7+ million offered to Cruz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zaggs View Post
    Its not concentrating in so few, its how much. 54 million for the top 5 (top 5 against the cap) Giants players this year. Thats alot when you look at other teams. Baltimore for example. They're the champs. This year their top 5 counted 44.4 mil to the cap, but next year it will be 62.5 mil (Way to go Joe). Look whats happening to their team. San Fran's top 5 were 37 mil. Green Bay 40.3 mil. Not average teams, yet less tied up in their top 5. Heck I bet every team in the playoffs this year had less tied up in their top 5. The biggest problem of course is Eli's number of 20 mil. That number has got to come down. He's my favorite Giants QB of all time, but come on, his deal needs reworking. Plus do you really think the linebackers and secondary can get us to the Super Bowl now as is? What about the offensive line? Wouldn't you like to have some money to put towards those positions in the next couple of years?
    What happened to the Ravens this year is what happens when you have a TON of FAs then win the SB.

SF has less tied up because Smith is a marginal starting QB and Kaepernick is still on a rookie deal, along with a good number of their starters. Coming over the next season or two, that's going to change or they will face an exodus much like Baltimore (they lost Walker and Goldson this year).

GB still has Rodgers on a very friendly contract. That's going to change this upcoming season. You think that Flacco's deal was big?

Eli's cap number is a direct result of Eli restructuring last year. The only thing that can be done to lower it, other that an outright pay cut,. is by extending him. Our LBs and secondary were good enough to get us to the SB in '11, and save for Phillips leaving, we're no worse off now there than we were then.

As far as spending money towards the OL, right now that's probably our most expensive unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Drez View Post
      What happened to the Ravens this year is what happens when you have a TON of FAs then win the SB.

SF has less tied up because Smith is a marginal starting QB and Kaepernick is still on a rookie deal, along with a good number of their starters. Coming over the next season or two, that's going to change or they will face an exodus much like Baltimore (they lost Walker and Goldson this year).

GB still has Rodgers on a very friendly contract. That's going to change this upcoming season. You think that Flacco's deal was big?

Eli's cap number is a direct result of Eli restructuring last year. The only thing that can be done to lower it, other that an outright pay cut,. is by extending him. Our LBs and secondary were good enough to get us to the SB in '11, and save for Phillips leaving, we're no worse off now there than we were then.

As far as spending money towards the OL, right now that's probably our most expensive unit.
      And the other playoff teams?
      Roger's cap number only goes up by about 1.3 mil next year, so he'll still be 9 mil below Eli's cap hit.
      I'm just talking about 5 top salaries counted against the cap, not just QB's or skill positions. But take San Fran, give Colin 10 million (they can't) more next yet and their top 5 cap hit will still be less than the Giants.
      Flacco's cap hit goes up by 8 mil next year. So yeah, it was kinda big.
      Make what excuses you want. But teams with better cap situations at the top were better than the Giants. I don't see that trend reversing next year barring a tremendous rookie class. But lets look at the Giants cap for to 2014 season. Lets assume somehow Rolle is completely off the books. The top 5 by my guess would be: Eli-20.4, Nicks 10 (8/year+2 bonus), Snee-9, Cruz-8.5 (7/yr+1.5 bonus), Baas-8.2 for a total of 56.1. Keep in mind, this was JPP's 3rd year so he can renegotiate his deal. Amukamara is entering his 3rd year and can renegotiate for 2014 as well. If they both go up by 6 mil a year, add in the rookie class for 5 and guess what? You're at 123 million with just 53 players (assuming 7 draft picks). So no FA's again next year.

Comment

Great deal for both sides

Comment

The trap is set, let's see if Cruz falls . It sounds like a great deal if you ask me.
          " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
            The trap is set, let's see if Cruz falls . It sounds like a great deal if you ask me.
            I think he may sign the tender, gamble on himself and cash in next year. I wouldn't be mad at him at all. grab every dollar you can why you can. NFL careers are too short. he doesn't owe us or the giants anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaggs View Post
              And the other playoff teams?
              Roger's cap number only goes up by about 1.3 mil next year, so he'll still be 9 mil below Eli's cap hit.
              I'm just talking about 5 top salaries counted against the cap, not just QB's or skill positions. But take San Fran, give Colin 10 million (they can't) more next yet and their top 5 cap hit will still be less than the Giants.
              Flacco's cap hit goes up by 8 mil next year. So yeah, it was kinda big.
              Make what excuses you want. But teams with better cap situations at the top were better than the Giants. I don't see that trend reversing next year barring a tremendous rookie class. But lets look at the Giants cap for to 2014 season. Lets assume somehow Rolle is completely off the books. The top 5 by my guess would be: Eli-20.4, Nicks 10 (8/year+2 bonus), Snee-9, Cruz-8.5 (7/yr+1.5 bonus), Baas-8.2 for a total of 56.1. Keep in mind, this was JPP's 3rd year so he can renegotiate his deal. Amukamara is entering his 3rd year and can renegotiate for 2014 as well. If they both go up by 6 mil a year, add in the rookie class for 5 and guess what? You're at 123 million with just 53 players (assuming 7 draft picks). So no FA's again next year.
              A little off topic, but every time I see Bass's numbers I cringe. He may be THE worst FA signing we have ever made. Zero ROI!
              Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                lets say its a 3 yr deal at 7 mil per. 21 mil. if they were to guarantee say 14 mil of that 21, how could cruz turn that down? nfl contracts trick fans bc people look at the overall # when its really the guaranteed that the teams are on the hook for, and at 12 mil guaranteed for 3 yrs, in terms of % of overall number guaranteed, he'd actually be up there with the top wr's pay i would assume
                He would likely want a longer contract. Condon and Reese will figure it out.
                “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
                  I think he may sign the tender, gamble on himself and cash in next year. I wouldn't be mad at him at all. grab every dollar you can why you can. NFL careers are too short. he doesn't owe us or the giants anything.
                  Here's the big problem with accepting the tender. NONE of it is guaranteed. This is a long term league in terms of paydays. The longer the cnotractand the bigger the guaranteee the better the deal.
                  “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
                    Why only 3 years? I'd rather 4 or MAYBE 5.. I don't wanna go through this crap in another 3 years.
                    That may well be what Cruz and Condon think.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
                      Same article.

"No other team appears willing to relinquish both a first-round pick and a long-term contract for the rights to Cruz."

No surprise there. No team has done it since 2003

Comment

Originally posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
                        Three years isn't that great a deal, 5 would be best so they will probably agree to 4

Comment

I think $7 million is right were neither side is wrong. I don't blame Cruz for wanting more based on his production, and I don't blame the FO for not wanting to pay more based on who we have left to sign (Nicks) and what Cruz's value is in our offense.

The tender is the last option. I think he would only sign the tender if he plans on parting ways with NY for sure after next year. Otherwise he's forgoing 4.2 million in salary for next year. I don't think our position will change even if Cruz has a good year next year.
                          Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

I think three years is great. Cruz gets paid pretty well for the next few seasons and if he keeps playing at a pro-bowl level then he gets a chance to get a big pay day in 2016.My only worry is that if he feels that he can get a bigger offer next offseason when he's a UFA and therefore will just play on a tender so he can test the market next year. Think we'd just franchise him anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                              No surprise there. No team has done it since 2003
                              Which surprises me actually because the Seahawks were willing to trade for Harvin. Its the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                                Three years isn't that great a deal, 5 would be best so they will probably agree to 4
                                I think 8 million a year 4-5 year is the magic number to get this done. thats my limit if Im the Giants. They have to try to keep Nicks and Cruz around 15-16 million combined

Comment

Working...
                                X