Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What % of the salary cap is too much for 1 position?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What % of the salary cap is too much for 1 position?

    I am just thinking over some of the numbers top 10 qbs are pulling down and wondering when they become selfish?

    I am not saying that I want Eli gone to be replaced by Matt Cassel but when does it become about taking less money to have better players on offense and defense?

    I am not a millionaire but you have to wonder, what can you do with 12 million a year you can't do with 5 million?

    My question to everyone would be what percentage of the salary cap do you think is reseasonable to spend on a single position?

  • #2
    They're not selfish. Teams pay them what the market dictates.

    If you want a top quarterback, you have to pay big for one.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
      They're not selfish. Teams pay them what the market dictates.

      If you want a top quarterback, you have to pay for one.
      That about sums it up.

      Comment


      • #4
        It depends on market value for the caliber of player at each position. If you want a top QB its gonna cost 18-20 M. Top WR about 10-12 M
        We Want 5!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by LayLow View Post
          It depends on market value for the caliber of player at each position. If you want a top QB its gonna cost 18-20 M. Top WR about 10-12 M
          I feel WR are way over rated and paid. The O line men are underpaid just my thoughts.
          Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

          Comment


          • #6
            It's not quite being selfish. It's understanding the fact that the QB position is the most important position on the team and understading the value that goes with it. Winning Superbowls is also factored in, but cashing in on Superbowls also applies to other players and other positions as well as the Ravens are finding out. Players ultimately want to get paid when they can and while they can.

            On the other side of the coin, selfish would be asking Cruz to continue to play for dirt cheap and complaining about his second productive season. Well, there's another word for that, "spoiled".
            Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 03-14-2013, 05:41 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Scoobie-Doo View Post
              I am just thinking over some of the numbers top 10 qbs are pulling down and wondering when they become selfish?

              I am not saying that I want Eli gone to be replaced by Matt Cassel but when does it become about taking less money to have better players on offense and defense?

              I am not a millionaire but you have to wonder, what can you do with 12 million a year you can't do with 5 million?

              My question to everyone would be what percentage of the salary cap do you think is reseasonable to spend on a single position?
              Whatever the market dictates for legit franchise QB, esp. one who can deliver a Super Bowl after 17-year drought. It all starts with the QB after all, otherwise, we would not have even traded for Eli. It clearly solved our issue since we got two Super Bowls since then.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ibbill View Post
                I feel WR are way over rated and paid. The O line men are underpaid just my thoughts.
                Not the LT's.
                We Want 5!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I understand what you guys are saying about both the low end (Cruz rookie contract) or high end (Flacco, Bree's, Eli). I have to think that at some point it become detrimental.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Scoobie-Doo View Post
                    I understand what you guys are saying about both the low end (Cruz rookie contract) or high end (Flacco, Bree's, Eli). I have to think that at some point it become detrimental.
                    It is more detrimental if you don't have a legit franchise QB to build upon. The good thing about Eli is he has proven he can win with different sets of receivers.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LayLow View Post
                      Not the LT's.
                      True the amount of abuse the O line men take every play they deserve to be paid more.Without them I dont care how good your WR RB or QB are its over.

                      Good O line can make average players look good.
                      Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LayLow View Post
                        Not the LT's.
                        See the contract Levitre got? More than we paid Beatty. And he's a guard.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I don't believe a team can win with a player that has a 20 million dollar cap hit, look at how quickly Baltimore imploded on defense after the Flacco deal. What was Eli's cap hit in both Super Bowl years?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CRH54 View Post
                            I don't believe a team can win with a player that has a 20 million dollar cap hit, look at how quickly Baltimore imploded on defense after the Flacco deal. What was Eli's cap hit in both Super Bowl years?
                            Not too sure what it was in '07 (but his rookie deal was pretty large), but in '11 his cap hit was $13.6m

                            The exodus from Baltimore this year has almost nothing to do with Flacco's new contract. He only counts around $7m against the cap this year. It's just what happens when you have a ton of FAs and just won the SB. All those guys are looking to cash in and get their paydays.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ibbill View Post
                              I feel WR are way over rated and paid. The O line men are underpaid just my thoughts.
                              Have you seen the threads complaining about how overpaid our Olineman are?
                              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X