X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bansaw View Post
    then he'll get lazy till the next contract year like 95% of these guys
    Stop with that Canadian logic
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

• Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
      Except we already "know" it's more than $7 coming out of the gate. Whatever any of us think about Cruz, he has been underpaid for three years, certainly two. That's how it works, you play under the contract you sign. But he deserves a decent payday and the Giants seem to agree. In the NFL, quibbling over $1M for a play maker on the rise just doesn't make sense.
      With all due respect my friend, when reports were out there that Cruz was asking for $8 to $10MM/year, you were appropriately skeptical.
      This $7MM+ report could be very misleading. It could be a contract offer with a huge payment at the end to increase the average. It could also be incorrect.
      I think reports of what a player is asking for and what a team is offering, before we have an announced deal, could be posturing by one side or the other.

In other words, we don't really "know" anything, except ambiguous reports of $7MM/year offers.
      Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• I heard lots of guaranteed money so its definitely back loaded large

Comment

• also it depends on what other teams are willing to pay him and give up a 1st pick. Does Cruz want to be with a potential SB contender like the Giants or does he just want a payday??
          "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
            With all due respect my friend, when reports were out there that Cruz was asking for $8 to $10MM/year, you were appropriately skeptical.
            This $7MM+ report could be very misleading. It could be a contract offer with a huge payment at the end to increase the average. It could also be incorrect.
            I think reports of what a player is asking for and what a team is offering, before we have an announced deal, could be posturing by one side or the other.

In other words, we don't really "know" anything, except ambiguous reports of $7MM/year offers.

You did see the quotes around know, yes? I am always skeptical, but it's the number we're working with at this moment in time. I have also been consistent in saying $7 -8 M would be the eventual deal.
            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

We can have them ride with the Chippendales.

Seriously, I think they're close to getting this done with Cruz. I'd rather see a 5 year deal to usher Eli into retirement, but I wonder how much closer this will be to 8 than 7 when it's done??
              If its close to 8 I think we won't be able to resign Nicks if he plays a full year.

What I hope is that Nicks stays healthy. If he does he will produce, but his numbers will be misleading because teams will roll coverage toward him. Looking at his body of work it may look like its worth just a little more than Cruz. End result- we ink him at 8-9 million. (I really don't think this is realistic.)

I think if he's healthy for the entire season we'll have a better record and make the playoffs and be SB contenders and Nicks's agent will factor the team offense success into the negotiations, beyond his individual success. I can see him asking for $10 and I can't blame him if he stays healthy. With his injury history he knows better than anybody that his plane won't fly forever.
              Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

• Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                also it depends on what other teams are willing to pay him and give up a 1st pick. Does Cruz want to be with a potential SB contender like the Giants or does he just want a payday??
                I think he answered that question when he hired Condon.

Comment

• Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                  also it depends on what other teams are willing to pay him and give up a 1st pick. Does Cruz want to be with a potential SB contender like the Giants or does he just want a payday??
                  I'll take payday at 3/2 odds

Comment

• Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
                    If its close to 8 I think we won't be able to resign Nicks if he plays a full year.

What I hope is that Nicks stays healthy. If he does he will produce, but his numbers will be misleading because teams will roll coverage toward him. Looking at his body of work it may look like its worth just a little more than Cruz. End result- we ink him at 8-9 million. (I really don't think this is realistic.)

I think if he's healthy for the entire season we'll have a better record and make the playoffs and be SB contenders and Nicks's agent will factor the team offense success into the negotiations, beyond his individual success. I can see him asking for $10 and I can't blame him if he stays healthy. With his injury history he knows better than anybody that his plane won't fly forever.
                    I think they have a line they won't cross with Cruz so they can have Nicks signed as well going into the 2014 season. The CAP space numbers improve some after 2013.

Comment

I'll take payday at 3/2 odds
                      then he goes down as a just another WR in the history of the NFL......

his choice.....
                      "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

I heard lots of guaranteed money so its definitely back loaded large
                        Well really guaranteed money is front loaded. But as far as the cap is concerned, the bonus can be spread out over the life of the contract. So the money is paid early but it doesn't count as much up front.
                        I don't see this. I see a deal where the Giants get an out in year 3 or 4 without a huge cap hit.
                        I'm still sticking to my original prediction. 4 years/ $25 to $28MM with about $11 to $13MM guaranteed. With escalating salaries each year and the last year being something like $8 or $9 MM. (that we don't have to pay if we release or restructure by then).

With our cap situation, it HAS to be cap friendly this season. Nothing else makes sense to me.

And that may be the hangup.

Comment

Well really guaranteed money is front loaded. But as far as the cap is concerned, the bonus can be spread out over the life of the contract. So the money is paid early but it doesn't count as much up front.
                          I don't see this. I see a deal where the Giants get an out in year 3 or 4 without a huge cap hit.
                          I'm still sticking to my original prediction. 4 years/ $25 to $28MM with about $11 to $13MM guaranteed. With escalating salaries each year and the last year being something like $8 or $9 MM. (that we don't have to pay if we release or restructure by then).

With our cap situation, it HAS to be cap friendly this season. Nothing else makes sense to me.

It will be interesting so see how close the "report" is to reality.

Comment

You did see the quotes around know, yes? I am always skeptical, but it's the number we're working with at this moment in time. I have also been consistent in saying $7 -8 M would be the eventual deal.
                            Well what does "$7 or $8 MM" really mean.
                            Does it represent the average if he plays out the entirety of the deal? Does it mean what we have to count this season? That figure means nothing really.
                            All that matters is the guaranteed money, the amount of years that we have his rights, and the cap hit.

If you look at Ed Reed, he got essentially a 1 year, $6MM deal. Its shown as 3 years and $15MM, but that's really not what it is unless the Texans want to keep him after this year. These NFL deals can't be reduced to "annual pay". they are too complex because they can be voided by the team.

Comment

guaranteed money has nothing to do with cap year one

it just means he's guaranteed that money agreed upon

say 4yrs at 32 million ... 20 million guaranteed. back load year 4 for cap
                              Last edited by bansaw; 03-24-2013, 10:02 AM.

Comment

It will be interesting so see how close the "report" is to reality.
                                We've already heard a lot of bogus "reports" since free agency started.

Comment

Working...
                                X