This is what separates Victor Cruz from Wes Welker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
    If you're getting targeted that much, it means you're getting open, and that your QB believes you're his best option. It means you make plays. It also means that you are going to drop balls.
    To me, 10 drops in a season where you get 150+ targets is meaningless.
    I agree.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

If you're getting targeted that much, it means you're getting open, and that your QB believes you're his best option. It means you make plays. It also means that you are going to drop balls.
      To me, 10 drops in a season where you get 150+ targets is meaningless.
      i dunno. while i agree for the most part, i still feel 7.5% of the time, Cruz will drop it, is too high/much.

its easy to look back and go "only 10", but iirc, at least 2 of those situations were crucial plays he alligator armed...i suppose it is a bit nit picking. especially when cruz ranks among the games best at virtually every category over the last 2 yrs...

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
        i dunno. while i agree for the most part, i still feel 7.5% of the time, Cruz will drop it, is too high/much.

its easy to look back and go "only 10", but iirc, at least 2 of those situations were crucial plays he alligator armed...i suppose it is a bit nit picking. especially when cruz ranks among the games best at virtually every category over the last 2 yrs...
        For me, we're talking about the most productive receiver in both of the last two years. I don't agree that drops are "meaningless" and I'm pretty sure they aren't meaningless to Cruz either. It's something he has to work on improving but, in the grand scheme of things, I think he's really the only one who needs to focus on it.
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

• Remember how people killed Hixon and labeled him butterfingers because he dropped two passes one year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drez View Post
            Remember how people killed Hixon and labeled him butterfingers because he dropped two passes one year.
            OH YES
            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Remember how people killed Hixon and labeled him butterfingers because he dropped two passes one year.
              aha thats the example i needed with the point i was trying to make a few posts ago. looking back in hindsight, it seems we as fans remember drops, esp somewhat significant ones, moreso than we do of successful plays. That Hixon example is apt because he had that 1 pivotal drop vs Philly on what shoulda been a gimmie TD...and it was scarred into our collective memories bc of how blatant/visual a drop that was. Wouldnt matter if Hixon never dropped a pass again, he'd always be remembered in part by that drop.

Comment

Jimmy Graham
                Victor Cruz
                Calvin Johnson
                Brandon Marshall
                Demaryus Thomas
                Dez Bryant
                Randall Cobb
                A.J. Green

Is this a list of the best receivers in the game?........Well pretty close, but no.

Its a list of the NFL leaders in drops in the NFL last season.

So can we stop with the "dropped passes" nonsense. The list of the leaders in dropped passes is always a list of some of the best pass catchers in the game.

As I said........meaningless stat.
                My argument is not about cruz having a lot of drops, but cruz having a bad habit of taking his eyes off of the balI, which has led to drops. I think he needs to work on breaking that habit. I dont know about the other guys on that list but Jimmy graham took a lot of heat last year because of his drops and its something he knows he has to work on.

But I have two questions for you.

Is there anything you think cruz needs to improve on? If so, then would it be wrong to say he needs to improve on a bad habit of taking his eyes off of the ball?
                Last edited by Marvelousmik; 04-11-2013, 03:48 PM.
                Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

~Big Mike~

Comment

How did people treat Steve Smith before he got injured? He was very productive but he dropped passes also. I don't remember anyone killing him. Cruz and Smith have some similarities but Cruz is a big-play threat and Steve was not.
                  Torque it till it breaks, then back off a 1/4 turn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marvelousmik View Post
                    My argument is not about cruz having a lot of drops, but cruz having a bad habit of taking his eyes off of the balI, which has led to drops. I think he needs to work on breaking that habit. I dont know about the other guys on that list but Jimmy graham took a lot of heat last year because of his drops and its something he knows he has to work on.

But I have two questions for you.

Is there anything you think cruz needs to improve on? If so, then would it be wrong to say he needs to improve on a bad habit of taking his eyes off of the ball?
                    Every player can improve on his game. Its the nature of things.
                    I just think this "dropping passes" thing is way overstated, and not nearly as important a flaw in his game that some seem to believe.
                    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Every player can improve on his game. Its the nature of things.
                      I just think this "dropping passes" thing is way overstated, and not nearly as important a flaw in his game that some seem to believe.
                      Totally agree. Every top receiver drops passes when they turn to locate the defender before securing the ball. It's going to happen. Get used to it.

Cruz dropped 8.7% and 9.1% of his targets the last two years. Maybe this will help. He caught 91.3% and 90.9% of his targets the last two years. And people are complaining.
                      Last edited by moosedrool; 04-11-2013, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by moosedrool View Post
                        Totally agree. Every top receiver drops passes when they turn to locate the defender before securing the ball. It's going to happen. Get used to it.
                        Yeah, that's not good. You're not focusing on catching the ball, you're worried about getting hit. As a receiver, your job is to receive, not locate the defender first and then try to take control of the ball.

I don't think it's a huge huge deal, he can fix it definitely, but it's not something to overlook either.
                        Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                          Yeah, that's not good. You're not focusing on catching the ball, you're worried about getting hit. As a receiver, your job is to receive, not locate the defender first and then try to take control of the ball.

I don't think it's a huge huge deal, he can fix it definitely, but it's not something to overlook either.
                          Yes it is.
                          Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post

to a point I agree but there is something to be said about trying to protect your self from a vicious hit.....lets not get crazy

Comment

Yes it is.
                              NO IT'S NOT.

STOP ARGUING WITH ME

Comment

• Originally posted by byron View Post
                                to a point I agree but there is something to be said about trying to protect your self from a vicious hit.....lets not get crazy
                                No I agree, but make sure you secure the ball before you look up field first lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X