The Truth About DT!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Truth About DT!

Why does Linval Joseph get a pass? I remember last season's defense clearly and his performance was nothing special (understatement of the year). He made some good plays, but the majority of the time he was out there getting treated like Ike treated Tina along with the rest of the front 7. Cullen is no stalwart versus the run either. He's a quickness tackle not known for strength at the point of attack. Teams were running straight up the middle on us, no delays, counters, draws, nothing to disguise it. For God sake TC called the middle of our defense out in a press conference, yet so many on this board are willing to keep pouring syrup on ish and call it pancakes.

WE NEED A RUN STUFFING DT THAT CAN TAKE ON 2 BLOCKERS!!! Until then the LBs will have mediocre effectiveness, unless they are really good and teams will continue to just gash us up the middle.

FYI Please do not bring up 36 year old Rogers as a cure to our run defense issues. The guy couldn't even stay motivated when he was 26, let alone now at 36. IDK why we didn't just resign Rocky. He gave us good snaps at DT on running downs, though he was also a little long in the tooth.
    Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Linval Joseph was probably one of the bright spots of a defensive line that had no drive. He did get pressure and had 4 sacks from the DT position, a forced fumble and a couple of recoveries. I woud say that the weakness came more or less from lack of pressure on the outside, the other tackle spot and once a runner broke the first line of defense the safeties and linebackers were not coming up to make the stop.

I'm not sure what kind of difference Jenkins will make next to Joseph, but hopefully both of them together can be that wall.

It was a total defensive breakdown...line, backers and backfield.

Comment

what r u talking about OP? LJ ate up double teams all year and still had a helluva year. Guy has a good motor and 4 sacks from a DT spot, esp in our system, is damn good. Plus, it was his 2nd (and not even truly 2nd) year starting. Guys not even a finished product.

When the DE's are playing like Tuck, and the DT next to u is a 7th rd pick bc everyone else got hurt, its gonna be extremely tough to make plays and yet LJ still did.

Comment

Lindval did a nice job this year, JR needs to get him a playmate in the middle so he can really be disruptive.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat_bastich View Post
          Linval Joseph was probably one of the bright spots of a defensive line that had no drive. He did get pressure and had 4 sacks from the DT position, a forced fumble and a couple of recoveries. I woud say that the weakness came more or less from lack of pressure on the outside, the other tackle spot and once a runner broke the first line of defense the safeties and linebackers were not coming up to make the stop.

I'm not sure what kind of difference Jenkins will make next to Joseph, but hopefully both of them together can be that wall.

It was a total defensive breakdown...line, backers and backfield.
          Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
          what r u talking about OP? LJ ate up double teams all year and still had a helluva year. Guy has a good motor and 4 sacks from a DT spot, esp in our system, is damn good. Plus, it was his 2nd (and not even truly 2nd) year starting. Guys not even a finished product.

When the DE's are playing like Tuck, and the DT next to u is a 7th rd pick bc everyone else got hurt, its gonna be extremely tough to make plays and yet LJ still did.
          Stop using evidence, logic, and reasoning. It'll fry the boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Drez View Post
            Stop using evidence, logic, and reasoning. It'll fry the boards.
            As Adam Savage says on Mythbusters "I Reject Your Reality and Substitute My Own!"

Comment

I though LJ was good during the season. Tough to stand out when the rest of the team is not doing great. Its a coheisive thing. They all need to step up and find new energy.

Also.....to the OP. No need to use domestic abuse as a analogy either. Not being a **** just saying...
              "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
              You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

The DT position may be a serious problem this year but not because of Joseph. The problem is that he may be by himself again this year. Who will play the other DT position that we can say right now will be an improvement from last year? Jenkins? Maybe, but him signing a one year deal looks like this is a last chance type of deal for him. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. We shall see. Would it surprise anyone if Rogers doesn't make the team? He didn't do much two years ago and didn't play last year. What else do they have? An aging DT, a DT that hasn't played in 3 years, and another coming off a torn ACL. That's why they really need a DT and DE in this draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
                  The DT position may be a serious problem this year but not because of Joseph. The problem is that he may be by himself again this year. Who will play the other DT position that we can say right now will be an improvement from last year? Jenkins? Maybe, but him signing a one year deal looks like this is a last chance type of deal for him. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. We shall see. Would it surprise anyone if Rogers doesn't make the team? He didn't do much two years ago and didn't play last year. What else do they have? An aging DT, a DT that hasn't played in 3 years, and another coming off a torn ACL. That's why they really need a DT and DE in this draft.
                  Jenkins signed a 3 year deal.

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                    Jenkins signed a 3 year deal.
                    My bad. Had him mixed up with someone else.

Comment

It was a down year for everyone, even JPP. I think it is more important to have a push up the middle on passing downs. That will be much more effective in helping us get off the field after 3rd down.
                      Do not feed the trolls.

Comment

Linval was the only guy on D at the top of his game all year.....tough to stop the run on your own when you're getting doubled.....and if you are getting doubled as a DT you're doing your job......second and third lines (backers and safeties) have to plug the gaps created by occupying blockers.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post

Agreed.. Joseph was actually the guy i wanted in the 2nd rd when our pick came up for exactly the reasons hes showing to be a good pick so far, and thats being able to fight doubles and get occasional sacks, while being a space eater at the same time.. He has a nice overall game, and isn't a one trick pony.. Thats how he was at East Carolina as well... I used to see that big boy chasing around QB's and be like, dang!, this big guy can move and will be a beast in the middle of a dline.

Comment

I actually think our edge pass rush was actually greatly affected by the lack of push by the DTs. It was way to easy for QBs to step up in the pocket and avoid the edge rush.

Comment

Marvin Austin better be living in the gym right now. Such a disappointment so far
                              "Team sports are a different animal. They tap into deep seeded tribal instincts. Our team vs your team used to be our tribe vs your tribe. Winner takes all – land, plunder, women. You inherently care when you are aligned with a tribe/team. The players are interchangeable but team always stays the same." - JOESONDO from UG forum

Comment

Working...
                              X