The Tuck Rule is a horrible rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tuck Rule is a horrible rule

This rule needs to be looked at closely in the off-season. Thoughts?

Re: The Tuck Rule is a horrible rule

[quote user="rebelfan1966"]This rule needs to be looked at closely in the off-season. Thoughts?[/quote] The rule is fine. The refs just have to acknowledge the difference between a pump fake and a pass. Its like a check-swing in baseball, it can not be an incomplete pass if it was never a pass.
    Just remember Kevin Love makes more money then OBJ, and OBJ also dunks better.

Comment

I like the arm moving forward is an incomplete pass part, but if the ball is clearly knocked out or if they start to tuck back in it should be a fumble. So both those Sanchez plays yesterday should have been fumbles.

Comment

I hate it. That by far is the dumbest rule...how was that even considered a passing motion?

He was pulling the ball back in, horrible rule.

Comment

[quote user="Pakman"]I hate it. That by far is the dumbest rule...how was that even considered a passing motion?

He was pulling the ball back in, horrible rule.[/quote] Agreed. If your wrist is facing outward because your pulling it back. No way its a pass. How to you explain the other incomplete. Where his hand never starts coming forward but that is not a fumble. I thought empty hand going forward was the definition of fumble.

I guess most refs are lawyers and experts at manipulating the rules.
          Just remember Kevin Love makes more money then OBJ, and OBJ also dunks better.

Comment

i was sure from that replay showed that paul knocked that ball out of sanchezs hand. meaning it was a forced fumble!

Comment

The rule makes no damned sense because if the QB decides to not throw a pass and loses the ball in the process of bringing it back in, after a forward motion..... then it's clearly not a pass, because he CHANGED HIS MIND ABOUT THROWING A PASS....so it's clearly not incomplete because it never happened because he CHANGED HIS MIND about throwing it!
              Basically what they are saying is that the QB is spiking the ball to stop the clock...which the QB in that moment clearly is NOT doing.
              It's a stupid rule from every conceivable angle.
              "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

[quote user="gradstang"]i was sure from that replay showed that paul knocked that ball out of sanchezs hand. meaning it was a forced fumble![/quote]

The problem is your interpretation of the rule is wrong. Since his arm was going forward, even if it is knocked out of his hand it is considered an incomplete pass.

I do not like the rule, I think its nonsense. I didnt like it when it materialized out of thin air in 2002 to screw Al Davis' Raiders, and I dont like it now.

The rule states the Qb has to bring the ball back to his body in order for the throwing motion to be completed. The problem is, the throwing motion is long over well b4 that point.

There are other rules and emphasis I would like them to reconsider as well. The scale is too tipped in the favor of offense. I'd like NFL rules regarding defensive backs to more closely resemble college rules.

sigpic

Comment

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="gradstang"]i was sure from that replay showed that paul knocked that ball out of sanchezs hand. meaning it was a forced fumble![/quote]

The problem is your interpretation of the rule is wrong. Since his arm was going forward, even if it is knocked out of his hand it is considered an incomplete pass.

I do not like the rule, I think its nonsense. I didnt like it when it materialized out of thin air in 2002 to screw Al Davis' Raiders, and I dont like it now.

The rule states the Qb has to bring the ball back to his body in order for the throwing motion to be completed. The problem is, the throwing motion is long over well b4 that point.

There are other rules and emphasis I would like them to reconsider as well. The scale is too tipped in the favor of offense. I'd like NFL rules regarding defensive backs to more closely resemble college rules.

[/quote]Seriously i hate how tipped in the O's favor the game is. The problem is the ADD generation cant watch a game that doesnt have a score every 3 minutes.People on Twitter were complaining about the LSU Alabama game which was Top 3 CFB game this season because it was 9-6.

Comment

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="gradstang"]i was sure from that replay showed that paul knocked that ball out of sanchezs hand. meaning it was a forced fumble![/quote]

[/quote]Seriously i hate how tipped in the O's favor the game is. The problem is the ADD generation cant watch a game that doesnt have a score every 3 minutes.People on Twitter were complaining about the LSU Alabama game which was Top 3 CFB game this season because it was 9-6.[/quote]

Exactly.

I undestand why some new rules protecting defenseless players had to be implemented. I applaud the effort of player safety.

But, the rule makers have to recognize the magnitude it has on the way defenses have to play now. The days of intimidating safeties hovering back there discouraging slants and causing wr aligator arms are long gone.

A player like Ronnie Lott, prolly the best safety in NFL history, would be unable to play the game today.

With defensive backs unable to intimidate Wr anymore the game has turned into arena ball. Offenses are only stopped when they screw up themselves by commiting a penalty or when they turn it over.

So lets DBs play more aggressively. Let defense matter again.

sigpic

Comment

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="gradstang"]i was sure from that replay showed that paul knocked that ball out of sanchezs hand. meaning it was a forced fumble![/quote]

[/quote]Seriously i hate how tipped in the O's favor the game is. The problem is the ADD generation cant watch a game that doesnt have a score every 3 minutes.People on Twitter were complaining about the LSU Alabama game which was Top 3 CFB game this season because it was 9-6.[/quote]

Exactly.

I undestand why some new rules protecting defenseless players had to be implemented. I applaud the effort of player safety.

But, the rule makers have to recognize the magnitude it has on the way defenses have to play now. The days of intimidating safeties hovering back there discouraging slants and causing wr aligator arms are long gone.

A player like Ronnie Lott, prolly the best safety in NFL history, would be unable to play the game today.

With defensive backs unable to intimidate Wr anymore the game has turned into arena ball. Offenses are only stopped when they screw up themselves by commiting a penalty or when they turn it over.

So lets DBs play more aggressively. Let defense matter again.

[/quote]

what they said.
                      due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
                      my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

Comment

Current rules in the NFL today: Was watching NFL network and one of my least favorites: Mike Irvin 88 was explaining the difference between playing in the league today vs days gone by. Irvin said: " The WR's of today don't know what the fear felt like before the ball was snapped when you knew you were going across the middle and were going to get lit up"!

Very true Michael, how very true!

Comment

It's a dumb rule. Either it's a fumble or it isn't.

Comment

[quote user="daynemustgo"]It's a dumb rule. Either it's a fumble or it isn't.[/quote]

well , it isn't .
                            due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
                            my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

Comment

The problem wasn't the rule in my opinion. He had stopped moving his arm. When he had stopped his motion the ball was knocked out of his hand with a downward swipe. I have watched it several times now. I understand that the Ref's viewed it and also ruled on it however it was clearly a fumble created when the ball was knocked out of his hand. Bad call. Reviewed then confirmed as a bad call.

Comment

Working...
                              X