runners can no longer lower their heads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
    I don't like this rule from the standpoint of adding another highly subjective judgment on to the Ref's plate.

Imagine a flag calling back an 80 yard TD run because Adrian Petersen lead with his helmet to get in the end zone.
    That's flat out stupid.
    Mood: WOOF!

Comment

I cant wait till the NFL is full of 160 pound soccer players.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJayC View Post
        So this is now a 15 yarder? Awful:

Was thinking of this too. But in this view looks like contact is more with the shoulder. So what's the call? That's the bad part of rules like this. One crew will flag it and another won't. A wider view at various angles show other players in close proximity. Is this open field? Just a horrible rule change. WAY too subjective.

So how many running backs get their ribs caved in for fear of a 15 yard penalty. This rule change will be more dangerous to the backs. I'm stupified
        Last edited by GiantRoc; 03-20-2013, 01:45 PM.
        # 80 (For FBomb)

Comment

Originally posted by gmenfan0488 View Post
          Runners need to run straight up now. they can't protect themselves. if they get low at all, it's a penality. Head up, chin up, so many more concussions are going to happen now, more broken jaws, etc. You cannot get down to protect yourself whatsoever because it will be construed as a penalty.
          The quickest way to get hurt is by running straight up. lol. I don't think this new rule is going to be much of an issue. I think it's going to be easy to spot, much like the horse collar tackle. It will be more obvious compared to a defender that does it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
            Because this is a Giants forum.

Yes. I understand that it's a majority vote, but Mara is one of 8 members (as is Stepehn Jones) of the competition committee who proposed the rule.

I personally have no issue with the rule after reading several explanations. But for the people that do have issue with it, maybe they'll consider the source of the rule proposition before bashing it.

edit: Not exactly sure why you're being so touchy about it. Doesn't seem like you...
            It seemed you were zeroing in on John Mara which has been going on from Dallas and Washington since they got caught with their hands in the CBA lockout jar. But if you say that wasn't your intent, I'll accept that. It's been reported the vote was 31 - 1
            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
              I don't like this rule from the standpoint of adding another highly subjective judgment on to the Ref's plate.

Imagine a flag calling back an 80 yard TD run because Adrian Petersen lead with his helmet to get in the end zone.
              who cares about AP. As long as isnt Wilson or Brown
              "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
              You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

We'll start seeing 6'5 270 lb RB's

Comment

Originally posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
                  But in reality 99 of a 100 times on a bang-bang play that is going to get called, mark my words.
                  I think it will be just the opposite....
                  "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                  You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

^^
                    Give me a break. This is a great rule change. It about time ball carriers are being held responsible for helmet hits. This I not one of those outrageous changes that lessens the toughness in the game. This is a change coaches and defensive players have been asking for for years.

You don't need to lead with the crown. Helmets aren't supposed to be weapons. You are supposed to lower your shoulder not your head

Comment

ridiculous

from the time these guys are 10 years old they are taught to lower their pad level upon impact.......what happens when you lower your pad level????....your head goes down .

this is going to be a very difficult thing to officiate in real time and will ruin more games than players it saves

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                        It seemed you were zeroing in on John Mara which has been going on from Dallas and Washington since they got caught with their hands in the CBA lockout jar. But if you say that wasn't your intent, I'll accept that. It's been reported the vote was 31 - 1
                        Understandable. I'm over the cap debacle. Was it annoying? Yeah, but I've come to accept a few things on the issue.

1.) The NFL does not operate the same as most businesses as evidenced by many of the actions and events it practices.
                        2.) Therefore, with consensus, pretty much anything passed can be legal as justified by the vague nature of the 'spirit of competition'.
                        3.) The competition committee acted within NFL guidelines to reduce the cap space of both franchises.
                        4.) It wasn't completely unwarranted. It's not like Snyder and Jones are saints in this scenario. They did, in fact, try to gain a competitive advantage in 2010 by manipulating the salary cap for future years to a greater extent than most other teams.

Those are the main points... I could go on, but I think it's clear here and no one here would probably debate otherwise.

But back to the topic... from what I can infer is that this rule, while it may annoyingly slow the pace of some games, actually does a lot to address a sizeable issue with chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

In the end, it will probably work out just like any other new rule.

Comment

DP

Comment

Originally posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
                            WOW , I never thought it was going to pass. They are just changing the product so much with all those BS rules that in the end its going to bite them back .
                            ^^
                            Give me a break. This is a great rule change. It about time ball carriers are being held responsible for helmet hits. This is not one of those outrageous changes that lessens the toughness in the game. This is a change coaches and defensive players have been asking for for years.

You don't need to lead with the crown. Helmets aren't supposed to be weapons. You are supposed to lower your shoulder not your head.

Some of you sound like you have zero knowledge of the correct techniques that are used in this game.

Normally I am against these changes, but this one is an absolute no brainer.

Comment

@ProFootballTalk: Rich McKay says NFL studied Week 10 and Week 16 from 2012; there would have been 11 flags under the new helmet rule during those two weeks. I wonder if he witnessed any injuries...
                              Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
                                ^^
                                Give me a break. This is a great rule change. It about time ball carriers are being held responsible for helmet hits. This I not one of those outrageous changes that lessens the toughness in the game. This is a change coaches and defensive players have been asking for for years.

You don't need to lead with the crown. Helmets aren't supposed to be weapons. You are supposed to lower your shoulder not your head
                                How does one lower their shoulder without lowering their head? This is going to be called every other play.
                                Last edited by dezzzR; 03-20-2013, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X