Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know we all get very upset when we lose FA's but.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know we all get very upset when we lose FA's but.....

It is disheartening when we lose FA's. Especially players that the Giants drafted and/or developed. But I have to say, The Giants always know what they are doing, because I do not remember the last time we lost a player and they went on to become successful. The Giants know what they are doing when they do not resign someone, or cut someone. And they also know what they are doing when they DO NOT sign a FA that everyone wants so badly.

So no fear, we are in good hands.

Let's make a list of players we cut or lose to FA that have went on to success. I cannot think of any off the top of my head, can any of you??

Barry Coefield, became captain of Skins defense, and won division this year.

Comment

Can't rule out Manningham yet, just because he got hurt this year.

Comment

Ryan Clark; Ryan Grant; Matt Bryant?

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
          Ryan Clark; Ryan Grant; Matt Bryant?
          Grant was traded and u can make the argument all 3 RB's we had were better

Comment

well this is what happens when you have a cap. it is what is.

Comment

Originally posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
              thats one that really hurt. he was a great pursuit DT for us. nobody could fool him on the screen. but he definitly was not worth the contract he got

Comment

fred robbins, and yea cofield and MM for sure. But yea the LIST is a lot LONGER on the ones that left and didnt become sucessful. The ones that were the list is like a fingernails lenth long, the ones that didnt are like an arms lenth. lol
                Football has been very, very good to us.
                After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                4-New York Giants!!!
                5-NE
                Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

JUMBO ELLIOTT - he looked better in blue

jumbo.jpg

Comment

Fred Robbins was way past his prime. So we got rid of his contract at the right time.

Comment

and i didnt get into football until HS in 1997. That was my first full season as a Giants fan. I believe Jumbo was already on the jets at that time, so i always hated him.

Comment

Tyrone Wheatley had 2 decent years right after he left us for Raiders in 99. Came in just under 1000 yds his first year with Oakland and broke 1000 the next year, which far exceeded anything he did as a Giant. Totaled 17 TDs those 2 years, nearly half his 10 year career total of 40. But after that, he settled back into his disappointing career the next 4 years.

Jumbo Elliot, as someone else said.

Cornelius Griffin went to Wash. Hated to see him go. Had a decent few years with them.

Cofield.

Visanthe Shianco definitely had a better career arc after going to Vikes.

McCaffrey in the mid 90s, to Denver and became a productive fan favorite. We then broke his leg the Monday night before 9/11, effectively ending his career.

Those 6 are the only ones I can think of --who actually had at least a good season or two (some had more) after leaving the Giants. Over the 20 years of the modern CBA, Free Agency and Salary Cap, that's pretty good (from Giants perspective).
                        Last edited by gmen46; 03-14-2013, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheIncredibleErk View Post
                          Fred Robbins was way past his prime. So we got rid of his contract at the right time.
                          I agree. He doesn't belong on the list of those who left the Blue and did well elsewhere. On the flip side, he was a good FA pick up for the Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
                            London Fletcher is the defensive captain of the Skins.

Furthermore here are Coefields stats the last 3 years:
                            2010(Giants) 54 tackles 39 solo with 1 forced fumble.
                            2011(skins) 25 tackles 15 solo
                            2012(skins) 36 tackles 15 solo with 1 FF.

And he was active for all games.

So your pretty much wrong on all counts, cept that they won the division. But I think it is tough to argue Coefield was worth that contract. Canty was active only 9 games, with very llittle play in 2 of those 9, and had better stats than Barry with 16 active games. Linval Joeseph had better stats this year than Coefield had in 2010, and he did it on a rookie contract.
                            Last edited by BlueSanta; 03-14-2013, 03:43 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

The one player that stands out that the Giants lost in free agency was Jeff Hostetler who was clearly better than any QB the Giants put on the field in 94 thru 96.

Comment

Working...
                              X