What Grade would you give our draft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GentleGiant
    started a topic What Grade would you give our draft?

What Grade would you give our draft?

?

• gumby74
    replied
    Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
    Personally I don't like the Nassib pick. Not only did we pick him in round 4 but we gave up a 6th for that pick as well.
    We could have signed a guy like Hasselbeck to back up Eli and protect the team.

I tend to doubt that Nassib will be the replacement for Eli down the road. The truth is that generally you have to stink and get an early pick (as we did in 2003) to get your next QB.
    But is it because of circumstance or because the later round QBs just around good enough? I find the latter hard to believe - that the later round QBs just don't have the tools to become a starting QB. A big difference between early and later round QBs? How fast they can pick up the pro game.

We all know in the NFL that time is money. Thus, teams don't have the patience to groom players - especially QBs for 3 years. Your essentially saying, we're ok with sucking for 3 years as we develop him.

Also, QBs brought into this league as backups never get the opportunity to start extensively. They were brought as a backup to be a backup. He'll always be a backup. If backups are given the opportunity to start, it's usually via trade and into a bad situation where most QBs would fail. The odds are just stacked against them from the get go.

If the Giants see Nassib as having all the skills necessary to be a good QB - with time, i don't see why it's far fetched to think that he could be Eli's replacement. He has all the time in the world to sit and learn. We have a solid front office, little turnover, and should have a decent cast as we draft well. Heck, Sanchez came in and went to 2 AFC Championship games with a solid supporting cast.

Leave a comment:

• Morehead State
    replied
    Originally posted by fansince69 View Post
    I would also love to point out that finishing bad ...getting the high pick and choosing a franchise QB ....is not always a sure thing ...in fact choosing the wrong guy with that pick can set your program back several years
    No its not. But its interesting that out of the 32 teams, only 7 have starters that were NOT first round picks. (I'm assuming that Manuel will start for Buffalo)
    The quality of scouting these days is pretty good for QB's.

Leave a comment:

• fansince69
    replied
    Personally I don't like the Nassib pick. Not only did we pick him in round 4 but we gave up a 6th for that pick as well.

I tend to doubt that Nassib will be the replacement for Eli down the road. The truth is that generally you have to stink and get an early pick (as we did in 2003) to get your next QB.
    I would also love to point out that finishing bad ...getting the high pick and choosing a franchise QB ....is not always a sure thing ...in fact choosing the wrong guy with that pick can set your program back several years

Leave a comment:

• fansince69
    replied
    That's true, but they are certainly the exceptions.

Just not sure what they are thinking. A vet back up is generally easy to get. I hate Carr as the back up but a rookie isn't much (if at all) better.
    Unless they see something in him.
    It seems to me that you don't move up in the round to pick him if you don't at least consider the possibility that he will be your starter down the road.
    I do not always agree with you ...but in this case I do..

Leave a comment:

• Morehead State
    replied
    Normally this is the truth ...there are exceptions...Brady and Montana come to mind
    That's true, but they are certainly the exceptions.

Just not sure what they are thinking. A vet back up is generally easy to get. I hate Carr as the back up but a rookie isn't much (if at all) better.
    Unless they see something in him.
    It seems to me that you don't move up in the round to pick him if you don't at least consider the possibility that he will be your starter down the road.

Leave a comment:

• fansince69
    replied
    Normally this is the truth ...there are exceptions...Brady and Montana come to mind
    I seriously doubt Nassib is the replacement...He will be finishing his rookie contract and Eli will still have several good years left.....unless we choose to go with a cheaper option

Leave a comment:

• fansince69
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Morehead State
    replied
    Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
    Another thing is this. We drafted Nassib. The clock is ticking for Eli. It's possible that the Giants FO is in "win-now" mode. Our team is going to get a major face lift the next couple years. Nicks or Cruz will probably be gone. Joseph will probably be gone. Webster will be gone. Tuck will be gone. Rolle. Snee. Kiwi etc. Not to say we can't replace their productivity, but our window is closing. And I think the Giants FO know it.

Leave a comment:

• gumby74
    replied
    I get your point, but when a lot of teams are out there chasing need, the board can get skewed.
    In the case of Prince, we took advantage of the poor decisions of other teams and had a top 10 talent drop to us.
    I don't mind drafting to need as long as:
    1. You aren't passing on great talent that falls
    2. You pick a guy who's rating is at or close to your draft position

The reason Floyd and Rhodes dropped is that there was a run on O linemen from teams that were desperate for that position. Plus Buffalo took a 2nd round QB early in round 1.

These drafts never go according to plan because despite all the GM's claims that they go BPA, they can't resist addressing immediate needs. That's why often the teams at the top don't change much.
    Another thing is this. We drafted Nassib. The clock is ticking for Eli. It's possible that the Giants FO is in "win-now" mode. Our team is going to get a major face lift the next couple years. Nicks or Cruz will probably be gone. Joseph will probably be gone. Webster will be gone. Tuck will be gone. Rolle. Snee. Kiwi etc. Not to say we can't replace their productivity, but our window is closing. And I think the Giants FO know it.

Leave a comment:

• pacco_diablo
    replied
    Originally posted by J. Tuck Rule View Post
    That draft saw 4 of the 7 picks become NFL starters.
    I'm going to be a bit more optimistic and change the grade to a C. Peprah did have a big year in GB a couple of years ago, even though he didnt make it out of training camp with us. We may have a couple of starters in this years draft as well. Impact players, I'm not so sure of, but like everyone is saying...only time will tell. I'd love to be wrong about this years draft.

Leave a comment:

• Morehead State
    replied
    Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
    "Far superior talent" according to the talking heads only . . . not to the teams that actually made the picks. According to the teams that actually make the picks, Rhodes is a top 25 talent and Floyd is a top 23 talent.

What the talking heads say before the draft means nothing after the draft. Don't you remember how we got a top 15 talent at DT in the second round a few years ago? How did that work out?
    I get your point, but when a lot of teams are out there chasing need, the board can get skewed.
    In the case of Prince, we took advantage of the poor decisions of other teams and had a top 10 talent drop to us.
    I don't mind drafting to need as long as:
    1. You aren't passing on great talent that falls
    2. You pick a guy who's rating is at or close to your draft position

The reason Floyd and Rhodes dropped is that there was a run on O linemen from teams that were desperate for that position. Plus Buffalo took a 2nd round QB early in round 1.

These drafts never go according to plan because despite all the GM's claims that they go BPA, they can't resist addressing immediate needs. That's why often the teams at the top don't change much.

Leave a comment:

• Imgrate
    replied
    Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
    "Far superior talent" according to the talking heads only . . . not to the teams that actually made the picks. According to the teams that actually make the picks, Rhodes is a top 25 talent and Floyd is a top 23 talent.What the talking heads say before the draft means nothing after the draft. Don't you remember how we got a top 15 talent at DT in the second round a few years ago? How did that work out?
    Prince. JPP

Leave a comment:

• TCHOF
    replied
    Because you speculate that another team, that is desperate for O linemen would have also reached for Pugh, doesn't make our pick any less of a reach.
    Its a reach because there was far superior talent, that dropped to us available at 19 and we chased need instead.

I am fine if you disagree.

"Far superior talent" according to the talking heads only . . . not to the teams that actually made the picks. According to the teams that actually make the picks, Rhodes is a top 25 talent and Floyd is a top 23 talent.

What the talking heads say before the draft means nothing after the draft. Don't you remember how we got a top 15 talent at DT in the second round a few years ago? How did that work out?

Leave a comment:

• Diamondring
    replied
    Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    id be willing to make a friendly wager that by years end you end up thanking JR for picking Pugh.
    To me, he was looking good and I doubted heem earlier.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X