Linebacker: Red Headed Step Child

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linebacker: Red Headed Step Child

Warning: I've played linebacker so this rant will be totally biased.

Our starting LBers as of right now are looking like Keith Rivers (SAM), Dan Connor (MIKE) and JWill (WILL).

All three have injury histories and have yet to prove they can actually endure an entire season of play. To add to that, the guy calling the defense (Connor supposedly) has yet to prove he can be a starting player in the NFL.

After those we have, Kiwi (depending DE rotation), Paysinger, Herzlich and Muasau. Kiwi (assuming he doesn't move to DE permanently) hasn't proven he can be anything more than a journeyman SAM (and he was flat bad last year in that spot), Paysinger is good depth at WILL (the only real optimism I have in our LB corps currently), Herzlich has yet to prove he can regain his playing form from BC and I've yet to see Muasau do anything.

Our linebacker play has already been admitted by coaching, front office and ownership to have been really poor last year. And, on paper at least, it looks worse this year.

While you can make the argument that the LBer spot might have the least emphasis in a 4-3 defense in todays NFL, I will make the statement here that our defense will be inconsistent at best until our LBing corps has been noticeably upgraded.

I weep for the future!
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Chase will be back.....to save the day....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
      Chase will be back.....to save the day....
      I'm a Chase fan, but when you're hoping to re-sign Rudy, I think my point is made.
      I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Let's see what training camp brings..I know that is a lame answer, but it will be great to know who is actually starting and where.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
          I'm a Chase fan, but when you're hoping to re-sign Rudy, I think my point is made.
          exactly.......but I would rather have Rudy as the glue if no one else can mange the MLB pos
          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

I don't like the fact that JR seems willing to compromise with injury history... I'd rather have someone who may not be as athletic like CB, but is at least on the field for at least 14 out of 16 games a season...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
              I don't like the fact that JR seems willing to compromise with injury history... I'd rather have someone who may not be as athletic like CB, but is at least on the field for at least 14 out of 16 games a season...
              JR himself probabaly cant believe he keeps cutting the best MLB he has on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                exactly.......but I would rather have Rudy as the glue if no one else can mange the MLB pos
                MLB pos indeed.

Comment

Could not agree more. I've looked daily to see if we've addressed this issue any further than we have. We could use some help on the OL and possibly even another CB, but I'm really hoping we can draft LB first round of the draft. To me it's our biggest question mark.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlue wins View Post
                    Let's see what training camp brings..I know that is a lame answer, but it will be great to know who is actually starting and where.
                    That, the Draft and post-Draft FA signings. Plenty of time to bolster this bunch ... hopefully.

Comment

That, the Draft and post-Draft FA signings. Plenty of time to bolster this bunch ... hopefully.
                      +1 I will be upset once the regular season starts if we dont seem to address it

Comment

I m a big fan of Chase because he puts a 100% into every play but you are right, he is Rudy. I just don't understand how they could continue to neglect this key position after last year. How the hell are the Giants going to shore up their run D without addressing this key position in FA? Even if they draft a MLB high, the Giants are not a team that traditionally throws rookies in the deep end...

Comment

the team is going to have to make a commitment to the LBer position in order for it to get any better than mediocre and so far they have been reluctant to do that in a meaningful way. Upgrading through FA means paying big money to guys who have proven what they can do, the Giants really can't do that and have shown they really don't want to, so the draft is left and they don't draft a LBer high enough to insure any kind of success, maybe they were just burned too bad by the Clint Sintim pick....

Comment

I think Ogletree would adjust just fine to the Mike. Brown would be a good draft option as well. I really love Greene, but view him more as a OLB, but maybe he can make the change.
                            2017 Draft Wishlist:
                            1. Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford
                            2. Raekwon McMillan ILB Ohio State
                            3. Roderick Johnson OT Florida State
                            4. Jordan Leggett TE Clemson
                            5. Ryan Glasgow DT Michegan
                            6. Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss
                            7. Billy Brown WR Shepherd

sigpic
                            "Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
                            - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

We dont need no stinkin LBs or TEs.
                              Life is like a Giants game, you never know what you are going to get.

Comment

Working...
                              X