Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giants' Eli Manning Slated To Have League's Highest CAP Number in 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    He could help the team like Brady and take a 2 year 20 million dollar extension and lower the cap hits
    He'd need to be offered an extension first.

    Not sure why criticism keeps getting angled towards Eli - he's done nothing wrong.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
      He'd need to be offered an extension first.

      Not sure why criticism keeps getting angled towards Eli - he's done nothing wrong.
      They can't officially approach Eli until March 8th
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post
        Restructures are what got the Giants in their current mess. Sometimes, you just have to pay the guy(s) in any given year and be done with it, instead of mortgaging the future by making room today. Just ask Dallas, who today are in even more trouble than the Giants are, cap-wise
        +1, the Cowboys and Redskins also have to contend with the CAP penalties.
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
          He'd need to be offered an extension first. Not sure why criticism keeps getting angled towards Eli - he's done nothing wrong.
          It's not criticism, its just math. Nothing wrong with asking him to help the team.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
            It's not criticism, its just math. Nothing wrong with asking him to help the team.
            Eli's cap number is a result of Reese's restructuring.
            If you want math, check the bloated contracts of the average free agents he signed.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
              Eli's cap number is a result of Reese's restructuring. If you want math, check the bloated contracts of the average free agents he signed.
              So what's wrong with asking him to extend? Reese is trying to do what's best for the team. He has done a great job since taking over at GM.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                +1, the Cowboys and Redskins also have to contend with the CAP penalties.
                Funny thing is that they've set up Mara as their paper demon for their cap woes...

                I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                  Funny thing is that they've set up Mara as their paper demon for their cap woes...
                  Yes, when every owner, other than them and one other who was guilty of lesser manipulation but not penalized, voted for the penalties.
                  “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Courtesy of Spotrac.com http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/eli-manning/

                    Contract: 7 yr(s) / $106,900,000 Signing Bonus $13,000,000 Average Salary $15,271,429 End Year: 2015 Free Agent: 2016 / Unrestricted
                    ..............Base Salary ......S. Bonus ........Misc.Bonus ....Cap Hit
                    2009 ..........7,500,000 .....3,100,000 ...3,100,000 .......13,700,000
                    2010 ..........6,500,000 .....2,600,000 ...2,500,000 .......11,600,000
                    2011 ..........8,500,000 .....2,600,000 ...2,500,000 .......13,600,000
                    2012 ..........1,750,000 .....2,600,000 ...5,250,000 .........9,600,000
                    2013 ........13,000,000 .....2,600,000 ...5,250,000 ........20,850,000
                    2014 ........15,150,000 - ...5,250,000 ..........................20,400,000
                    2015 ........17,000,000 - ...2,750,000 ..........................19,750,000
                    2016 UFA

                    $35 million guaranteed
                    2010 Option Bonus: $12.5 million
                    2012 Restructure Bonus: $9 million

                    2012-15 Workout Bonus: $500,000
                    2500+2250+


                    Perhaps less rash opinions and more study of the salary situation would be in order.

                    Last year, the cap hit was reduced to $9.6 million. Now the last three years are averaging about $20 million.

                    Perhaps Mr. Reese will extend like the Patriots did Brady, perhaps Eli will accept or reject the proposal. We don't know.

                    One thing we do know is that this negotiation is better left private and that it shouldn't be rushed to appease a bunch of impatient fans.

                    Having Eli on the roster is a blessing, no matter what is done with the contract.
                    Last edited by GreenZone; 03-06-2013, 01:57 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by GreenZone View Post
                      Contract: 7 yr(s) / $106,900,000 Signing Bonus $13,000,000 Average Salary $15,271,429 End Year: 2015 Free Agent: 2016 / Unrestricted
                      ..............Base Salary ......S. Bonus ........Misc.Bonus ....Cap Hit
                      2009 ..........7,500,000 .....3,100,000 ...3,100,000 .......13,700,000
                      2010 ..........6,500,000 .....2,600,000 ...2,500,000 .......11,600,000
                      2011 ..........8,500,000 .....2,600,000 ...2,500,000 .......13,600,000
                      2012 ..........1,750,000 .....2,600,000 ...5,250,000 .........9,600,000
                      2013 ........13,000,000 .....2,600,000 ...5,250,000 ........20,850,000
                      2014 ........15,150,000 - ...5,250,000 ..........................20,400,000
                      2015 ........17,000,000 - ...2,750,000 ..........................19,750,000
                      2016 UFA

                      $35 million guaranteed
                      2010 Option Bonus: $12.5 million
                      2012 Restructure Bonus: $9 million

                      2012-15 Workout Bonus: $500,000
                      2500+2250+


                      Perhaps less rash opinions and more study of the salary situation would be in order.

                      Last year, the cap hit was reduced to $9.6 million. Now the last three years are averaging about $20 million.

                      Perhaps Mr. Reese will extend like the Patriots did Brady, perhaps Eli will accept or reject the proposal. We don't know.

                      One thing we do know is that this negotiation is better left private and that it shouldn't be rushed to appease a bunch of impatient fans.

                      Having Eli on the roster is a blessing, no matter what is done with the contract.
                      I know nothing about the cap, and frankly...it gives me a headache to have numbers just thrown around.

                      I very much appreciate your clear breakdown of what Eli's cap hit (and salary) look like for the next few years.
                      Every single day I log onto this message board thinking i've seen it all, every single day I am wrong...NYGiants2120

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        In my opinion Brady's recent extension has put some moral pressure on Eli to do something similar. Brady has said his main objective in the extension is to be on a winning team. Yes, you can argue Eli's two wins over Brady are worth the huge salary difference between them but I don't buy that argument.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
                          So what's wrong with asking him to extend? Reese is trying to do what's best for the team. He has done a great job since taking over at GM.
                          There's nothing wrong with asking. What hurts is the inflated CAP hit traditional restructuring creates over the remainder of the contract. That can be eased if they do a Brady type deal that extends and give up big guarantee $$
                          Last edited by RoanokeFan; 03-01-2013, 09:32 PM.
                          “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by danielboone View Post
                            In my opinion Brady's recent extension has put some moral pressure on Eli to do something similar. Brady has said his main objective in the extension is to be on a winning team. Yes, you can argue Eli's two wins over Brady are worth the huge salary difference between them but I don't buy that argument.
                            I don't think there is any "moral pressure" on Eli. What Brady did is the exception, not the norm. Most players don't do things like that, and Eli shouldn't be looked at as selfish if he didn't want to do that. These players deserve to earn as much as an owner is willing to pay them, just like any other profession. Eli doesn't owe the Giants anything. He has already delivered beyond what the team could have expected when they traded for him.
                            #80

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Eli isn't the highest cap guy anymore. Flacco's new deal just came in at 6 years and $120.6m.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by GreenZone View Post
                                Contract: 7 yr(s) / $106,900,000 Signing Bonus $13,000,000 Average Salary $15,271,429 End Year: 2015 Free Agent: 2016 / Unrestricted
                                ..............Base Salary ......S. Bonus ........Misc.Bonus ....Cap Hit
                                2009 ..........7,500,000 .....3,100,000 ...3,100,000 .......13,700,000
                                2010 ..........6,500,000 .....2,600,000 ...2,500,000 .......11,600,000
                                2011 ..........8,500,000 .....2,600,000 ...2,500,000 .......13,600,000
                                2012 ..........1,750,000 .....2,600,000 ...5,250,000 .........9,600,000
                                2013 ........13,000,000 .....2,600,000 ...5,250,000 ........20,850,000
                                2014 ........15,150,000 - ...5,250,000 ..........................20,400,000
                                2015 ........17,000,000 - ...2,750,000 ..........................19,750,000
                                2016 UFA

                                $35 million guaranteed
                                2010 Option Bonus: $12.5 million
                                2012 Restructure Bonus: $9 million

                                2012-15 Workout Bonus: $500,000
                                2500+2250+


                                Perhaps less rash opinions and more study of the salary situation would be in order.

                                Last year, the cap hit was reduced to $9.6 million. Now the last three years are averaging about $20 million.

                                Perhaps Mr. Reese will extend like the Patriots did Brady, perhaps Eli will accept or reject the proposal. We don't know.

                                One thing we do know is that this negotiation is better left private and that it shouldn't be rushed to appease a bunch of impatient fans.

                                Having Eli on the roster is a blessing, no matter what is done with the contract.
                                Great post.
                                I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X