Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else getting sick of the revolving door roster?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else getting sick of the revolving door roster?

Been watching the NFL since the mid-60's and I find myself losing inyterest for the first time. It has gotten to the point where it seems 50% of the team is turned over every year. Guys you become big fans of are now on a team you hate (i.e. KP to the Eagles) and vice versa. I used to be able to know every player on the Giants roster from memory as there was so little change year to year. Now forget about it, without an on-line roster I couldn't come close. I am sure I will always watch the Giants as it is in my blood but I really think the NFL has jumped the shark with free agency and salary caps.

Not really. It levels the playing field and increases competition
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Baseball may be the sport for you Bud. In the NFL everyone has the right to have a chance

Comment

Then go watch baseball... I hear they have a soft cap.

Hard cap is what makes football great. All teams start with the same base amount of resources to work with. Sucking more in a season gives you higher draft picks (which is supposed to help bad teams bounce back in theory, but in practice some teams just have bad managers)

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

I'd much rather this than have "rich" teams dominating year in and year out.

The cap keeps things fresh.

Comment

It has become a GM league now with the way FA works. The scouting department and cap specalists play huge roles in the business and that's why more emphasis is put on the FO publicly than before.

Comment

Originally posted by TroyArcher View Post
              Been watching the NFL since the mid-60's and I find myself losing inyterest for the first time. It has gotten to the point where it seems 50% of the team is turned over every year. Guys you become big fans of are now on a team you hate (i.e. KP to the Eagles) and vice versa. I used to be able to know every player on the Giants roster from memory as there was so little change year to year. Now forget about it, without an on-line roster I couldn't come close. I am sure I will always watch the Giants as it is in my blood but I really think the NFL has jumped the shark with free agency and salary caps.

It's just the way it is...not only in football but every sport. You can no longer follow many players as they are always jumping from team to team...but you can always following the Giants. That will never change.

But I agree to a point...I wish there was less moving around. When players go to the eagles it hurts....Steve Smith, KP, etc.

Baseball is the same way....the beloved Red Sox hero Wade Boggs crushed a lot of people when he went to the Yankees and won a title.

And it will just continue.

The players realize it's a business and there is no loyalty from teams or players anymore. Each have to look out for their best interest.

Money eventually ruins all.

Comment

I see what the OP is saying. It is kind of annoying that players just bounce from team to team eery year. But the same is true in Basketball, Hockey, etc.

I dont know, I guess I just accept it and am thankful the NFL has a cap

Comment

Welcome to 2013

Comment

I do kinda agree though, It really burns me when the Giants scout, and pick a player, and then in a couple of years he gets signed away to some other team.

Comment

To be honest, It would be fun to develop players and keep them. It would be nice to cheer for guys you have come to know as "Giants". It's just not the world we live in anymore. The salary cap is designed to give every team a chance to have a good team. It doesn't really work that way, because a lot more goes into a good team than good players. The Giants have one of the best talent mining teams in the league. We dig up the rough diamonds, cut and polish them to value. Then another owner who has a few extra bucks can buy them away. Sometimes if a diamond is in the wrong setting, it loses its luster. It happens to players too. The bottom line is, don't get emotionally wrapped up in the players. Sure, most will play hard for the team they are on, but they are their own best interest. It's not a bad thing. It's just the way it is. The loyalty in today's NFL is about 85% money and 15% team. It's not a bad thing, it's is just the way it is. Just like the teams loyalty is to the team more than the player. The Giants seem to be one of the more loyal teams when it comes to players, but if the player can't benefit the team, they won't be around long.

Be a Giants fan. Hope the bodies in the uniforms play well together and win a Championship. Don't get all worked up about any player. It's just not the way the league is anymore. Cheer for the plays the guys make when they are here. The days of one team players are LONG GONE.
                      # 80 (For FBomb)

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                        I'd much rather this than have "rich" teams dominating year in and year out.

The cap keeps things fresh.
                        I hope you're not assuming rich teams dominate every year...

Comment

Originally posted by quan the don View Post
                          I do kinda agree though, It really burns me when the Giants scout, and pick a player, and then in a couple of years he gets signed away to some other team.
                          This is what I agree with. Here's a fine example: Victor Cruz

Comment

Cruz is still a Giant...
                            Originally posted by DIPSET_ALL_DAY View Post
                            I hope you're not assuming rich teams dominate every year...
                            Yeah I am. I follow English football (soccer) and the teams with the highest bankrolls dominate. You can usually pick the league winner before the season begins.

Comment

Originally posted by TroyArcher View Post
                              Yup I use to remember every name and number loved it then. As they say the players are trying to get as much money as possible.T.C. may have to change his way also as he has always been loyal to the vets on the team but things have changed. ex. D.D. last year.Like it no live with it yes all be it not liking it.
                              Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

Comment

Working...
                              X