Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why aren't the Giants restructuring more people???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why aren't the Giants restructuring more people???

As everyone here knows, the Giants have very little money left and they still have to put money aside for the draft. The Giants currently have a little over $47 mil tied up on 4 players, granted one of them is Eli...but why don't the Giants restructure with the top 4 or 5 highest paid players. I understand that you don't want to keep pushing salary further back to future years, but as long as the Giants do it in a responsible and smart way, it should be fine. The top 4 players who are making that $47 mil are:

Eli---- ~20 mil
    Snee- ~11 mil
    Rolle-- ~9 mil
    Tuck-- ~6 mil

Takes two to tango
    "Release the Kraken!"

- Dan Dierdorf, Giants vs Dolphins, 10/30/2011

Comment

Because restructuring contracts is what has put us in the position we are in now. Eventually the bill comes due. The only thing we can really do that would help is have these players sign extensions take big signing bonuses and spread out the rest.
      I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

Originally posted by FBomb View Post
        Because restructuring contracts is what has put us in the position we are in now. Eventually the bill comes due. The only thing we can really do that would help is have these players sign extensions take big signing bonuses and spread out the rest.
        you beat me to it FBomb. Rolle and Eli both have restructured in the past, which of course is hitting the Giants cap number hard now.

I'm sure numbers are getting crunched in the front office. I think realistically Diehl taking a pay cut would help--he cant restructure since he is in the last year of his contract. But if the Giants could gain 2 million towards the cap, if Diehl takes a cut, that would be of some help. If Diehl is waiting on Boothe before doing so, he could lose out, if Boothe is re-signed. Diehl than may get released, and if Im not mistaken, the Giants could gain more cap space if they outright release Diehl.

Comment

Ya, this is commonsense here...

Comment

Restructuring would not give us anything but more trouble later. If it would have helped, it would have been done already. Having Diehl still on his contract is the bitterest pill to swallow for me. He may not be washed up, but he is not even close to the worth of his contract. He has plugged up a lot of money. I would have rolled the dice on cutting him, and try for a re-signing.
            # 80 (For FBomb)

Comment

Restructuring is something you do in a VERY limited basis. To save a few million to sign or resign someone you have your eyes on. When you over do it, you get cap problems like we have now.

Why do fans around here think restructuring magically frees up cap space with no negative consequences? It doesn't and should be used extremely sparingly.

Comment

I think we are in a position where it's better to stay put and be ok going forward. The Baas restructure already has me pissed...

Comment

this... If we stand firm and don't cave in we will be in really good shape in next few years
                  Football has been very, very good to us.
                  After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                  But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                  2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                  3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                  4-New York Giants!!!
                  5-NE
                  Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by DaKraken View Post
                    Takes two to tango
                    It really only takes one to tango. The player would always accept the typical structure of a "restructure". Basically the team advances money from the later years in the contract (often times increasing the guaranteed money). The so called benefit for the team is that they extend the contract a couple of years and in the process spread the up front bonus over a longer period which reduces the current cap hit. The problem as many have pointed out is that the restructure pushes the cap hit down the road. If the player's skills erode or we cut him, the penalty is a cap hit for the remaining guaranteed money in the contract. I think we are trying to get out of those situations right now as are many teams. Have you ever seen so many one year contracts?
                    No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by bryan_kilmeade View Post
                      As everyone here knows, the Giants have very little money left and they still have to put money aside for the draft. The Giants currently have a little over $47 mil tied up on 4 players, granted one of them is Eli...but why don't the Giants restructure with the top 4 or 5 highest paid players. I understand that you don't want to keep pushing salary further back to future years, but as long as the Giants do it in a responsible and smart way, it should be fine. The top 4 players who are making that $47 mil are:

Eli---- ~20 mil
                      Snee- ~11 mil
                      Rolle-- ~9 mil
                      Tuck-- ~6 mil
                      Contracts should be honored by both sides. How would you feel if your company asked you to take a pay cut?

Comment

Originally posted by njersey View Post
                        Contracts should be honored by both sides. How would you feel if your company asked you to take a pay cut?
                        This is probably the most misinformed statement uttered by NFL fans. This isn't baseball, NFL contracts have guaranteed portions and what are effectively team option/incentive portions. They are usually a 35%/65% split. Very few players play out all of those "option" years and if you guaranteed all of todays contacts then you would have teams that are 50m-60m over the cap. If the players wanted fully guaranteed contracts they would see their salaries drop by 60% and their years max out at 3. With a hard cap this system makes more sense for both sides.

If you look at Greg Jennings contract it is really a 2yr/18m guaranteed contract with 3yr/27m worth of team options.

Comment

Since when aren't contracts being honored?????
                          No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by bryan_kilmeade View Post

Eli---- ~20 mil
                            Snee- ~11 mil
                            Rolle-- ~9 mil
                            Tuck-- ~6 mil
                            Restructuring only saves you CAP space now. It becomes due and payable tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
                            Last edited by RoanokeFan; 03-16-2013, 04:20 PM.
                            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Contracts are honored
                              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Working...
                              X