What Grade would you give our draft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by speedman View Post
    We have draft experts on these boards? Which ones work for the nfl?
    Stop it.
    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
      Stop it.
      Stop what? Asking you to back up your statements?
      Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

The problem is that since there was an early run on O linemen, both us and the Bears were in panic mode. Or at least scramble mode. I think the Bears reached as well due to their horrific O line and their inability to protect Cutler. We also reached because we had a hole in our roster at RT.

So yes, I think it was a reach. And whats frustrating about it is that so much great talent fell into our lap due to that run on the O line. Floyd and Rhodes were both top 10 talent and we passed on them. So not only did we reach into the second round, but we had the chance to draft a guy rated much higher than our draft position.
        Floyd and Rhodes were top 10 talents according to who? Three teams AFTER the Giants passed on Floyd. Five teams AFTER the Giants passed on Rhodes, and one of them picked another CB.

So it was a reach to take a guy at 19 who would have probably been selected at 20, but it would not have been a reach to take a guy at 19 who wouldn't have been picked until 23 (Floyd) or to pick a guy at 19 who would not have been picked until 25 (Rhodes)?

Comment

• Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
          Floyd and Rhodes were top 10 talents according to who? Three teams AFTER the Giants passed on Floyd. Five teams AFTER the Giants passed on Rhodes, and one of them picked another CB.

So it was a reach to take a guy at 19 who would have probably been selected at 20, but it would not have been a reach to take a guy at 19 who wouldn't have been picked until 23 (Floyd) or to pick a guy at 19 who would not have been picked until 25 (Rhodes)?
          Because you speculate that another team, that is desperate for O linemen would have also reached for Pugh, doesn't make our pick any less of a reach.
          Its a reach because there was far superior talent, that dropped to us available at 19 and we chased need instead.

I am fine if you disagree.

Comment

• so then 6 other teams in essence also failed to see the far superior talent that you claim was evident?

Comment

• id be willing to make a friendly wager that by years end you end up thanking JR for picking Pugh.

Comment

• I make prediction and say I give the Giants a C-.

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                  id be willing to make a friendly wager that by years end you end up thanking JR for picking Pugh.
                  To me, he was looking good and I doubted heem earlier.

Comment

Because you speculate that another team, that is desperate for O linemen would have also reached for Pugh, doesn't make our pick any less of a reach.
                    Its a reach because there was far superior talent, that dropped to us available at 19 and we chased need instead.

I am fine if you disagree.

"Far superior talent" according to the talking heads only . . . not to the teams that actually made the picks. According to the teams that actually make the picks, Rhodes is a top 25 talent and Floyd is a top 23 talent.

What the talking heads say before the draft means nothing after the draft. Don't you remember how we got a top 15 talent at DT in the second round a few years ago? How did that work out?

Comment

"Far superior talent" according to the talking heads only . . . not to the teams that actually made the picks. According to the teams that actually make the picks, Rhodes is a top 25 talent and Floyd is a top 23 talent.What the talking heads say before the draft means nothing after the draft. Don't you remember how we got a top 15 talent at DT in the second round a few years ago? How did that work out?
                      Prince. JPP

Comment

"Far superior talent" according to the talking heads only . . . not to the teams that actually made the picks. According to the teams that actually make the picks, Rhodes is a top 25 talent and Floyd is a top 23 talent.

What the talking heads say before the draft means nothing after the draft. Don't you remember how we got a top 15 talent at DT in the second round a few years ago? How did that work out?
                        I get your point, but when a lot of teams are out there chasing need, the board can get skewed.
                        In the case of Prince, we took advantage of the poor decisions of other teams and had a top 10 talent drop to us.
                        I don't mind drafting to need as long as:
                        1. You aren't passing on great talent that falls
                        2. You pick a guy who's rating is at or close to your draft position

The reason Floyd and Rhodes dropped is that there was a run on O linemen from teams that were desperate for that position. Plus Buffalo took a 2nd round QB early in round 1.

These drafts never go according to plan because despite all the GM's claims that they go BPA, they can't resist addressing immediate needs. That's why often the teams at the top don't change much.

Comment

• Originally posted by J. Tuck Rule View Post
                          That draft saw 4 of the 7 picks become NFL starters.
                          I'm going to be a bit more optimistic and change the grade to a C. Peprah did have a big year in GB a couple of years ago, even though he didnt make it out of training camp with us. We may have a couple of starters in this years draft as well. Impact players, I'm not so sure of, but like everyone is saying...only time will tell. I'd love to be wrong about this years draft.

Comment

I get your point, but when a lot of teams are out there chasing need, the board can get skewed.
                            In the case of Prince, we took advantage of the poor decisions of other teams and had a top 10 talent drop to us.
                            I don't mind drafting to need as long as:
                            1. You aren't passing on great talent that falls
                            2. You pick a guy who's rating is at or close to your draft position

The reason Floyd and Rhodes dropped is that there was a run on O linemen from teams that were desperate for that position. Plus Buffalo took a 2nd round QB early in round 1.

These drafts never go according to plan because despite all the GM's claims that they go BPA, they can't resist addressing immediate needs. That's why often the teams at the top don't change much.
                            Another thing is this. We drafted Nassib. The clock is ticking for Eli. It's possible that the Giants FO is in "win-now" mode. Our team is going to get a major face lift the next couple years. Nicks or Cruz will probably be gone. Joseph will probably be gone. Webster will be gone. Tuck will be gone. Rolle. Snee. Kiwi etc. Not to say we can't replace their productivity, but our window is closing. And I think the Giants FO know it.
                            http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
                            http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                            http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

• Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
                              Another thing is this. We drafted Nassib. The clock is ticking for Eli. It's possible that the Giants FO is in "win-now" mode. Our team is going to get a major face lift the next couple years. Nicks or Cruz will probably be gone. Joseph will probably be gone. Webster will be gone. Tuck will be gone. Rolle. Snee. Kiwi etc. Not to say we can't replace their productivity, but our window is closing. And I think the Giants FO know it.
                              Personally I don't like the Nassib pick. Not only did we pick him in round 4 but we gave up a 6th for that pick as well.
                              We could have signed a guy like Hasselbeck to back up Eli and protect the team.

I tend to doubt that Nassib will be the replacement for Eli down the road. The truth is that generally you have to stink and get an early pick (as we did in 2003) to get your next QB.

Comment

Personally I don't like the Nassib pick. Not only did we pick him in round 4 but we gave up a 6th for that pick as well.
                                We could have signed a guy like Hasselbeck to back up Eli and protect the team.

I tend to doubt that Nassib will be the replacement for Eli down the road. The truth is that generally you have to stink and get an early pick (as we did in 2003) to get your next QB.
                                Normally this is the truth ...there are exceptions...Brady and Montana come to mind
                                "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Comment

Working...
                                X