Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerry Reach...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by ryan12 View Post
    but ol was a glarring need. we knew jerry wouldnt take a lb rd 1 and we adressed the other huge needs in free agency at dt and the secondary. granted paterson jenkins ross and mundy arent outstanding players but we upgraded those postions in free agency. to me ol was the only way to go rd 1
    Personally, I thought we were going to go pass rusher or CB. However, if they thought the drop off between Pugh and the rest of the linemen was greater than the drop off between those at the top of the other positions, I can't blame them for pulling the trigger on Pugh.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Drez View Post
      The don't rank guys 1, 2, 3... They rank guys in tiers. And generally speaking when you're looking at guys that you have ranked in the same tier, need wins out.

      Also, could it be that the FO saw OL as a bigger need than DT or CB, and also felt that the drop off between Pugh and the other OL was greater than between Floyd, Trufant, Rhodes, and others at their particular positions?
      Well then let me rephrase.
      I doubt Jerry had Pugh rated in the same "tier" as Trufant, Rhodes and Floyd.
      Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
        Well that's not the argument. The fact that O line was (and I agree) a glaring need is what set up this pick. The problems here started in free agency when we didn't address or hole at RT.
        So Jerry put himself in the position where he had to take the best available OT in the draft. And since there was a run on O linemen in round one, he had to reach into the second round to get him.
        And you know how that Pugh wasn't rated higher on Reese's draft board than other linemen that went higher how?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
          Well then let me rephrase.
          I doubt Jerry had Pugh rated in the same "tier" as Trufant, Rhodes and Floyd.
          Obviously you are wrong, then.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Drez View Post
            Personally, I thought we were going to go pass rusher or CB. However, if they thought the drop off between Pugh and the rest of the linemen was greater than the drop off between those at the top of the other positions, I can't blame them for pulling the trigger on Pugh.
            In my little pathetic view, Xavier Rhodes was the best option for us. Rhodes and Prince seems like a great combo for us.
            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
              Its not that we drafted an O lineman. If we had had a chance at Fluker and he was drafted by us that would have been a great pick. Its all about value as a prospect.
              It just seemed like a red flag that we drafted that kid with a bunch of outstanding talent that dropped in our laps.
              Fluker lacks mobility and the footwork you want out of an exterior linemen though. He's really not going to get down field for you like Pugh nor does he offer the same versatility either. He's a really excellent run blocking RT and possibly RG but offers very little outside of that. Still scratching my head on how a slightly better Phil Loadholt is a top 15 selection in the pass happy NFL.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Drez View Post
                Obviously you are wrong, then.
                I really don't think I am. I think JR was hell bent to take an OT in round one. And that was because he didn't deal with filling that hole where you're supposed to fill holes, in free agency.
                He needed to use the draft to fill a hole and in my opinion, that's a poor use of the draft.
                He's gone for need before and that's not always a bad thing. This was different. This was filling an actual hole. he was drafting a guy he needs to start day 1.
                Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
                  Fluker lacks mobility and the footwork you want out of an exterior linemen though. He's really not going to get down field for you like Pugh nor does he offer the same versatility either. He's a really excellent run blocking RT and possibly RG but offers very little outside of that. Still scratching my head on how a slightly better Phil Loadholt is a top 15 selection in the pass happy NFL.
                  I know you don't like Fluker. But that's not really the point. Plus, didn't JR say that they had Fluker rated higher than Pugh?
                  Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Drez View Post
                    How do you know that that report wasn't smokescreen, so a team above us would pull the trigger on Fluker before us, ensuring that Pugh would fall to us?

                    How did they predetermine the pick? By saying, if players x, y, and z are off the board, let's pick Pugh? Isn't that how the draft process works?
                    Because it was released after the draft on twitter. By garofalo? I don't have a link so you don't have to believe me, but it is buried in one of these threads.

                    They predetermined that they were taking a rt. Mayock was told that pugh was the pick. The giants fo had no clue who would or would not be there, but as long as fluker or pugh were there, he would be the pick. That is a complete disregard of other players that could have been there. It is also a complete disregard of positional value, which pisses me off the most.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                      I really don't think I am. I think JR was hell bent to take an OT in round one. And that was because he didn't deal with filling that hole where you're supposed to fill holes, in free agency.
                      He needed to use the draft to fill a hole and in my opinion, that's a poor use of the draft.
                      He's gone for need before and that's not always a bad thing. This was different. This was filling an actual hole. he was drafting a guy he needs to start day 1.
                      Well, considering we drafted Pugh over those others says that Pugh was ranked at least in the same tier as those other players. Reese wouldn't drop a row just to draft for need.

                      And considering we still could have not drafted OT and gotten a player (Eric Winston, for example) says that we still had options in the FA market to address the OL.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                        I know you don't like Fluker. But that's not really the point. Plus, didn't JR say that they had Fluker rated higher than Pugh?
                        Could that not be a smokescreen?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                          I know you don't like Fluker. But that's not really the point. Plus, didn't JR say that they had Fluker rated higher than Pugh?
                          I haven't heard anything of the sort but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. It seems a good amount of teams decided to place more value in safer, smarter players in the 1st round this year than taking riskier but higher upside projects. If I recall, Rhodes has little to no experience playing off-man and that could have turned us away from him. I think the Giants just wanted a solid player in a 1st round that lacked little talent and I don't buy the "best player available" stuff that they say. It's just fan service speech imo.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Drez View Post
                            Well, considering we drafted Pugh over those others says that Pugh was ranked at least in the same tier as those other players. Reese wouldn't drop a row just to draft for need.

                            And considering we still could have not drafted OT and gotten a player (Eric Winston, for example) says that we still had options in the FA market to address the OL.
                            I have been saying that we needed to try to sign Winston. I am telling you, everything you are saying shows me that we were desperate for a RT in the draft who they hoped could start week one.
                            Its precisely that we didn't sign Winston or one of the other vet tackles that we had to make this move.
                            As I said, the kid could turn out to be a gem. None of us can know. But the objective facts suggest that we were taking a potential RT in round one no matter how the board fell.
                            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                              Well that's not the argument. The fact that O line was (and I agree) a glaring need is what set up this pick. The problems here started in free agency when we didn't address or hole at RT.
                              So Jerry put himself in the position where he had to take the best available OT in the draft. And since there was a run on O linemen in round one, he had to reach into the second round to get him.
                              i can see your point on this
                              sigpic
                              FUTURE NY GIANTS PLAYER

                              2015 season tbd

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Imgrate View Post
                                Because it was released after the draft on twitter. By garofalo? I don't have a link so you don't have to believe me, but it is buried in one of these threads.

                                They predetermined that they were taking a rt. Mayock was told that pugh was the pick. The giants fo had no clue who would or would not be there, but as long as fluker or pugh were there, he would be the pick. That is a complete disregard of other players that could have been there. It is also a complete disregard of positional value, which pisses me off the most.
                                So, you're basing it being predetermined that they were going to go Pugh on some tweets that were blasted shortly before we picked? FFS, there's chatter like that before every team's pick in the first.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X