• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mosesmalone
    started a topic ESPN: Nassib best pick of NFL draft

ESPN: Nassib best pick of NFL draft

from ESPN insider:http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...ian-best-picks

, i googled to find the story:

Excerpt: "Throughout the seven rounds and 254 picks of the 2013 NFL draft, there were a lot of players with very impressive college careers welcomed into the professional ranks. And as I review all of the selections now, I'm reminded of one very important fact: All of those college titles, stats and accolades mean precisely zero in terms of their future in the NFL. The slate is wiped clean. From now on, the success of every player in this draft, be it No. 1 overall pick Eric Fisher or Mr. Irrelevant Justice Cunningham, will be determined by how hard they work and apply themselves on the pro playing fields.

As we reflect on the draft, we have a tendency to weight the higher picks more than players selected in later rounds. It's a natural inclination, but it's a faulty one. While they may not have stood out as much as their top-round counterparts in college, they have the same opportunity to succeed in the NFL. Just ask Joe Montana. Just ask Tom Brady. Just ask Alfred Morris.

In reviewing my favorite picks from the 2013 draft, that's a factor I keep at the top of my mind. And it's a big reason I think that the New York Giants landed a tremendous asset by taking Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib.

As I mentioned before the draft, there were no quarterbacks that I believed warranted an early selection. But that doesn't mean the position is devoid of talent. Just that these prospects need time to develop and make use of some of their tools and ability. With Nassib, he's going to get precisely that.

Playing behind Eli Manning, there will be no rush in his development. He can sit back, watch and learn, all while providing the Giants with a terrific safety net in the event of an injury to Eli and perhaps even proving to be Manning's successor.

By Nassib's third year in the pros, Manning will be 35, an age at which statistics have shown QBs usually start to break down physically. Their skills may not have diminished, but the accumulation of the punishment they've endured starts to take its toll and injury becomes far more common. By the time that starts to impact Eli, Nassib should be experienced to the point where the Giants will feel comfortable inserting him into a game and still feeling they have better than a 50-percent chance to win.

It may have seemed like a strange pick because quarterback isn't an immediate need for the Giants. But this pick was made with the long view in mind. And I think it was a very savvy selection." Read more...

Last edited by RoanokeFan; 05-01-2013, 05:04 AM.

• Flip Empty
    replied
    Originally posted by Giant303 View Post
    NE picked Ryan Mallet in the 3rd in 2011. good teams do this fellas.
    Also, the Broncos selected Brock Osweiler in the 2nd last year, and the Steelers took Landry Jones in the 4th this year.

Leave a comment:

• Drez
    replied
    Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
    That's fine but you get my point. I doubt Nassib will be "trade bait" he will play out his rookie contract and become a free agent.......if......
    1. He develops into a legit QB
    If Nassib will become trade bait if that happens. Unless the FO truly believes that Nassib is going to take over for Eli at the end of his current contract, you'd be high to think that they wouldn't trade Nassib if a nice offer came along (save to a division rival, but even then, if the offer is sweet enough).

3rd round contracts are for 4 years.

Leave a comment:

• Drez
    replied
    Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
    The only new LBer this year will be Connor and he was only a starter (last year) by proxy due to injury.

And I haven't seen any tape or analysis to suggest that he is an upgrade over Blackburn and he still has to learn our defense (not to mention the conversion from a 3-4 ILB to a 4-3 MLB and a totally new coach and team).
    Connor was a 43 MLB in Carolina.

However, we will be starting 3 different LBs than what we were last season, or mostly so. Last season was Boley, Blackburn, and Kiwi. This year it will be JWill, Connor, and probably Rivers. Who's to say that they will not perform better than last season's group?

Leave a comment:

• GameTime
    replied
    first Nassib has to prove he is either worth keeping or worth trading....
    right now he is only worth a trip to training camp....
    everything else is just a guess.....

Leave a comment:

• Harooni
    replied
    Its never been the giants style to trade bait., i agree morehead. Eli may still be playing at a high level in 3 -4 years then i dont know what we do, hopefully re-sign Nas cheap

Leave a comment:

• B&RWarrior
    replied
    Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Effectively, it happened to Peyton, too. Sort of. The legend let go for the sake of the team's future.
    The difference is AR was the 24th pick of the draft, but he was projected to go much higher. Luck was the first pick of the draft. Nassib is a 4th round draft pick. The guy was drafted to be a back up that will receive the minimum versus what we pay for Carr.

Leave a comment:

• RoanokeFan
    replied
    I don't know...I forgot it.
    But whatever it was I'm sure it was insightful.
    Indeed, as we've come to expect

Leave a comment:

• Morehead State
    replied
    Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Your point?
    I don't know...I forgot it.
    But whatever it was I'm sure it was insightful.

Leave a comment:

• RoanokeFan
    replied
    If they tendered a QB and then he started...he'd bolt out of anger after year 4.
    Your point?

Leave a comment:

• Morehead State
    replied
    Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Here's a thought; suppose they sign him to a 3 year contract. If he's developing better than hoped, they could then tender him I believe as a 3 year veteran.
    If they tendered a QB and then he started...he'd bolt out of anger after year 4.

Leave a comment:

• Flip Empty
    replied
    For the record.....GB didn't take Favre back because they knew that if they did, they would lose Rodgers the next year when his contract was up.
    If it can happen to Favre, (the most beloved Packer in history) does anyone really think it can't happen to Eli.
    Effectively, it happened to Peyton, too. Sort of. The legend let go for the sake of the team's future.

Leave a comment:

• RoanokeFan
    replied
    That's fine but you get my point. I doubt Nassib will be "trade bait" he will play out his rookie contract and become a free agent.......if......
    2. He doesn't get a chance to play with us.

Contracts are shorter for 4th round picks.

For the record.....GB didn't take Favre back because they knew that if they did, they would lose Rodgers the next year when his contract was up.
    If it can happen to Favre, (the most beloved Packer in history) does anyone really think it can't happen to Eli.
    Here's a thought; suppose they sign him to a 3 year contract. If he's developing better than hoped, they could then tender him I believe as a 3 year veteran.

Leave a comment:

• Morehead State
    replied
    Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    I was referring to Matt Flynn coming off the bench, having a lights-out game, and then garnering a ton of interest.
    2. He doesn't get a chance to play with us.

Contracts are shorter for 4th round picks.

Leave a comment:

• joemorrisforprez
    replied
    Matt Flynn was a free agent when he left the Pack. They got nothing for him.
    That will also happen to Nassib if he doesn't get a shot to start down the road.
    This notion that we will trade Nassib for value is highly unlikely.
    He was drafted to be a back up QB and "possibly" the heir apparent down the road.
    I was referring to Matt Flynn coming off the bench, having a lights-out game, and then garnering a ton of interest.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X