20 Million Dollar Player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
    As I said, both Rodgers and Ben make less than $12MM/year. Thats 3 SB's that were won by QB's who don't make near $20MM.
    Rodgers was on a contract he extended during his first year of starting (unproven player contract... What would he get on the open market now?) Ben's cap hit this season is nearly $20m. His cap hit for the remainder of his contract is also about $15m. He also extended his contract in 2007, iirc, which has an effect on the total value. I'd imagine his contract value is slightly less for a variety of reasons, though mostly due to injury concerns. I'm sure the fact that they had to add a dangerous activities clause lowers his value, too. All that notwithstanding, what would he get if he was on the open market right now?

Comment

Originally posted by egyptian420 View Post
      I'm willing to cut money from every position except QB. If you look at Eli's 2012-13 season, it wasn't a 20 mill year for him, but you can't win them all every year.

Over the course of his career he's definitely earned what he's getting, specially with how this league is structured.
      If you look at his 2012-13 salary it wasn't $20m, either. More like $8m.

Comment

Originally posted by miked1958 View Post
        I suggjested this in another thread. I think eli would be good for another 5-7 years and still be effective. so they sign him to a 5yr ext... and spread out some of this money and give like you said only moderate GMoney. I dont think he would expect a SUPER contract anyway at this point in his carreer. Then they can take some of the money saved over next two seasons and resign both
        Hell, I was only thinking extending him 3 years. That'll put him under contract until he's 36 or 37, and if he's playing at a high level towards the end of his contract we can always extend him another couple years. But, the shorter extension protects the team better against a decline with age.

Also, I believe there's a cap on the number of years you can pro-rate a bonus... I think it's 4 years, might be 5, though.

Comment

As I said, both Rodgers and Ben make less than $12MM/year. Thats 3 SB's that were won by QB's who don't make near $20MM.
          You are completely missing the point. And Roethlisberger's cap hit this season is nearly as high as Eli's. So, you're even wrong on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Drez View Post
            If you look at his 2012-13 salary it wasn't $20m, either. More like $8m.
            Yea exactly, I'm just admitting that last year's performance isn't worthy of 20 mill (what he's about to make this year)....indicating that he needs to play better. And so does this abysmal o-line...

Comment

Originally posted by egyptian420 View Post
              Yea exactly, I'm just admitting that last year's performance isn't worthy of 20 mill (what he's about to make this year)....indicating that he needs to play better. And so does this abysmal o-line...
              He's only making $14m this year. The rest of the money is money already paid to him that hit the cap this year.

Comment

You are completely missing the point. And Roethlisberger's cap hit this season is nearly as high as Eli's. So, you're even wrong on that.
                Ben's contract is 8 years, $102MM.
                When he won the SB he was making a lot less.
                Oh...is it your view that it doesn't matter what a guy makes that determines if he can win a SB, its what his cap hit is.
                Good one.
                Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzie0075 View Post
                  All good QBs are going to be in the 20 mil range. In the 8-10mil range you get Mark Sanchez. And with out Eli Manning and his late game play the Giants would not have those 2 Superbowls. Manning deserves that money and no one is going to convince me otherwise.

Find me one superbowl winning QB in the last 10 years who isn't in that 20 mil range. Those guys are Peyton, Eli, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Flacco and Big Ben.
                  Second This !!!

Comment

Oh...is it your view that it doesn't matter what a guy makes that determines if he can win a SB, its what his cap hit is.
                    Good one.
                    This entire thread is based on Eli's cap hit. He's not making $20m this season. His salary this season is $14m. And players that get into motorcycle accidents while not wearing helmets, get accused of rape multiple times, and miss time every season tend to make a little less.

I apologize that you do not understand the economics of the modern NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by GiantPride13 View Post
                      Second This !!!
                      Eli, Rodgers, Flacco and Ben have never come close to making $20MM/year.

Comment

This entire thread is based on Eli's cap hit. He's not making $20m this season. His salary this season is $14m. And players that get into motorcycle accidents while not wearing helmets, get accused of rape multiple times, and miss time every season tend to make a little less.

lol
                        Football has been very, very good to us.
                        After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                        But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                        2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                        3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                        4-New York Giants!!!
                        5-NE
                        Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Good one.
                          As I said, you can't look to players that were on their rookie contracts when they won and say, "Hey look, they did it." Ben also played extremely poorly in their first SB win. I'm sure if he had played better in that game, he would have been able to ask for more.

The difference in value in their contracts is about $3m/yr. That difference can be explained solely by Ben's injury concerns.

Comment

You are accusing me of exactly what i was making fun of you for. That the "cap hit" isn't usually a players salary.
                            Its like you guys are in a bizzaro world today.

Let me just reaffirm my position.....You don't have to make $20MM/year to win a SB.
                            Is that clear enough? Or does that not deal with "Modern NFL economics"?

Everything you have said has been in agreement with me, but you act like you are correcting me.

Comment

Maybe I'm lost, but who's getting 20mil/year? That's a 7 year 140mil contract. That is unheard of and doesn't exist.

Comment

Eli I thought broke the record with a 6 year 95 mil. Which is only 16mil a year. 20+mil/year? Who's making that?

Comment

Working...
                                X