Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Phillips non re-signing a foreshadowing of Nicks situation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Phillips non re-signing a foreshadowing of Nicks situation?

I often compared the 2 players. They are both in their mid 20s, game changers WHEN HEALTHY. Problem is, they are rarely healthy. We just let Phillips go for a 1yr 1.85M deal to the rival Eagles. It seems we were not putting anything into KP to come back here. The only reason I have to believe why this happened is because of his chronic injuries, namely the knee.

We also just let Bradshaw go, who, again, when healthy is our best running back. A fierce, firery, non stop motor, little can of kick *** running back who always gave us 110% on the field and IMO was the offense spark plug for this team. But he had those darn foot issues.

Now it comes to Nicks.

Obviously, in the 2011 postseason he showed just how explosive and valuable he could be if he is healthy. The problem is, he never is healthy for more then a 5-6 game stretch. Now you can say no one in the NFL is, but it really shows with Nicks. He never should of been starting last year after that one game he exploded in. He injured his leg, foot, ankle.... Every year, the injuries pile up for him.

So why would we be willing to dump a huge contract on Nicks after 2013 if we arent willing to do it for a great safety or running back who are all about the same age?

Personally, I think Randle will make the Nicks situation even more complicated next year. Randle can fill his shows easier then Cruz's.

Thoughts?
    WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

I don't see the correlation. Both KP and Bradshaw had debilitating injuries. KP's knees have been described as degenerative. Brahdshaw's ankles have prevented him from practicing for several years.

I understand Nicks hasn't played a full season, but his injuries, I believe, are varied from year to year. 2012 was the double whammy of his broken foot and then his knee.

I see Nicks' injuries as acute while Phillips' and Bradshaw's are chronic.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Next year the Giants should theoretically have a better cap situation.

Comment

Reading way too much into this.

Comment

Randle has shown me nothing to even consider him on Nicks level at this point. Nicks came in a a rookie, learned the offense and put up decent numbers. Randle made a few nice place, but the majority of the time he looked lost on the field. There were a number of times he was targeted and was nowhere near where Eli threw the football. He needs to pick up the offense, he does not have hands like Nicks and his route running needs work!

The Giants have already said Nicks is a priority. Unlike Phillips (who was offered a deal and CHOSE to leave), Nick's injuries are not do to a degenerative knee problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaggs View Post
            says who?
            Why the Giants will win the SuperBowl!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QPvmhCcsnY&t=1s

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
              I don't see the correlation. Both KP and Bradshaw had debilitating injuries. KP's knees have been described as degenerative. Brahdshaw's ankles have prevented him from practicing for several years.

I understand Nicks hasn't played a full season, but his injuries, I believe, are varied from year to year. 2012 was the double whammy of his broken foot and then his knee.

Agree, their injuries are not the same and the prognosis going forward are totally different.
              " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

Comment

Originally posted by giants8493 View Post
                says who?
                http://boards.giants.com/showthread....ht=salary+2014
                " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaggs View Post
                  Indeed they will
                  “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

says who?
                    Going by the Spotrac numbers, they have 97.5 committed to the 2014 year, or about 23 mil under. 18 mil when you add in that rookie class. Sure contracts have to be redone by then, but they should have room.

Comment

says who?
                      The numbers, the players who will be under contract and the players who will hit FA, it's a combination of factors.

Comment

The Giants have already said that Nicks is a priority.

Comment

no
                          sigpic

Comment

Philips knee condition is degenerative. At best, his knee will remain as is, but it'll just get worse and worse and worse and never fully heal.
                            http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
                            http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                            http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post

This.

The only thing that concerns me with Nicks is that they are all leg injuries (including that weird infection in his thigh muscle he got a couple of years ago) and I wonder if they don't cumulatively start to effect his overall health.

Past that though, Nicks isn't quite in the same boat as KP and Bradshaw, both of whose injuries were ongoing, long term issues.
                              I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Working...
                              X