Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Invest in OL to ensure Eli has a 20 yr career?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moosedrool View Post
    I don't know what OL you were watching last year, but the NYG OL last year was mediocre at best. If they can improve it, and Nicks can stay healthy, look for a big improvement in points scored this year. RT is the main issue right now.

As others have said, sacks allowed only tell part of the story. Total pressure allowed is a better measurement. NYG OL total pressure allowed courtesy PFF:

2008: 114 (6th)
    2009: 144 (17th)
    2010: 145 (8th)
    2011: 221 (32nd...last)
    2012: 167 (18th)
    The fact that we had the most success in the year our line performed the worst says to me that a "GREAT" line is not needed to win.
    Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
      The fact that we had the most success in the year our line performed the worst says to me that a "GREAT" line is not needed to win.
      It isn't. You don't need a top defense, either. Still, it probably isn't a good thing when your most important player is hitting the turf every other play.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
        It isn't. You don't need a top defense, either. Still, it probably isn't a good thing when your most important player is hitting the turf every other play.
        LOL no that can't be a good thing.
        Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

OL is the "Barley of Brew". Without good barley (2 row preferred), the brew is weak! The skill positions are the "Hops" of a good brew. Of course you must ALWAYS invest in the OL. I have said before, if I were making the decisions, I would have a rule that 1 of top 3 picks each year would go to BPA of OL on the board every year.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drez View Post
            I never said he played particularly well under pressure this year. The only thing I said was in reference to the poster (StarhanSoup92, I think), saying that the OL played well based on the fact that we only gave up 20 sacks. Sacks given up gives a very incomplete picture of OL play. The fact is, we didn't give up only 20 sacks because the OL was giving Eli a ton of time. We only gave up 20 sacks because Eli gets rid of the ball quickly and often makes sure that the backs and TEs don't release into routes.
            The reason there is only 20 sacks is because eli was chuck and duck all year. That is the only pass play you can run withDD in.
            Just remember Kevin Love makes more money then OBJ, and OBJ also dunks better.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
              ive been rarely posting and when i do its nothing but good convo for months. im even getting along w/o warring with rosie. what r u talking about at all? ur post serves no purpose, and it wouldnt surprise me if the mods ordered u not to respond to me sadly.

what they should do is get u to stop instigating with LITERALLY dozens of posters every other day. and u can use the ignore feature. peace...
              I have also decided not to respond to any poster who used text lingo instead of the actual english language.
              There are no such words as r, u or w/o. It shows respect for your fellow posters to actually make a little effort to be understood.

Sorry again...but I must honor my standards.
              Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by keyofgmen View Post
                OL is the "Barley of Brew". Without good barley (2 row preferred), the brew is weak! The skill positions are the "Hops" of a good brew. Of course you must ALWAYS invest in the OL. I have said before, if I were making the decisions, I would have a rule that 1 of top 3 picks each year would go to BPA of OL on the board every year.
                nice analogy, now i gotta go buy a 6er

Comment

If we transfers the tears on draft day when an olineman isn't picked in the first the Sahara desert would be an ocean. It's not happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                    I have also decided not to respond to any poster who used text lingo instead of the actual english language.
                    There are no such words as r, u or w/o. It shows respect for your fellow posters to actually make a little effort to be understood.

Sorry again...but I must honor my standards.
                    I really wish you two would just kiss already. The sexual tension in here is stifling!!
                    I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

Originally posted by FBomb View Post
                      I really wish you two would just kiss already. The sexual tension in here is stifling!!
                      He doesn't know what he's missing.
                      Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
                        I saw an offensive line that didn't give their QB enough time. He was forced to throw on short time that limited his options. I also saw an OL that couldn't move a DL in short yardage situations if their lives depended on it. We don't have a single player there who I believe can be a fixture for the next 5 years.
                        I agree the run blocking, especially in short yardage, wasnt there. Beatty is the only one I see staying over the next few years, Diehl and Snee are retiring, Baas can and should be upgraded. Im simply stating that the posters exaggerate how bad this line is/was. Ok so in QB pressure we were ranked 18th, posters here act like we are ranked last. Wish the fans would give these guys some respect, an Oline coming out and just dominating every Sunday, just doesnt happen. Especially against a defensive front like San Fran, whom another poster mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by StrahanSoup92 View Post
                          I agree the run blocking, especially in short yardage, wasnt there. Beatty is the only one I see staying over the next few years, Diehl and Snee are retiring, Baas can and should be upgraded. Im simply stating that the posters exaggerate how bad this line is/was. Ok so in QB pressure we were ranked 18th, posters here act like we are ranked last. Wish the fans would give these guys some respect, an Oline coming out and just dominating every Sunday, just doesnt happen. Especially against a defensive front like San Fran, whom another poster mentioned.
                          We were 18th in the number of pressures given up, our overall pass blocking ranking was lower, though. (For example, an OLman could get beaten, but have the FB/RB clean up the defender before it counted as a pressure, thus saving a "pressure" from being counted, yet still counting as a "loss" in the OL grading).

I don't give a **** how good SF's front 7 is, the beating the OL allowed them to give Eli was inexcusable. Sure, it's the most glaring example of how poor they've played, but it isn't completely an outlier, either.

However, no matter how you slice it or dice it, the OL can use a major upgrade and is nowhere near a top-10 line, or even an adequate line.

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
                            LOL seriously WTF

Comment

Giants have spent money on the Oline and some of the moves havent worked out that well. Now u just cant keep spending into oblivion to fix it there is a cap.U have to balance the money and here is your choice. Do u spend money on Mike Iupati or do u spend it on Victor Cruz. Now lets factor in a league where u cant hit QB's,cant hit WR's and RB's cant lower their helmets. Its a balancing act and the FO has proved to be up to the task.
                              Last edited by Redeyejedi; 03-31-2013, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
                                Giants have spent money on the Oline and some of the moves havent worked out that well. Now u just cant keep spending into oblivion to fix it
                                The one thing I didn't like was Baas' restructure this year. To me it just seemed like throwing good money after bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X