changes in favor of the offense. Building a great defense is almost impossible.
                          Yup. You need a very good offense and a competent defense. The defense doesn't even need to be great, just competent or excellent situationally.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Drez View Post
                            In that case, Eli is still under his first contract, too, lol.
                            Hmm.. true.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Mercury View Post
                              Actually, with the new CBA, playing a rookie QB is cheaper than ever before. Additionally, the rules are becoming so QB friendly, and rookies are coming in very prepared, in pro-like college offenses, so that rookies can excel. There are a few teams that did very well last year with rookies at the helm. It frees up room for spending other places to support your rookie QB.

                              That said, we'd be nuts to cut Eli right now. Sure he didn't have a very good year last year, but I attribute that more to the pieces around him. I expect him to bounce back this year.

                              However, when the time comes to replace him, drafting and starting a rookie might be very cost effective.
                              On the flip side those rookie QB's are going to demand huge contracts as soon as they can renegotiate because they are being very under paid for their level of play.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                beating a dead horse on this subject. been all over and around it in other threads over and over. the NY Giants FO will not approach him to redo his deal, end of story. they know exactly what the guys in this thread have already said. for 10m range you get garbage. Sad to say that 10m buys garbage but that is what it amounts to if you have to trust sanchez or worse.


                                The only chance we have is for Eli to realize that the FO cant afford to keep his 2 best WRs and at his age he cant afford to wait for the Gmen to draft another star or two at that position and sit around for 2/3 years till their ready to be Stars. If he wants to go down in NFL history and be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana then he may have to do some hard thinking about what he makes per year and move around some money to help re sign those two
                                Football has been very, very good to us.
                                After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                                But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

                                # of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

                                1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                                2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                                3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                                4-New York Giants!!!
                                5-NE
                                Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

                                ***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X