runners can no longer lower their heads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by giantyankee1976 View Post
    it's nuts really. look at any vintage NFL film footage. They use to Mack truck defenders and LBs use to kill QBs.

where did that League go to?
    my sentiments exactly

guys bleeding from the mouth
    breaking bones in their face and coming back in the game
    playing for weeks with broken bones
    spitting teeth out on the field before the next snap

now guys are out for 2 months with turf toe

turf toe!!!!!

tell Jack Lambert he has turf toe
    tell Mark Bavaro he can't play because his jaw is broken
    tell Jack Youngblood he has a sprain
    tell Tim Krumrie he cant play because he has stitches
    tell Mike Curtis ...well anything without him knocking you on your ***

this powder puff league makes me sick.....and yet I still watch every second

something wrong with me

Comment

• something wrong with all of us...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yDH6x5JW7M

dude got Macked, LOL
      Last edited by giantyankee1976; 03-20-2013, 10:12 PM.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Comment

• Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
        my sentiments exactly

guys bleeding from the mouth
        breaking bones in their face and coming back in the game
        playing for weeks with broken bones
        spitting teeth out on the field before the next snap

now guys are out for 2 months with turf toe

turf toe!!!!!

tell Jack Lambert he has turf toe
        tell Mark Bavaro he can't play because his jaw is broken
        tell Jack Youngblood he has a sprain
        tell Tim Krumrie he cant play because he has stitches
        tell Mike Curtis ...well anything without him knocking you on your ***

this powder puff league makes me sick.....and yet I still watch every second

something wrong with me
        I'm with you, YA. I watch the games praying that a BS call won't change the game on us. This rule is horrible, and as I read back I agree with dezzz... you can't lower your shoulders without lowering your head... it's biologically impossible. And, if you think it isn't, you never carried the ball in a varsity game and tried to win that one on one battle with a defender aiming to take your kneecaps off. Stand up straight and take it? F NO! You put your head down and and try to get lower than him, and protect yourself and the ball..
        I played RB and QB in HS. We were always taught that the low man wins most battles. How does a RB have a chance not to get crushed if he can't put his head down? Can't be done... and for most runners it is instinctive to try to get low on a would be one on one tackler. Lower your shoulder and try to keep your head up??? You're asking for a broken neck.
        I haven't read all the posts here, so I hope I'm not redundant in saying that I feel a lot of this is posturing... showing the court, in upcoming court battles, that we did everything we could to protect players from concussions. If this concussion suit weren't alive we never would have seen this rule. For the NFL it is better late than never, and they've over-reacted.
        Last edited by zimonami; 03-20-2013, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• Interestingly, brown and Wilson don't seem to lower their heads into contact often.

This could be to the giants benefit

Comment

• Originally posted by giantyankee1976 View Post
            something wrong with all of us...

dude got Macked, LOL
            I ****ing hate Kurt Coleman. Arrogant little ****.
            My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimonami View Post
              I'm with you, YA. I watch the games praying that a BS call won't change the game on us. This rule is horrible, and as I read back I agree with dezzz... you can't lower your shoulders without lowering your head... it's biologically impossible. And, if you think it isn't, you never carried the ball in a varsity game and tried to win that one on one battle with a defender aiming to take your kneecaps off. Stand up straight and take it? F NO! You put your head down and and try to get lower than him, and protect yourself and the ball..
              I played RB and QB in HS. We were always taught that the low man wins most battles. How does a RB have a chance not to get crushed if he can't put his head down? Can't be done... and for most runners it is instinctive to try to get low on a would be one on one tackler. Lower your shoulder and try to keep your head up??? You're asking for a broken neck.
              I haven't read all the posts here, so I hope I'm not redundant in saying that I feel a lot of this is posturing... showing the court, in upcoming court battles, that we did everything we could to protect players from concussions. If this concussion suit weren't alive we never would have seen this rule. For the NFL it is better late than never, and they've over-reacted.
              dead on as always zimmy

Comment

• Time to start watching the big boy league.. AKA the CFL.

Comment

• jeff fisher explained it the best. ppl are misinterpreting and freaking out over a penalty that by the definition would have only been flagged SIX times last yr. again, OUTSIDE the tackle box (basically out in space, even the infamous T.Richardson on Coleman play, Richardson was 1 v 1 outside the Tackle box. Almost ever rb doesnt lead with the crown and instead would try to set up the defender to make him miss. I bet even Richardson would do it different if he were ttrying for yardage, i personally think his intent was to deliver a blow and set the tone).
                  This isnt a every game type penalty. It will be enforced on the blatant, outside the tackle box blatant lead with the crown. all the stuff we loved from rbs is still there. even outside the tackle box, the ball carrier is still allowed to try and go down and can appear like its a crown leading but it wont be called, it has to be blatant that the ball carrier is seeking out a defender to lead with the crown. Jacobs prob woulda been flagged a total of like 3x over the last few yrs...not worried at all, its intended to focus on players out in space running a mile a minute, which imho, a ball carrier shouldnt ever take his eyes away from the field of vision, which u do when leading with the crown...

Comment

• apparently a ton of time is going into this, and the owners/committees all understood the potential complaints from the get go and worked with them in mind. 1 of the first things they want to address is that it isnt something that will be called more than a handful of times. its for the extreme and blatant instances and i dont have an issue trying to take that out of the game. B.Dawkins used to be notorious for spearing after the play with his crown. how many players has he hurt? including himself?

Comment

• Does helmet to helmet contact end up in offsetting penalties?

Comment

• like fisher said the committees were all aware that ball carriers had to have the ability to lower the pad level, bend the hips, and get down as a conservation tactic. that in no way is eligible for the penalty, outside the tackle box or not. they dont want to get rid of that bc thats part of players protect themselves. its when the ball carrier like singles a defender out, and tries using his head as a weapon. basically they want to protect the players from themselves and this isnt a bad idea. i think ppl arent realizing the OUTSIDE the tackle box aspect...

Comment

• Originally posted by mercurio View Post
                          Does helmet to helmet contact end up in offsetting penalties?
                          chances are, if u have 2 players colliding with their crowns, a football game penalty is gonna be the last thing ppl are concerned about...thats usually the time u need ambulances and asap

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                            chances are, if u have 2 players colliding with their crowns, a football game penalty is gonna be the last thing ppl are concerned about...thats usually the time u need ambulances and asap
                            Last season the defense were called for helmet to helmet without using the crown a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                              The headline made me think this was another prayer ban
                              The Tebow Rule

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                                jeff fisher explained it the best. ppl are misinterpreting and freaking out over a penalty that by the definition would have only been flagged SIX times last yr. again, OUTSIDE the tackle box (basically out in space, even the infamous T.Richardson on Coleman play, Richardson was 1 v 1 outside the Tackle box. Almost ever rb doesnt lead with the crown and instead would try to set up the defender to make him miss. I bet even Richardson would do it different if he were ttrying for yardage, i personally think his intent was to deliver a blow and set the tone).
                                This isnt a every game type penalty. It will be enforced on the blatant, outside the tackle box blatant lead with the crown. all the stuff we loved from rbs is still there. even outside the tackle box, the ball carrier is still allowed to try and go down and can appear like its a crown leading but it wont be called, it has to be blatant that the ball carrier is seeking out a defender to lead with the crown. Jacobs prob woulda been flagged a total of like 3x over the last few yrs...not worried at all, its intended to focus on players out in space running a mile a minute, which imho, a ball carrier shouldnt ever take his eyes away from the field of vision, which u do when leading with the crown...
                                I hope you're right. You make good points. As Slip pointed out, Brown and Wilson run more upright, preferring to use their vision and speed and moves to elude a tackle, rather than challenge it. Someone else pointed out that Bradshaw ran with his head down, but I think he ran more upright in his early years and gradually started to lower his head when he was found no holes and no place to run and elude. At or behind the LOS he lowered his head instead of hitting a hole straight up and get crushed. Out in the open field a good RB always feels he can elude a one on one, and must remain upright to do that. Jacobs didn't have that elusiveness, so it was head down and plow the defender under (Like Landry... who can forget that embarrassment?...hahaha... it was shown 10,000 times on these boards.
                                We'll see. I've seen poor enforcement of the rules cost us a few games in the past. I'll never forget the first year of the "In the grasp rule". Scott Brunner was scrambling for his life and broke free across the LOS and looked to make a nice gain and a first down, and a San Diego defender dove at him in the open field and got a hand on Brunner's foot. Brunner easily and instantly pulled his leg free, running past the first down marker. TOO Late. A ref called in the grasp, and Brunner was a few yards short and we had to punt. We lost that game by less than a TD.

Comment

Working...
                                X