spitting teeth out on the field before the next snap

now guys are out for 2 months with turf toe

turf toe!!!!!

tell Jack Lambert he has turf toe
    tell Mark Bavaro he can't play because his jaw is broken
    tell Jack Youngblood he has a sprain
    tell Tim Krumrie he cant play because he has stitches
    tell Mike Curtis ...well anything without him knocking you on your ***

this powder puff league makes me sick.....and yet I still watch every second

something wrong with me
    You're right about those days of yore, and about those guys in particular.

On the other hand, Jim Brown has said he sees nothing wrong with the new helmet rule, that in fact he never led with the crown of his helmet because that seemed stupid and would more likely hurt himself more than the opponent. As he put it, he used his hand, his shoulder, his shoulder pads.

And I'm pretty sure I can safely assume you viewed Brown as a tough sob.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimonami View Post
      I hope you're right. You make good points. As Slip pointed out, Brown and Wilson run more upright, preferring to use their vision and speed and moves to elude a tackle, rather than challenge it. Someone else pointed out that Bradshaw ran with his head down, but I think he ran more upright in his early years and gradually started to lower his head when he was found no holes and no place to run and elude. At or behind the LOS he lowered his head instead of hitting a hole straight up and get crushed. Out in the open field a good RB always feels he can elude a one on one, and must remain upright to do that. Jacobs didn't have that elusiveness, so it was head down and plow the defender under (Like Landry... who can forget that embarrassment?...hahaha... it was shown 10,000 times on these boards.
      We'll see. I've seen poor enforcement of the rules cost us a few games in the past. I'll never forget the first year of the "In the grasp rule". Scott Brunner was scrambling for his life and broke free across the LOS and looked to make a nice gain and a first down, and a San Diego defender dove at him in the open field and got a hand on Brunner's foot. Brunner easily and instantly pulled his leg free, running past the first down marker. TOO Late. A ref called in the grasp, and Brunner was a few yards short and we had to punt. We lost that game by less than a TD.
      Glad you referenced the in-the-grasp rule. It was reversed after a few years, wasn't it? Same thing will happen with this rule if it is as bad as many here fear. I personally don't think it will be nearly as bad or mis-officiated as everyone seems to believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by gmen46 View Post
        Glad you referenced the in-the-grasp rule. It was reversed after a few years, wasn't it? Same thing will happen with this rule if it is as bad as many here fear. I personally don't think it will be nearly as bad or mis-officiated as everyone seems to believe.
        You never know if the refs will have trouble with it until we see some penalties. I don't think this goes away anytime soon, mostly because of the concussion suits. NFL is almost forced to establish that it takes the problem seriously and don't want concussions.
        You're right about J.Brown... a tough sob. He had such strong legs and hips that he just shred a lot of would be tacklers... left them eating dirt. But there also wasn't a lot of kamikaze tacklers back then. IT was a different game, and the players weren't chiselled rock then, either. Few giuys worked in the offseason, and took weights seriously. Many had to work A second job from December to June. Preseason was to get in shape. Today if you don't come to camp in shape, your at a big disadvantage. You see the old player pics and you don't see the ripped physiques that you see today..

Comment

• thank u for bringing some actual intelligence to the thread zimonami.

the way i see it, is intentional grounding all that difficult to call? i mean that has some grayish areas to it. but really, the refs are looking to see where the qb is in relation to the rule. once the qb escapes the pocket, the refs know the ball simply must reach the LOSish if the QB throws it away.

Same thing with this new rule, imo. The refs will know when the penalty is even eligible. Once the ball carrier is OUTSIDE the tackle box, and I dont think its gonna be measured to the inch, I'm sure the refs will allow some more room in the defining of the tackle box as to reduce the area of the field the refs have to even look for it. but anyways, once the ball carriers outside, the ref will know what to look for...a player who has no interest in advancing the ball or protecting himself, but instead is using the crown of his helmet as a weapon to inflcit harm intentionally.

remember, even if the ball carrier does contact a defender with the crown of his helmet outside the tackle box, if hes doing so in an attempt to lower the pad level and get low to protect himself and get down, it isnt a penalty.

the difference between both scenarios should be clear.

does anyone have clarification for what "endline" means. the area that isnt affected by the new rule is between the tackles, 3 yds within the LOS to the endline. I take that to mean goal line but why then would they not just use the term goal line. could it mean 1rst down marker? they need to define end line...

Comment

• These are all just knee jerk reactions to the rule, I admit at first I was pissed, but after reading a bit it starts to make sense =P

Comment

• Originally posted by Eli TO Shockey View Post
              Romo wants Rodgers money...and he's going to get it.

To quote the great Tiki Barber..."thats COMICAL!"
              If the Cowboys get Romo for Rodgers money they are set! Rodgers makes less than half of what Eli makes! lol

Comment

• Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post

I ****ing hate Kurt Coleman. Arrogant little ****.
                Go back and pause the video at 30-31 seconds. Coleman's helmet is halfway off his face before Trent even contacts him. The play is being blown way out of proportion and Richardson could have just shoved him and his helmet would have came off. Coleman's going in for the tackle and his chin strap is on his nose.

To think this play was the catalyst to the new rule is just ridiculous.
                "You killed my family, and I don't like that kind of thing."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                  That's how I feel you might as well make it flag football or touch

Comment

• Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post
                    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-rule-passes/

I don't see this working out well. The officials have enough to worry about.
                    I lost interest in basketball and baseball...... and now Goodell is on a mission to make football an over officiated, unwatchable mess as well!
                    Another arcane rule whose only affect will be to to call back big runs and ruin the outcome of games. And to make matters worse...it's not even reviewable which is ludicrous!
                    God how I long for the good ole days of sports
                    "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

• 1) The Richardson play is not blown out of proportion. It has nothing to do with the helmet flying off. It has to do with Trent leading with his crown and putting his own neck in severe jeopardy. He could of very easily broke his own neck.

2) This is not a new rule. It has always been illegal to lead with your crown. Now it is just being enforced. Not to mention only outside the tackle box.

3) Goodell has very little to do with this. He is just the representative for the owners. And competition committee. If you have an issue, blame the owners and CC.

4) If you love this game, you will accept these safety issues. I've watched first hand in the last 10 years that youth football is losing numbers at a staggering pace. Up to 30% less kids are signing up to play. Why is that when the game itself has never been more popular? Because parents don't feel its a safe enough sport and are pushing their kids towards other "safer" sports. If that keeps up another 15 years, the NFL will suffer greatly. Youth football is the backbone of this sport. If we don't get the kids and parents back on our side we could lose this incredible game all together.

5) This board is a breeding ground of misinformation from people who have zero clue what they are talking about. Does anyone actually do their own research before spouting of nonesense?

Comment

• Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
                        1) The Richardson play is not blown out of proportion. It has nothing to do with the helmet flying off. It has to do with Trent leading with his crown and putting his own neck in severe jeopardy. He could of very easily broke his own neck.

2) This is not a new rule. It has always been illegal to lead with your crown. Now it is just being enforced. Not to mention only outside the tackle box.

3) Goodell has very little to do with this. He is just the representative for the owners. And competition committee. If you have an issue, blame the owners and CC.

4) If you love this game, you will accept these safety issues. I've watched first hand in the last 10 years that youth football is losing numbers at a staggering pace. Up to 30% less kids are signing up to play. Why is that when the game itself has never been more popular? Because parents don't feel its a safe enough sport and are pushing their kids towards other "safer" sports. If that keeps up another 15 years, the NFL will suffer greatly. Youth football is the backbone of this sport. If we don't get the kids and parents back on our side we could lose this incredible game all together.

5) This board is a breeding ground of misinformation from people who have zero clue what they are talking about. Does anyone actually do their own research before spouting of nonesense?
                        +1 excellent post... especially the part about Goodell having very little to do with this. He is the mouth piece for the owners and the competition committee. And , btw, our owner is a very big part of the competition committee.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueJayC View Post
                          So this is now a 15 yarder? Awful:

No, Bradshaw led with the shoulder, not his head.

Comment

• Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
                            1) The Richardson play is not blown out of proportion. It has nothing to do with the helmet flying off. It has to do with Trent leading with his crown and putting his own neck in severe jeopardy. He could of very easily broke his own neck.
                            Oh come on. Players have been doing it since football's inception. He was getting low because a player was in front of him squared up and he dropped his pad level. Do you really think he's using the force of his blow with his helmet? No...he's putting the force of his weight in his momentum with the top of his shoulders. The helmet goes down when players get low.

Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
                            No doubt but if a runner drops his pad level then how can it be distinguished if he's actually leading with the crown if helmets make contact (which is going to happen no matter what). Runners can't always run with their heads up and if they plan on protecting themselves.

I guess all the people speaking out about this rule including former NFL players and RB's haven't done their research either huh? They're just talking from nonsense.
                            Last edited by titwio; 03-21-2013, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nygpolishpunk View Post
                              No, Bradshaw led with the shoulder, not his head.
                              It happens so fast these refs wont be able to tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                                It happens so fast these refs wont be able to tell.
                                Exactly.

Comment

Working...
                                X