Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Cruz magic gone for good? 2nd yr. stats take major tumble...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Cruz magic gone for good? 2nd yr. stats take major tumble...

While the Victor Cruz hype machine has been well established, the decline of some important stats in his second year are reasons why no one is throwing cash at the player.

Overall receptions, yards
    2011: 82, 1536
    2012: 86, 1092

Dropped passes:
    2011: not in bottom 20 positions*
    2012:... Tied for 2nd worst with 10**

* https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ping-the-ball/ -but Mario Manningham showed up there
    ** http://hosted.stats.com/fb/leaders.a...e=NFL&rank=232

Even when Cruz broke away for amazing touchdowns in 2011, it was only good for 6th place in YAC. But in 2012, the slot receiver's numbers YAC were almost an embarrassment.

Total yards after catch rank
    2011: 6th place, 603 yards, 7.4 yard avg.
    2012: 40th place, 329 yards, 3.8 avg.***

*** http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/st...he-catch/2011/
    **** http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/st...he-catch/2012/

By contrast, the best slot receiver received $6 million for each of the next two years. Welker's total YAC stats:

Wes Welker
    2011: 1st place, 751 yds., 6.2 avg
    2012: 1st place, 719 yds., 6.1 avg

The question still remains, is Victor's best year behind him or has he yet to reach his potential? In that very question is the answer that most would shy away from giving a player a salary on a par with the best receivers, let alone slot receivers in the game.

Are fans victims of the soup commercials, the salsa dancing hype? I think so. The Victor Cruz myth is greater than the reality, until proven otherwise in the coming years.

That's why when the dust settles, my prediction is a $5.5 million/season three year deal at most, in a cap friendly first year scenario.
    Last edited by GreenZone; 03-14-2013, 12:22 PM.

In defense though, Victor last year was getting extra attention from the opposing defense. I have never seen Welker get additional coverage outside of man....

Comment

Defenses are paying more attention to him and were able to do so this year because of Nicks being banged up.

Cruz is still young and productive.
      sigpic

Comment

Oh my God, seriously?
        Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Originally posted by shane4177 View Post
          In defense though, Victor last year was getting extra attention from the opposing defense. I have never seen Welker get additional coverage outside of man....
          Victor did get extra attention, but Welker has been pretty much unstoppable no matter what scheme was thrown up against the Pats' offense. We haven't seen that kind of 3rd down consistent reliability yet from Cruz.

Comment

The only flaw in his game is dropped passes and he's not that fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
              Oh my God, seriously?
              If you are an NFL G.M., yes seriously you are looking at these numbers before breaking the bank AND giving up a first rounder. You are wondering if Cruz can be a great player when he is getting serious attention from defenses.

Comment

I think you look past one year, which while very good was not as dynamic as year #1. Many things beyond Cruz can have something to do with that including our cometition last year and the performance of the rest of the team. The fact that Nicks missed more last year than the previous year which allowed defenses to give Cruz more attention etc.

He did show some tentativeness last year (especially after the Pittsburgh game) which I did not see in the first year. Again it could just be part of the maturing process. The coaches who scour the tape have a much better handle on this than I ever could.
                No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Also, you are putting WAY too much emphasis on YAC and petty things like that. What about 1200+ yards and 10 touchdowns? That's productive as hell. His stats as of now are better than A.J Greens.

Comment

You are thinking so hard bud !
                    I think the Giants have enough sample size to make a fair judgement of what Cruz game is and the value of him going forward.
                    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenZone View Post
                      If you are an NFL G.M., yes seriously you are looking at these numbers before breaking the bank.You are wondering if Cruz can be a great player when he is getting serious attention from defenses.
                      The reason why he isn't getting those huge numbers is because defenses know what he can do to them if he is single covered..he's not a big guy either, so he can't just go jump up and grab balls.

Comment

This can't be ignored - it's not like his play went down for a few games - it was the last 12 games he's been on the field.

This high water mark, the one that he set for himself in 2011 in practically 14 games no less is the magic Cruz that many people say is the player he IS.

His last 12 games he was on the field, he was averaging 4.5 catches a game and under 60yds a game. Them's Amendola numbers. ....and telling the story of Cruz's last 12 games are not hating on him.
                        Last edited by Ruttiger711; 03-14-2013, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Agreed Cruz sucks.

Wonder what Roy Williams is doing these days?
                          I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSanta View Post
                            Defenses are paying more attention to him and were able to do so this year because of Nicks being banged up.

Cruz is still young and productive.
                            Ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                              The reason why he isn't getting those huge numbers is because defenses know what he can do to them if he is single covered..he's not a big guy either, so he can't just go jump up and grab balls.
                              Agreed. And my response to that is: $6 million for the best of them who has always been relied upon.

Comment

Working...
                              X