Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toughest act to follow: Eli or Tom Coughlin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    The show is not over yet for either Eli or TC.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by brad View Post
      Those second half collapses are frustrating, but in the end no one will remember those. What they will remember is two super bowls and maybe more. And that puts Coughlin in a rare and unique class.
      May be you will forget, but some of us will not. This team had too much talent when these collapses happened and it was because Coughlin allowed to happen by the way he lead or the lack of his leadership at critical times. Having all these offensive weapons and still letting Killdrive to call the same old, predictable plays is inexcusable. And to say that he does not understand why we cannot score TD's from inside the 30 is not the sign of a great coach. As far as more superbowls I hope you are right, but the way things are now, especially if we cannot bring back our key FA and we hold on to washed out players like Webster and Diehl I do not think we will sniff the playoffs again let alone another SB.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by giantsforce View Post
        May be you will forget, but some of us will not. This team had too much talent when these collapses happened and it was because Coughlin allowed to happen by the way he lead or the lack of his leadership at critical times. Having all these offensive weapons and still letting Killdrive to call the same old, predictable plays is inexcusable. And to say that he does not understand why we cannot score TD's from inside the 30 is not the sign of a great coach. As far as more superbowls I hope you are right, but the way things are now, especially if we cannot bring back our key FA and we hold on to washed out players like Webster and Diehl I do not think we will sniff the playoffs again let alone another SB.
        Not arguing the frustration... but look back and what annoyed you most about Parcels? My guess is that you don't know, you just remember a great defense and an awesome running game. Coughlin has his flaws, but in the end, he has won 2 SBs, and there are still teams that haven't done that in their entire history. I am not a big fan of KG either... but you can't argue with rings, because that is ultimately all that matters.
        My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
          If TC gets one more ring, he will then be the best coach in Giants history.
          Wellington really loved Steve Owen. He was the Giants' Casey Stengel. Coach for 25 years, 2 championships, 10 championship game appearances... The staff that followed him under Jim Lee Howell had Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry on it, and the team went to 6 championship games in 8 years (although they only won 1).

          Those were the golden coaching regimes and either is arguable for the best in Giants history.

          You'll have to limit Coughlin's accolades to the modern era.
          8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

          "You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by brad View Post
            Those second half collapses are frustrating, but in the end no one will remember those. What they will remember is two super bowls and maybe more. And that puts Coughlin in a rare and unique class.
            Depends -- how many people remember the low class way Parcells made his exit, the disappointing ends to the 1988 or 1989 seasons, etc. I sure do. On the surface level Parcells was great but if you remember those details there are a lot of warts.
            8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

            "You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

            Comment


            • #21
              Both because most likely the next coach wont have a QB as good as Eli

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by SweetZombieJesus View Post
                Depends -- how many people remember the low class way Parcells made his exit, the disappointing ends to the 1988 or 1989 seasons, etc. I sure do. On the surface level Parcells was great but if you remember those details there are a lot of warts.
                That was actually my point... few people remember that though. What they remember is hall of fame Parcells who won two SBs for the Giants.
                My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by GentleGiant View Post
                  Eli. I promise you all that when Eli retires, giants fans will view him the same way we view LT.

                  Ahhhhhhhh, now I know who to go to for the good ganja! STOP THE MADNESS!
                  Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

                  http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by GentleGiant View Post
                    Eli. I promise you all that when Eli retires, giants fans will view him the same way we view LT.
                    Um, LT was the best defensive player in the sport for over a decade. Eli has never been the best QB in football. He will be loved forever, but don't compare him to LT.
                    #80

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
                      Um, LT was the best defensive player in the sport for over a decade. Eli has never been the best QB in football. He will be loved forever, but don't compare him to LT.
                      Um, excuse me I wasnt aware Eli had announced his retirement today.Maybe not now. But that's why I said WHEN he retires. When you win win the SB, your the best QB in football. He's already got as many SBs as LT
                      Last edited by GentleGiant; 03-03-2013, 10:45 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by GentleGiant View Post
                        Um, excuse me I wasnt aware Eli had announced his retirement today.Maybe not now. But that's why I said WHEN he retires. When you win win the SB, your the best QB in football. He's already got as many SBs as LT
                        Well LT is arguably the greatest player of all time, where Eli isn't even the greatest QB in his generation. So yeah that comparison is a bit of stretch especially considering we are comparing a QB to a LB here. That's not taking away anything from Eli though, unless you think he is the best QB in the game right now.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          There are plenty of coaches that could replace Coughlin; only a few QBs can replace Eli.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by GentleGiant View Post
                            Um, excuse me I wasnt aware Eli had announced his retirement today.Maybe not now. But that's why I said WHEN he retires. When you win win the SB, your the best QB in football. He's already got as many SBs as LT
                            What does that mean? "When you win the SB, you are the best QB in the league". That is nonsense. When you win the SB it just means you were the best team that year. It doesn't automatically dictate any individual as the best player!
                            #80

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
                              What does that mean? "When you win the SB, you are the best QB in the league". That is nonsense. When you win the SB it just means you were the best team that year. It doesn't automatically dictate any individual as the best player!
                              Tell that to the Ravens FO and to Flacco and his agent. They must not have received your memo.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by gmen46 View Post
                                Tell that to the Ravens FO and to Flacco and his agent. They must not have received your memo.
                                Contracts don't dictate who the best player is either. Sometimes teams overpay to avoid letting a guy hit the open market. All the Ravens did was actually make it better for the QBs that are better than Flacco when their deals are up.
                                #80

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X