Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ryan12 View Post
    knowing and mocking are two diffrent things
    A guy with some of the best connections was the only guy to mock pugh in the first round, let alone to the giants. Don't be naive

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
      Because they are desperate for O linemen. I agree that he would have been taken.
      But here's my view. Every year you have teams that get desperate and reach for need. You see it early in the first round as well. We have always been the kind of team that takes advantage of that. We have often taken great value that fell in our laps because other GM's were desperate.
      Rodney Hampton and Prince come to mind.
      It seems that JR was just as desperate. Maybe moreso, since we actually didn't have a starting RT on the roster.
      I will say again....it may work out, but its very risky.
      The draft still wasn't our only option for RT, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drez View Post
        So, you don't think teams have targeted players that if they are available that they want to draft?

Just because you disagree with the pick doesn't make it a reach. You have no idea how Reese had his board set up. Obviously, if it was said that Pugh was going to be the pick the day before it means Reese had him highly rated.
        No, what it means is that he was going to take a rt regardless of who was on the board.

Comment

• Originally posted by ryan12 View Post
          knowing and mocking are two diffrent things
          Pugh never scratched the mid 1st of mock drafts until April 24th in Mayock's mock. I noticed Daniel Jeremiah IMMEDIATELY added Pugh to the Giants slot as well. That seems like an obvious tip off.

Comment

The draft still wasn't our only option for RT, though.
            No its not. And I said after the pick that if JR signed a solid vet RT before camp all will be forgiven for me.
            But right now, it seems that he saw this as his best option. Maybe these FA's were all asking for a lot. We don't have a lot of cap room.
            I like Brandon Myers but a RT would have been a better signing.
            I think now, we must just hope that the kid can start and play well this season. Also hoping he doesn't break down with the tough NFL season.
            Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
              Even the interior guys went higher than they should and that's because the GMs wanted a more guaranteed thing this year from their 1st rounder. The major value was in the middle rounds and there were a good amount of upside juniors chosen that reflects this. I personally think they went with Pugh because of his intelligence and leadership qualities over his body. Outside of his mobility, I wouldn't say Pugh has a 1st or even 2nd round body. Strength and arm length (yes, it's important for OTs) are concerns to me.
              I thought I had read a tweet that said that Pugh and Joe Thomas have the same length arms. Can't remember from whom, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imgrate View Post
                No, what it means is that he was going to take a rt regardless of who was on the board.
                But, you still don't know what Reese's board looked like. Yours and his may look completely differently from each other. I tend to err on the side of caution with the guy who does it professionally.

Comment

I thought I had read a tweet that said that Pugh and Joe Thomas have the same length arms. Can't remember from whom, though.
                  Pugh measured in at 31 1/2 inches at the Senior Bowl but I've seen 32 inches thrown around in some other places. Here are some of the arm lengths I've found.

Joe Thomas - 32-inch arm length
                  Jordan Gross - 33 inch arm length
                  Jason Peters - 33⅛ inch arm length
                  Jammal Brown - 34 inch arm length
                  Jake Long - 32⅞ inch arm length
                  Ryan Clady - 36 inch arm length
                  D’Brickashaw Ferguson - 35 inch arm length
                  Alex Barron - 37 inch arm length
                  Orlando Pace - 36 inch arm length
                  Branden Albert - 33⅞ inch arm length

Don't forget that Joe Thomas is about 2-3 inches taller too making him a naturally bigger player on the edge.

Comment

But, you still don't know what Reese's board looked like. Yours and his may look completely differently from each other. I tend to err on the side of caution with the guy who does it professionally.
                    I get what you're saying, but the evidence shows that jr didn't care about the board and was taking a RT. The chances of pugh being rated higher than the guys available are slim.

Comment

I get what you're saying, but the evidence shows that jr didn't care about the board and was taking a RT. The chances of pugh being rated higher than the guys available are slim.
                      But you also have to look at the drop off between Pugh and the other OL and the drop off between the players at other positions. If Reese thought that the drop off between Pugh and the other OL was more precipitous than that between say Floyd and Hankins whom we picked in the second, then the pick doesn't become a reach, or at least not a huge reach.

Comment

Or that JR had a board that looked completely different than the board you had.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post

Don't forget that Joe Thomas is about 2-3 inches taller too making him a naturally bigger player on the edge.
                          And his long term future here might be at one of the guard spots. He may not be a RT for his entire career here.

But, doesn't that also make Thomas' arms proportionately shorter than Pugh's?

Comment

And his long term future here might be at one of the guard spots. He may not be a RT for his entire career here.

But, doesn't that also make Thomas' arms proportionately shorter than Pugh's?
                            That's what I've been saying the last few days actually but everyone assumes he is the long term future at RT for some reason.

As for the Thomas - Pugh comparison, it's about the susceptibility to bull rushes that I worry about with Pugh. Even though Thomas has only slightly longer arms, the additional inches in height aid him in that it is harder to get into his shoulder pads and push him back. With Pugh, you have not only extremely shorter arms that make it harder to fight off the bull rush but his less than ideal height makes it that much easier to get into the shoulder pads as well. I'm sure that is the concern most people have him with versus speed rushers. I think he will be fine against those personally.

Comment

But you also have to look at the drop off between Pugh and the other OL and the drop off between the players at other positions. If Reese thought that the drop off between Pugh and the other OL was more precipitous than that between say Floyd and Hankins whom we picked in the second, then the pick doesn't become a reach, or at least not a huge reach.
                              Floyd and Hankins don't even play the same position. What should have been taken into account is positionaly value. RT is maybe the the 5th or 6th most important position on offense whereas corner is the 2nd most important position on defense. Add in that it is much cheaper to sign a starting rt opposed to a starting cb and it becomes quite clear that the pugh pick was terrible on an intuitive basis.

Comment

Floyd and Hankins don't even play the same position. What should have been taken into account is positionaly value. RT is maybe the the 5th or 6th most important position on offense whereas corner is the 2nd most important position on defense. Add in that it is much cheaper to sign a starting rt opposed to a starting cb and it becomes quite clear that the pugh pick was terrible on an intuitive basis.
                                Are both Floyd and Hankins not DTs?

Pugh is a utility OL that can arguably play every position along the line, does that not add some value?

Comment

Working...
                                X