Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    ridiculous

from the time these guys are 10 years old they are taught to lower their pad level upon impact.......what happens when you lower your pad level????....your head goes down .

this is going to be a very difficult thing to officiate in real time and will ruin more games than players it saves
    Wrong. When lowering pad level you are using your hips and knees to get lower. NOT your neck and back.

I've been coaching for 9 years and not once do you need to lead with your crown to make a tackle or break a tackle.

Go check out that clip of B. Jacobs running over the guy from Washington. He lead with his shoulder not his head. If a 6'5 guy can do it properly anyone can.
    Last edited by AGiantDynasty; 03-20-2013, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I think its time to start to threaten the league with boycotts, or have a big petition. If fans do nothing theyll keep making these terrible rules.

Comment

Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
        How does one lower their shoulder without lowering their head?
        Hitting with the "crown of the helmet" is the violation. If you lower your shoulders while looking up, no violation.
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
          I think its time to start to threaten the league with boycotts, or have a big petition. If fans do nothing theyll keep making these terrible rules.
          The lawsuits that are mounting from former players are driving this safety push. They have to do something to counter the barrage.
          “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
            ^^
            Give me a break. This is a great rule change. It about time ball carriers are being held responsible for helmet hits. This I not one of those outrageous changes that lessens the toughness in the game. This is a change coaches and defensive players have been asking for for years.

You don't need to lead with the crown. Helmets aren't supposed to be weapons. You are supposed to lower your shoulder not your head
            Thank you Rosie O'donnell.
            I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
              The lawsuits that are mounting from former players are driving this safety push. They have to do something to counter the barrage.
              Waivers ftw!
              I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Why don't the NFL go ahead and make it two hand touch and be done with it.....

Comment

Hitting with the "crown of the helmet" is the violation. If you lower your shoulders while looking up, no violation.
                  +1

At least there is one person on here that has a clue about proper technique.

Comment

This sort of thing is going to continue to happen. You have far too many former players with brain damage. Either the league makes proactive changes to try and protect players or the league gets hit by so many lawsuits that it will cease to exist. This is going on in other contact sports as well. I coach HS lacrosse and I can tell you for certain the game I coach now if far less violent than the game I played 20 years ago.

Besides, pass rushers haven't been able to flat out KILL qbs for many years now. I still get excited as I ever have when we get to the passer though. If rules like this prevent injuries long and short term I am all for them. Change was coming, if you haven't seen it you haven't been paying attention. I want the NFL to be around a while and changes like this are necessary to make that happen.

Comment

Then the NFL needs to start giving out better contracts when players enter the NFL. If they want to play make them sign something that says they understand the dangers and that they cant sue after they retire.

Comment

You can lower your shoulder, but its a natural reflex to drop the helmet when taking on a defender. Should be interesting to see how closely they call this.... It may be like Holding, it happens on most every play, but only gets called a few times a game.

Comment

Great post, Rtlax.

Comment

Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
                            Wrong. When lowering pad level you are using your hips and knees to get lower. NOT your neck and back.

I've been coaching for 9 years and not once do you need to lead with your crown to make a tackle or break a tackle.

Go check out that clip of B. Jacobs running over the guy from Washington. He lead with his shoulder not his head. If a 6'5 guy can do it properly anyone can.
                            wow thats a pretty amazing talent to be able to lower your pad level without lowering your head ....plastic man anyone?

I played ball at every level....
                            even was invited to and participated in an NFL training camp

and I hate to break it to you coach

but lowering your pad level for a runner involves lowering his head

players are coached to lower their pad level and protect the ball in a crouch position upon impact....and guess what...the head is involved

if you coach runners to lower their pad level and keep their head up you should be stripped of your coaching duties

and yeah watch those Jacobs highlights.....was his head up?

was Earl Campbells head up in all those highlights that are cellebrated?

Mike Alstott?...etc etc .....

Comment

For those that are opposed to this, it is fair to assume that you have not played football at a pop-warner /junior/high-school/ semi-pro level/College level. You are thought as a running back to brace for impact but covering the ball up with both hands, compacting your body like a turtle, and leading with a shoulder, not running at full sprint with your head aimed to the impending defender. At least that is what I was thought from 6-19. I can hear my Midwood high school coach yelling in my ears right now “This ain’t the goddamn WWF, don’t spear the LB, protect yourself and the ****ing ball.”
                              The rule change is for blatant offenses, if a runner shows the intent to lower and drive the crown of his helmet to brace or inflict. Then it would get called, most runners lead with their shoulders but its so spilt second that it looks like they are leading with their head to the casual viewer watching at home. If anything this will probably slow the game down a bit with reviews or bickering defenders trying to get a call or something. But to say the NFL is becoming flag football or that the game is getting soft, that’s just ignorance.

Thanks for reading. Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                                Waivers ftw!
                                Until a court of competent jurisdiction provides a decision on a test case, they are going to continue to find ways to protect players.

Comment

Working...
                                X