Steve Smith Vs Victor Cruz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Smith Vs Victor Cruz

Although most of us wanted the Giants to rehire Steve Smith. We should be aware that if Smith were rehired then it would have been unlikely that Victor Cruz would have been given a chance. Now we know that Cruz is better than Smith. I maintain that a lot of talented players never get a real chance in this league because the coaches and management are so wedded to the veteran players. Cruz was a real diamond in rough that is better than any # 1 draft choice.Cruz was not even drafted. More power to him. He is just great.

Re: Steve Smith Vs Victor Cruz

[quote user="a50yrfan"]Although most of us wanted the Giants to rehire Steve Smith. We should be aware that if Smith were rehired then it would have been unlikely that Victor Cruz would have been given a chance. Now we know that Cruz is better than Smith. I maintain that a lot of talented players never get a real chance in this league because the coaches and management are so wedded to the veteran players. Cruz was a real diamond in rough that is better than any # 1 draft choice.Cruz was not even drafted. More power to him. He is just great.[/quote]

In fairness to Cruz, I'd like to think he wold be right where he is no matter what. He has TALENT and they would have given him the same chances to make plays. It may have taken longer, but remember, Cruz has only "started" four (I think) games.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

College Football is loaded with great receivers nowadays. Some of these guys are bound to slip through the cracks.

look at Doug Baldwin for the Seahawks was an UDFA.He played with Andrew Luck last year and is having a great rookie year 48 catches for 748 yards.

Comment

I hope that we do get Steve Smith back next year. He is a very smart receiver who knows what is going on the field of play and has great sync with Eli. That has become more obvious this year as we have had to deal with Mario Manningham and his not so smart way of playing. You have to be really smart to succeed at receiver and this league and Steve Smith spoiled us with that. I want Manningham gone, our offense is too complex for him, and I want Steve Smith back to lineup with Nicks and Cruz. Three smart players who can make plays with their skills along with their strong understanding of the position.

Comment

One thing that the Giants are still missing is that guy underneath that runs killer routes thatcould move the chains. Cruz and Nicks make big plays but a 2009 Steve Smith would make this pass attack unstoppable.

Comment

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]One thing that the Giants are still missing is that guy underneath that runs killer routes thatcould move the chains. Cruz and Nicks make big plays but a 2009 Steve Smith would make this pass attack unstoppable.[/quote]

Don't discount Jake Ballard
            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

[quote user="a50yrfan"]Although most of us wanted the Giants to rehire Steve Smith. We should be aware that if Smith were rehired then it would have been unlikely that Victor Cruz would have been given a chance. Now we know that Cruz is better than Smith. I maintain that a lot of talented players never get a real chance in this league because the coaches and management are so wedded to the veteran players. Cruz was a real diamond in rough that is better than any # 1 draft choice.Cruz was not even drafted. More power to him. He is just great.[/quote]

Disagree...had we signed Smith, he would have been on the injury list for much of the season and we would have seen Cruz anyways...

Comment

Cruz can do almost everything Smith could....but the reverse is definitely not true.

Comment

Hopefully we have Nicks, and Cruz outside next year with Smith working the slot.
                  My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

[quote user="Antone78"]I hope that we do get Steve Smith back next year. He is a very smart receiver who knows what is going on the field of play and has great sync with Eli. That has become more obvious this year as we have had to deal with Mario Manningham and his not so smart way of playing. You have to be really smart to succeed at receiver and this league and Steve Smith spoiled us with that. I want Manningham gone, our offense is too complex for him, and I want Steve Smith back to lineup with Nicks and Cruz. Three smart players who can make plays with their skills along with their strong understanding of the position.[/quote]

No chance in hell that happens. Smith is on IR with the same knee injury. His career may be over. Even if he didn't suffer that second injury he would not have played with the Giants again.
                    Emperor Tom

Comment

[quote user="NY_Eli"]Cruz can do almost everything Smith could....but the reverse is definitely not true.[/quote]Smith was more reliable with the hands but Cruz introduces an element of explosiveness that Smith could/never will come close to. If Smith is healthy, that would be a very enticing and cost effective (inside the cap)trio.
                      No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

[quote user="jomo"][quote user="NY_Eli"]Cruz can do almost everything Smith could....but the reverse is definitely not true.[/quote]Smith was more reliable with the hands but Cruz introduces an element of explosiveness that Smith could/never will come close to. If Smith is healthy, that would be a very enticing and cost effective (inside the cap)*trio.[/quote]

Is it really true about Smith's hands? One of the lasting memories of him is the deflection off his hands that led to Eli's only INT in the 2007 playoffs. And he did it again against the Giants in Philly this year, right?

Comment

[quote user="yoeddy"][quote user="jomo"][quote user="NY_Eli"]Cruz can do almost everything Smith could....but the reverse is definitely not true.[/quote]Smith was more reliable with the hands but Cruz introduces an element of explosiveness that Smith could/never will come close to. If Smith is healthy, that would be a very enticing and cost effective (inside the cap)*trio.[/quote]

Is it really true about Smith's hands? One of the lasting memories of him is the deflection off his hands that led to Eli's only INT in the 2007 playoffs. And he did it again against the Giants in Philly this year, right?[/quote]109 catches says yes.
                          My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

[quote user="yoeddy"][quote user="jomo"][quote user="NY_Eli"]Cruz can do almost everything Smith could....but the reverse is definitely not true.[/quote]Smith was more reliable with the hands but Cruz introduces an element of explosiveness that Smith could/never will come close to. If Smith is healthy, that would be a very enticing and cost effective (inside the cap)*trio.[/quote]

Is it really true about Smith's hands? One of the lasting memories of him is the deflection off his hands that led to Eli's only INT in the 2007 playoffs. And he did it again against the Giants in Philly this year, right?[/quote]
                            his hands are overrated, i've seen him drop plenty of passes

Comment

[quote user="jomo"][quote user="NY_Eli"]Cruz can do almost everything Smith could....but the reverse is definitely not true.[/quote]Smith was more reliable with the hands but Cruz introduces an element of explosiveness that Smith could/never will come close to. If Smith is healthy, that would be a very enticing and cost effective (inside the cap)*trio.[/quote]

I beg to differ. Watch the Youtube video of Eli's picks last year. He had at least 4 bounce off his hands. He had decent hands, nothing special once so ever.
                              Emperor Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X