No announcement yet.

Jerrell Jernigan Bust or Breakout Season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With his increased work load toward the end of last season I believe the Giants want to get him on the field more. He has obvious skills that should result in production. With the depth we have I don't really see him getting enough playing time to show out. If Cruz goes down JJ will get his opportunity. If not I see JJ breaking out with another team when his rookie contract is up.

Comment

The fact that we went out and got Murphy tells me we've moved on. He's nothing but injury depth, if he makes the team at all.
      Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
        He is 5th right now and if Barden comes back to camp to try and make the roster he will be 6th. He could drop lower depending on where we draft a WR. He better show something this year, for his sake. I wouldn't call him a bust. He hasn't got the PT.
        JJ passed Barden on the depth chart toward the end of last year. I agree, it's hard to label him a bust with such little opportunity. Except for his early career punt muffs he has responded nicely with his limited chances. Nice kick off returns in the Super Bowl. One kick off chance last year went for 60 yards. He showed nice after catch ability in Pre season and caught the few thrown to him during the regular season-no drops.

Comment

The fact that we went out and got Murphy tells me we've moved on. He's nothing but injury depth, if he makes the team at all.
          I don't believe Murphy will be in the slot at 6'2" 200lbs he's on the outside as depth for the injury prone Nicks and the still questionable Randell. The fact we picked up Murphy has little to do with what the Giants think about JJ IMHO.

Comment

Can a player that is relegated to be a backup player even qualify to be a bust or a breakout?
            sigpic

Comment

The Giants signing Murphy was more to do with losing Hixon and Barden than it had to do with Jernigan. The Giants needed another receiver.

I'm also not buying that Murphy is already ahead of JJ on the depth chart already. Jernigan knows the system a lot better and was being worked more into the offense last year. Murphy has a complex learning curve and is on his 3rd team in three years.
              Last edited by titwio; 04-20-2013, 01:09 PM.
              "You killed my family, and I don't like that kind of thing."

Comment

Originally posted by Shockeystays08 View Post
                JJ passed Barden on the depth chart toward the end of last year. I agree, it's hard to label him a bust with such little opportunity. Except for his early career punt muffs he has responded nicely with his limited chances. Nice kick off returns in the Super Bowl. One kick off chance last year went for 60 yards. He showed nice after catch ability in Pre season and caught the few thrown to him during the regular season-no drops.
                I never saw JJ rise over anybody last year. Neither one got much playing time last year, but JJ definitely got less plays than Barden.
                Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

Comment

Originally posted by titwio View Post
                  The Giants signing Murphy was more to do with losing Hixon and Barden than it had to do with Jernigan. The Giants needed another receiver.

I'm also not buying that Murphy is already ahead of JJ on the depth chart already. Jernigan knows the system a lot better and was being worked more into the offense last year. Murphy has a complex learning curve and is on his 3rd team in three years.
                  Look at Murphy's production. He most definitely will get more snaps than JJ unless Cruz gets hurt, even then they still ma prefer Murphy in the slot JJ has proven nothing.

Barden hasn't been signed by anybody and Murphy signed before we lost Hixon to free agency.

What the hell is a complex learning curve? I thought learning curves were low or high. LOL
                  Last edited by B&RWarrior; 04-20-2013, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I never saw JJ rise over anybody last year. Neither one got much playing time last year, but JJ definitely got less plays than Barden.
                    Overall Barden had more field time I agree. But I think it was the last 3 games JJ was the 4th receiver on the field and Barden was an observer.

Comment

Barden hasn't been signed by anybody and Murphy signed before we lost Hixon to free agency.

What the hell is a complex learning curve? I thought learning curves were low or high LOL
                      There's still a "chance" Barden can be re-signed but the Giants haven't shown interest in bringing him or Hixon (before he was signed) back in FA....Thus the Murphy signing.

Manningham was here for years and struggled learning the "complex" offense. Jernigan has that edge on Murphy being he's been in the system going on his 3rd year. I like what Murphy brings to the table also but he hasn't exactly been lighting it up the last few years. Infact I have multiple quotes from Panthers fans who have nothing but similar critiques of his play last year.

Murphy may win the job but for those assuming the job is already his are wrong.

Comment

There's still a "chance" Barden can be re-signed but the Giants haven't shown interest in bringing him or Hixon (before he was signed) back in FA....Thus the Murphy signing.

Manningham was here for years and struggled learning the "complex" offense. Jernigan has that edge on Murphy being he's been in the system going on his 3rd year. I like what Murphy brings to the table also but he hasn't exactly been lighting it up the last few years. Infact I have multiple quotes from Panthers fans who have nothing but similar critiques of his play last year.

Well stated. I was a big fan of Murphy coming out of Florida. Last season Cam needed some targets in addition to Smith. Murphy should of shined a bit but was rather dull and absent.

Comment

Murphy tallied 75 receptions, 6 TDs, and 1130 yards the last 2 years in a mediocre Oakland offense with a washed up Carson Palmer throwing the rock. Dare I say Eli and the Gilbride power passing attack will improve those numbers if he get's the snaps.

I'd pay good money to see JJ "struggle" the way MM did. The fact is Mario couldn't remember what routes to run or what he had told Eli he'd run earlier in the week, but his performance in this offense aside from that was exceptional, even as a number 2 MM was above average. JJ has not shown any MM like abilities.

Murphy over JJ in a landslide, but I think JJ stays for depth.

Comment

it bothers me when people call him a bust. he hasn't produced but he hasn't gotten any opportunities. people will say if he was that good he would have gotten opportunities and i don't fully agree. look at a guy like cruz. if it wasn't for hixon getting hurt he may have never emerged.

Comment

I'd pay good money to see JJ "struggle" the way MM did. The fact is Mario couldn't remember what routes to run or what he had told Eli he'd run earlier in the week, but his performance in this offense aside from that was exceptional, even as a number 2 MM was above average. JJ has not shown any MM like abilities.

Murphy over JJ in a landslide, but I think JJ stays for depth.
                              But my point for bringing it up was to show how complex the Giants system is and the fact that JJ has more years experience in it. I in no way brought it up to prove that MM was a better or lesser receiver than JJ. Randle still doesn't have the system down and we can all agree he's a more talented receiver than Murphy is, can we not? Randle only had 19 rec's with Eli last year and was supposed to be one of the more pro ready receivers in the draft. What makes you think Murphy is going to come right in and smash that in his first year?

All I'm saying is if people think Murphy will just coast right in and win the job they're are wrong....no other way to say it.

Comment

I think he sees playing time as a returner. We have no WR's other than him that can do it (besides Randall on punts but, I dont see them putting him back in that roll) and NO WAY they put their starting RB back there (regardless of how good he was last year).

Comment

Working...
                                X