No announcement yet.

runners can no longer lower their heads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Heads Up" Football has been in the works for sometime now, and I think its great the NFL is leading the example for the college, high school, and PeeWee leagues. Kids are being taught and trained to do this regularly and are already accomplishing it - there is no reason to believe that some of the best athletes on this planet cannot also adapt.

Like some one mentioned, defenders have had to adapt to not leading with their helmets, and now so do running backs. Pushing piles and falling for extra yards is NOT what this rule is about it. It's about using the crown of your head to truck over an opponent in the open field. Use your shoulder, use a stiff arm - not your head.

I think the rule is great, and if some of the tough guys think its wussifying the sport, I won't miss the extra bodies when I'm online for food at the games.

Comment

• http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGd...ew-helmet-rule
      I'm with the big guy too.
      " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

Comment

• I wonder why people aren't listening to what intellectual analysis Jacobs has to provide. Oh wait. No I don't.

Comment

• What's to prevent the defender from overdramatizing getting trucked by the RB to get the flag? RB lowers his pads, just fly back 3-4 yards on contact. Flag!

Comment

• eliminate the RB position all together ....go 5 wide and toss it down field every snap

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
              What's to prevent the defender from overdramatizing getting trucked by the RB to get the flag? RB lowers his pads, just fly back 3-4 yards on contact. Flag!
              That makes zero sense. The rule isn't about hitting hard. Its about using the helmet as a weapon and using the crown as a battering ram.

Comment

• Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                eliminate the RB position all together ....go 5 wide and toss it down field every snap
                Lmao over dramatic much?

Comment

• Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
                  That makes zero sense. The rule isn't about hitting hard. Its about using the helmet as a weapon and using the crown as a battering ram.
                  Which causes hard/impact hits... hard hits and player safety go together dude. I guess no WR in history ever flopped to get the hitting a defenseless receiver penalty either. No player in history is going try to sell the crown helmet hits either to get the refs to throw the flag for this new rule.
                  Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 03-20-2013, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Lmao over dramatic much?
                    yes

thank you for noticing

Comment

^^
                      Give me a break. This is a great rule change. It about time ball carriers are being held responsible for helmet hits. This is not one of those outrageous changes that lessens the toughness in the game. This is a change coaches and defensive players have been asking for for years.

You don't need to lead with the crown. Helmets aren't supposed to be weapons. You are supposed to lower your shoulder not your head.

Some of you sound like you have zero knowledge of the correct techniques that are used in this game.

Normally I am against these changes, but this one is an absolute no brainer.
                      That's not the point Agiantdynasty and Draftmind. No one teaches leading with the head down. Not with tackling or running. But at times in the heat of the moment you lower and brace to deliver contact not to receive it. If you don't understand that then YOU 2 never played the game. You don't lower your shoulder pads strictly by lowering your hips and bending your knees when you are the running back. There is no way to run in a squat! You are describing preparing to tackle. That is completely different. The main argument from most of us is that the calls will be much to subjective, and will vary from official to official. There are very few instances where a running back will subject his head to a blow like that. It's not smart ball carrying. Stick to the Pop Warner and JV rules if you want. I prefer men rules.
                      # 80 (For FBomb)

Comment

• Explanation from nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000152145/Crown-of-the-helmet-hit-rule-explained

Jeff Fisher pretty much states it clearly: "Keeping the head up"

Comment

• Remember this rule only applies outside the tackle box. It's not that big a deal. They are trying to avoid the open field full speed helmet to helmet contact.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                            Hitting with the "crown of the helmet" is the violation. If you lower your shoulders while looking up, no violation.
                            Think about you just described .... And simulate it yourself .....how awkward is that .... And the offensive player is in high risk of injuring his neck..... Stupid rule

Comment

• Originally posted by gmenfan0488 View Post
                              Running backs can't drop their pad level anymore. They can't lead with the helmets now. All runners need to run straight upright now . ifhey get low at all, it's a penality. Head up, chin up, so many more concussions are going to happen now, more broken jaws, etc. You cannot get down to protect yourself whatsoever because it will be construed as a penalty.
                              The headline made me think this was another prayer ban
                              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

• I don't like it. I think they should of left well enough alone and just kept it helmet to helmet only
                                Football has been very, very good to us.
                                After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                                But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                                2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                                3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                                4-New York Giants!!!
                                5-NE
                                Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Working...
                                X