The defense scares me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
    It should worry everyone. They have one reliable DE, one reliable DT, one reliable CB, a couple of promising Safeties, and a patch work group of LB's.
    So, Will Hills a promising safety, but Hosley dosen't even get included as a promising CB? I understand some of u like Will Hill, but jeez!!!lol Jaquain Williams is just as promising as Will Hill is.. Cullen Jenkins is a fine DT additon that i think is gonna fit this defense really well and help against the run while adding pressure on occasion.. Sure we got area's of concern, like the LB core, and players for the future, but we still got the draft, which should really add to the infusion of intriguing players that are starting to pile up like Ojomo, Hosley, J.Williams, Prince, JPP, Hill, Joseph, and Kuhn.. I mean, u add some other defensive pieces to that group, antd u got something to look forward to..

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
      Shouldn't we wait to see how they play?
      Yeah we have no choice to see how it plays out. But, honestly, when you see this defensive line up, does it give you any high hopes at all???

Comment

really...its no dif then last year and thats bad.
        The only dif is maybe some of the younger guys and can step up and show their worth....
        "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
        You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by Drez View Post
          If Prince was still raw last year, I don't even want to know what his ceiling is.

Brown, despite having 8 picks, wasn't all that spectacular in coverage. His blown coverage directly resulted in a few big TDs.

While I think CWeb is going to rebound, I don't think he's going to be as dominant as he used to be. Prince is our #1 CB right now. CWeb was bad for more than just a few games last year, though. Considering his age and the considerable drop off in play, it is a concern whether or not CWeb is going to bounce back or if last year was a sign of permanent decline.

Linval played well, considering he had crap playing next to him all year.

JPP, while not racking up a ton of sacks, still was great against the run and got more consistent pressure than any of our other linemen. Also, while TC may have said that JPP should shed a few pounds, that doesn't mean he's overweight. It just means he's not at his optimum playing weight. Weight for a DE, especially a guy like JPP, is very fluid while he and the coaching and conditioning staffs try to figure out how to maximize his strength while not losing his athleticism. Lowering his weight should also help with his conditioning. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I'd be shocked if JPP didn't lead the team in defensive snaps.

Outside of the SB run last year, Tuck has played like crap the last two years. I don't know if his head and/or heart is truly in the game anymore, or if he's struggling with some greater demon that might be affecting his play (such as clinical depression). He is a question mark going forward. If nothing else, more so than JPP.

Kiwi is anything but a hole. He's coming back to DE. He might not be the best pass rusher, but he adequate. He's also good against the run. He's not "damaged" or anything like that from having had to play LB for a couple years. He'll slip back into his old position like a hand into a glove.
          great post
          sigpic
          FUTURE NY GIANTS PLAYER

2015 season tbd

Comment

I don't get it. Has the Defense not scared you the past few years??
            Let's get one for the thumb...

Comment

Originally posted by ryan12 View Post
              great post
              Thanks.

Comment

The scariest part of the defense is that it's run by Perry Fewell. Let me remind everyone, the original reason he was brought in as the DC was because he was able to take a crappy Buffalo Bills secondary and make them seventh in the league. At the time, we had a dominant pass rush, so we figured we could use a guy like Fewell to improve our secondary.

Since he has been here, our defense and secondary has been in the bottom 25. Our pass rush last year fell off a cliff. Our secondary, which was bad the year before, went flying off the ledge with the pass rush as well.

Fewell's only "creative" scheme is his 3 safety set which we don't even have the personnel for anymore. I know he's a Coughlin disciple, but he should be shouldering a ton of blame.

Lets not forget, Rob Ryan, through a ton on injuries, schemed the Cowboys to the 19th rated defense, and he got fired.

Comment

Originally posted by Drez View Post
                  Thanks.
                  your welcome. i exp agreed with your prince statement if he was considered "raw" last year then his ceiling will be off the hook
                  sigpic
                  FUTURE NY GIANTS PLAYER

2015 season tbd

Comment

Stevie Brown was a new comer to the team last year and still learning the defense and yet was a spectacular player for us, the mistakes he made on defense was in my opinion directly related to his learning curve with the defense, this guy is going to be an outstanding player IMO...

Comment

Originally posted by JesseJames View Post
                      Stevie Brown was a new comer to the team last year and still learning the defense and yet was a spectacular player for us, the mistakes he made on defense was in my opinion directly related to his learning curve with the defense, this guy is going to be an outstanding player IMO...
                      good point im excited about stevie this year..
                      sigpic
                      FUTURE NY GIANTS PLAYER

2015 season tbd

Comment

Originally posted by VBGiantsFan View Post
                        The scariest part of the defense is that it's run by Perry Fewell. Let me remind everyone, the original reason he was brought in as the DC was because he was able to take a crappy Buffalo Bills secondary and make them seventh in the league. At the time, we had a dominant pass rush, so we figured we could use a guy like Fewell to improve our secondary.

Since he has been here, our defense and secondary has been in the bottom 25. Our pass rush last year fell off a cliff. Our secondary, which was bad the year before, went flying off the ledge with the pass rush as well.

Fewell's only "creative" scheme is his 3 safety set which we don't even have the personnel for anymore. I know he's a Coughlin disciple, but he should be shouldering a ton of blame.

Lets not forget, Rob Ryan, through a ton on injuries, schemed the Cowboys to the 19th rated defense, and he got fired.
                        I don't think PF is a great defensive coach by a long shot, but he hasn't had much to work with. How many times was Webby in position and couldn't make a play. Our MLB was a guy who we picked up off the street the year before. Our LBrs were weak, we were killed by injuries in the secondary, and our D line played like crap (are you going to blame PF for the D line sucking?)

The problem is the players. I like Prince and I like our depth. We shouldn't have to play a game with Justin Tryon at corner.
                        I look for a rebound from last year on D.
                        And we are long past due to be more healthy in general.
                        All is not lost.....yet.
                        Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by JJC7301 View Post
                          This D has the potential to be very bad, like it was through most of last year and the year before that...before playing well enough to win a SB. I'm very worried about this D as well and hope that they have a kick-a** draft.
                          It depends if Tuck plays like 2010 Tuck and Cullen Jenkins gives the Giants an inside pass rusher, they play more physical with the CB's they could be pretty good. If all that doesnt happen they will be pretty bad

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                            I don't think PF is a great defensive coach by a long shot, but he hasn't had much to work with. How many times was Webby in position and couldn't make a play. Our MLB was a guy who we picked up off the street the year before. Our LBrs were weak, we were killed by injuries in the secondary, and our D line played like crap (are you going to blame PF for the D line sucking?)

The problem is the players. I like Prince and I like our depth. We shouldn't have to play a game with Justin Tryon at corner.
                            All is not lost.....yet.
                            i agree i think our d will pay alot better this year
                            sigpic
                            FUTURE NY GIANTS PLAYER

2015 season tbd

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

All is not lost.....yet.
                              Because its easy to blame the coaches. Anyone with eyes could tell you it was on the players last season for the poor defensive play. Fewell has shown that his play calling can look great when the players execute. Ex, Super Bowl run, last year 49ers, Packers game. Of course Fewell has his moments where you want him to walk back to Buffalo, but us fans have seen over the years our defense when it goes bad it goes bad as a team, not just a few individuals.

Giants fan since the early 80s

Comment

Originally posted by ny06 View Post
                                Because its easy to blame the coaches. Anyone with eyes could tell you it was on the players last season for the poor defensive play. Fewell has shown that his play calling can look great when the players execute. Ex, Super Bowl run, last year 49ers, Packers game. Of course Fewell has his moments where you want him to walk back to Buffalo, but us fans have seen over the years our defense when it goes bad it goes bad as a team, not just a few individuals.
                                As you said...it easy to blame the coaches. And in the Giants MB, we like to take the easy route.
                                Our players played lousy last year. Prince was the one definite bright spot. I think losing Osi will actually help the D since everybody (especially JPP) will be playing in position.
                                The best way to improve our defense (as I have said) is to focus on the pass rush.
                                Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Working...
                                X