Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source: Giants hope to re-sign Kevin Boothe and Martellus Bennett before market opens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Source: Giants hope to re-sign Kevin Boothe and Martellus Bennett before market opens

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1282880

    Excerpt: "Three key players from the Giants’ last Super Bowl championship team have already been booted out the door, and it’s possible more could follow in the next few days. The Giants have 16 unrestricted free agents. They’re coming off a disappointing, playoff-less season.

    And without much salary cap room to make a big splash in free agency — at least at the moment — this would seem to be the perfect time to … rebuild.


    “We don’t use that word,” Tom Coughlin said earlier this week. “I don’t want to lose anybody, but we know it’s a business. Change is always inevitable. But …”

    Left unsaid is that the Giants still have a two-time Super Bowl MVP at quarterback and they believe they have a championship core around him. So when the free agent market opens at 4 p.m. Tuesday their priority will be keeping that core together. And then, if they are unable to re-sign players such as tight end Martellus Bennett, safety Kenny Phillips and guard Kevin Boothe, they would look to replace them at reasonable cost.

    “You just try to keep as many good players as you can on your roster,” Giants GM Jerry Reese said. “Keep your nucleus intact.”


    That’s why the Giants’ top priority this offseason was to re-sign left tackle Will Beatty, which they did on Feb. 27 when they gave him a five-year, $38.75 million deal. According to a team source, they also hope to re-sign Boothe and Bennett before the market opens, though deals do not appear imminent.

    How far the Giants can go to re-sign them (or replace them) depends on their actions over the next few days. After restructuring the contract of center David Baas and getting cornerback Corey Webster to agree to a $3 million cut Thursday, the Giants are believed to be about $9 million under the $123 million salary cap. About $6 million to $7 million of that will be taken up by tenders to their three restricted free agents, running back Andre Brown, safety Stevie Brown and receiver Victor Cruz." Read more...
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 03-08-2013, 08:49 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

  • #2
    It would be some serious magic if JR can find a way to keep Boothe and Bennett.
    #80

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
      It would be some serious magic if JR can find a way to keep Boothe and Bennett.
      I have an idea, cut Deihl and sign Bennett..... not that crazy

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice to know Bennett is a priority. Sounded previously like they were just going to let him hit the open market.
        "You killed my family, and I don't like that kind of thing."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
          It would be some serious magic if JR can find a way to keep Boothe and Bennett.
          If he does re-sign them, that would lock down the entire front line (other than RT) from last year's poorly performing unit. That does not excite me in the least. We need to seek meaningful improvement, not more of the same from a group like that.
          No one remembers who came in second.

          Comment


          • #6
            The New York Daily News believes the Giants still hope to re-sign free agent Martellus Bennett before the market opens, but a deal isn't "imminent."

            It's unclear if the Giants have even made Bennett an offer. Bennett said last week the Giants had "other priorities," and that he wasn't "feeling the love." Bennett's agent can begin negotiating with other clubs on Saturday. He should draw solid interest on the open market.

            Source: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter
            .

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jomo View Post
              If he does re-sign them, that would lock down the entire front line (other than RT) from last year's poorly performing unit. That does not excite me in the least. We need to seek meaningful improvement, not more of the same from a group like that.
              Very true. Perhaps a few for depth after draft? Hard to grasp seeing rooks in the starting roles though. Im a little stumped myself.
              Last edited by TAILGATIN'; 03-08-2013, 11:57 AM.
              2017 Draft Wishlist:
              1. Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford
              2. Raekwon McMillan ILB Ohio State
              3. Roderick Johnson OT Florida State
              4. Jordan Leggett TE Clemson
              5. Ryan Glasgow DT Michegan
              6. Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss
              7. Billy Brown WR Shepherd

              sigpic
              "Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
              - Homer J. Simpson

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TAILGATIN' View Post
                Very true. Perhaps a few for depth after draft? Hard to grasp seeing rooks in the starting roles though. Im a little stumped myself.
                Hoping against hope we at least upgrade RT in a meaningful way. How exactly are we supposed to covert 3rd and short next year with the same people who couldn't do it last year?
                No one remembers who came in second.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by nygpolishpunk View Post
                  I have an idea, cut Deihl and sign Bennett..... not that crazy
                  LOL!!! i don't know why reading your post made me bust out laughing, i guess imagined it with a sarcastic smart *** voice lol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jomo View Post
                    If he does re-sign them, that would lock down the entire front line (other than RT) from last year's poorly performing unit. That does not excite me in the least. We need to seek meaningful improvement, not more of the same from a group like that.
                    Jomo I was feeling good till I read your post that is a problem same as last year yikes. If we get a RT we may be better. Were into the hope stuff.double yikes
                    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ibbill View Post
                      Jomo I was feeling good till I read your post that is a problem same as last year yikes. If we get a RT we may be better. Were into the hope stuff.double yikes
                      I sort of overstate it to make my point. Most of our guys on the OL are adequate enough individually (except for RT) but we don't have a single stud (no more for Snee) and the group's performance speaks for itself. Third and short.........ugh!

                      Sometimes people here get all hung up on keeping "our guys" without realizing the obvious. "Our guys" along the OL just aren't that good and change might be EXACTLY what we need there.
                      No one remembers who came in second.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                        http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1282880

                        Excerpt: "Three key players from the Giants’ last Super Bowl championship team have already been booted out the door, and it’s possible more could follow in the next few days. The Giants have 16 unrestricted free agents. They’re coming off a disappointing, playoff-less season.

                        And without much salary cap room to make a big splash in free agency — at least at the moment — this would seem to be the perfect time to … rebuild.


                        “We don’t use that word,” Tom Coughlin said earlier this week. “I don’t want to lose anybody, but we know it’s a business. Change is always inevitable. But …”

                        Left unsaid is that the Giants still have a two-time Super Bowl MVP at quarterback and they believe they have a championship core around him. So when the free agent market opens at 4 p.m. Tuesday their priority will be keeping that core together. And then, if they are unable to re-sign players such as tight end Martellus Bennett, safety Kenny Phillips and guard Kevin Boothe, they would look to replace them at reasonable cost.

                        “You just try to keep as many good players as you can on your roster,” Giants GM Jerry Reese said. “Keep your nucleus intact.”


                        That’s why the Giants’ top priority this offseason was to re-sign left tackle Will Beatty, which they did on Feb. 27 when they gave him a five-year, $38.75 million deal. According to a team source, they also hope to re-sign Boothe and Bennett before the market opens, though deals do not appear imminent.

                        How far the Giants can go to re-sign them (or replace them) depends on their actions over the next few days. After restructuring the contract of center David Baas and getting cornerback Corey Webster to agree to a $3 million cut Thursday, the Giants are believed to be about $9 million under the $123 million salary cap. About $6 million to $7 million of that will be taken up by tenders to their three restricted free agents, running back Andre Brown, safety Stevie Brown and receiver Victor Cruz." Read more...
                        even though i love him, can't see the black unicorn back
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheeBloodSport/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MattMeyerBud View Post
                          even though i love him, can't see the black unicorn back
                          His personality really started to grow on me. In the OTA, he comes in a little overweight and very outspoken for a new guy and I was worried. As time progressed, I came to see him as an interesting, bight guy with a colorful personality. Nothing wrong with that. I wish him the best wherever he lands.
                          No one remembers who came in second.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jomo View Post
                            His personality really started to grow on me. In the OTA, he comes in a little overweight and very outspoken for a new guy and I was worried. As time progressed, I came to see him as an interesting, bight guy with a colorful personality. Nothing wrong with that. I wish him the best wherever he lands.
                            yea but i remember reading his weight was up due to muscle mass, not because he was being lazy...

                            Its hard to say we shoudl throw money at any tight ends though, Reese has been a genious with our TE situation since he got here
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheeBloodSport/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jomo View Post
                              His personality really started to grow on me. In the OTA, he comes in a little overweight and very outspoken for a new guy and I was worried. As time progressed, I came to see him as an interesting, bight guy with a colorful personality. Nothing wrong with that. I wish him the best wherever he lands.
                              I am guessing he's not going to Tampa since it's now being reported his brother, Michael, is probably not going to be invited back by the Bucs.
                              Last edited by RoanokeFan; 03-08-2013, 03:06 PM.
                              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X