Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants' Tisch Predicts Victor Cruz Will Get More Money Than Wes Welker

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...rticle-1.12915

Excerpt: "Giants co-owner Steve Tisch may have cost himself some money when he predicted restricted free agent wide receiver Victor Cruz will get more than the $6 million per year that Wes Welker is getting from Denver.

“I think Victor is going to get a little higher than that,” Tisch said Sunday at the opening of the NFL meetings.

Welker, who signed a two-year $12 million deal, and Cruz are both slot receivers. Welker was replaced in New England by Danny Amendola, whose five-year $31 million deal averages $6.2 million per year. The market for slot receivers is down compared to receivers who play on the outside. Miami signed outside WR Mike Wallace to a five-year $60 million deal.

Tisch admitted he’s “anxious” as he believes “it’s possible, maybe even probable,” that Cruz will get an offer sheet that the Giants will then have to decide whether to match or take a first-round pick as compensation. “What’s between possible and probable? Likely,” Tisch said.

The Rams could be the team that makes a run at Cruz. They have two first-round picks. So do the Vikings, but they just signed Greg Jennings.

Cruz recently hired Tom Condon as his agent and Tisch said the five-day window before new agents are allowed to negotiate for their new clients expired Friday. That means Condon, who also represents Eli Manning and has an excellent relationship with the Giants, can begin negotiating on a long-term deal with Big Blue to replace the $2.879 million tender or with any team willing to pay Cruz and also give up the first-round pick. Cruz has until April 19 to present an offer sheet to the Giants.

Tisch had dinner with Cruz two weeks ago but feels it would be inappropriate for him to talk to the receiver during this process.

“The situation is he’s a very desirable athlete,” Tisch said. “I’d love him to be a Giant. I’d love him to be a lifer as a Giant.” Read more...

Last edited by RoanokeFan; 03-18-2013, 06:59 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

And here Jerry Reese thought he only had to worry about Tom Condon lol

I don't think this is that big a deal since they've already put an offer on the table but Reese needs to be able to maneuver without all of these Peanut Gallery distratractions.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 03-18-2013, 06:58 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

I think him saying this isn't a big deal, he is already saying what most people know, that VC is going to get more than 6 mil a year. Doesn't Tom Condon also represent Sam Bradford?

Comment

Now here's something to ponder. Victor has said he'd like to go into broadcasting or acting after football. Do you think Steve Tisch might be able to help him with that since he's a TV and movie producer?????

Tisch could talk about that with Victor all he wants.

It seems clear they do want Victor here long term and the full court press is on.
        Last edited by RoanokeFan; 03-18-2013, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfam04 View Post
          I think him saying this isn't a big deal, he is already saying what most people know, that VC is going to get more than 6 mil a year. Doesn't Tom Condon also represent Sam Bradford?
          I don't know the answer to Condon and Bradford but he represents a lot of players.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfam04 View Post
            He does. He also represents Peyton, Eli, Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford and Adrian Peterson, among others - all guys who've landed massive deals.

He'll get Cruz a big contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
              He does. He also represents Peyton, Eli, Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford and Adrian Peterson, among others - all guys who've landed massive deals.

He'll get Cruz a big contract.
              Clearly bigger than Welker

And I think that's appropriate

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                Clearly bigger than Welker

And I think that's appropriate
                It's quite scary how much power he has, his clients' contracts have a habit of crippling their teams' caps.

No wonder Belichick keeps his distance.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that the Giants already offered Cruz the same or more.
                  I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                    I heard somewhere they offered 5 years 30 million

Comment

Thanks for the input, Tisch. Forrest Gump was great, Tisch. You're awesome, Tisch.

Now stop talking to the media.
                      My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                        It's quite scary how much power he has, his clients' contracts have a habit of crippling their teams' caps.

No wonder Belichick keeps his distance.
                        I don't know that it's "power" as much as an ability to talk with teams knowing what their habits are, knowing what his clients bring to the table and, most importantly, doesn't make demands he knows he can't win. That the Giants appreciate him is very significant.

Comment

Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
                          Thanks for the input, Tisch. Forrest Gump was great, Tisch. You're awesome, Tisch.

Now stop talking to the media.
                          That's would have been a Reese email last night lol

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                            Surely more than Welker so the $7-8M scenario seems to have been right the target range

Comment

Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
                              I heard somewhere they offered 5 years 30 million
                              I think a lot of people are operating under the assumption that's about what they offered Cruz (not confirmed anywhere of course).
                              I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Working...
                              X