Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fumble issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fumble issues

    We all know TC is huge on ball security...as he should be. We also know he benched Wilson due to his fumble early in the year and it took forever to dig himself out of that. I was looking at stats earlier today and was shocked to see that Barry Sanders fumbled 10 times his rookie year and four more the following year. I am not equating Wilson to Barry Sanders, but the point is that dynamic play makers have had rookie issues before and they were not benched. I have no idea what Sanders was like in pass protection that year, so please don't throw that one out. We know Wilson struggled that way, but it was not why he was benched. Just sayin'...


    edit: spelling
    Last edited by Turbo; 05-03-2013, 03:57 PM.

  • #2
    Wilson had 1 fumble all year...he didn't struggle with fumbles his rookie year. He didn't play because his pass protection wasn't good. It would of been easy for the opponent to figure out when he comes into the game its a run.

    Comment


    • #3
      Well we know tc doesnt like fumblers but he fixed tikis issue so he knows how to do it. I'm not worried at all.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Turbo View Post
        We all know TC is huge on ball security...as he should be. We also know he benched Wilson due to his fumble early in the year and it took forever to dig himself out of that. I was looking at stats earlier today and was shocked to see that Barry Sanders fumbled 10 times his rookie year and four more the following year. I am not equating Wilson to Barry Sanders, but the point is that dynamic play makers have had rookie issues before and they were not benched. I have no idea what Sanders was like in pass protection that year, so please don't throw that one out. We know Wilson struggled that way, but it was not why he was benched. Just sayin'...


        edit: spelling
        Because the Lions didn't view themselves as being in the hunt for the SB every year back then. Turnovers are coach killers and any coach that likes there position is going to go with guys who minimize giveaways. TC would always take a sure handed punt returner versus an explosive type for the same reason................it is a winning strategy plain and simple.
        No one remembers who came in second.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DownWitJPP View Post
          Wilson had 1 fumble all year...he didn't struggle with fumbles his rookie year. He didn't play because his pass protection wasn't good. It would of been easy for the opponent to figure out when he comes into the game its a run.
          So TC benched him immediately after his fumble because of pass protection?

          Comment


          • #6
            Fumbling is a huge issue. I think Wilson just needs to be comfortable a bit and he'll be fine. With the way our RB roster is looking, I'll start to believe that Wilson is going to get really good time.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Turbo View Post
              We all know TC is huge on ball security...as he should be. We also know he benched Wilson due to his fumble early in the year
              Not saying I agree or disagree with you, but that second statement is pure opinion and not fact.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by njg85m View Post
                Not saying I agree or disagree with you, but that second statement is pure opinion and not fact.
                Fact is he fumbled and was benched starting the next play. If that was not due to him fumbling then you would be correct.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Turbo View Post
                  Fact is he fumbled and was benched starting the next play. If that was not due to him fumbling then you would be correct.
                  Again, I get very frustrated when people seem to have selective memory of how things actually happened.

                  Bradshaw was hurt at the time, No one had any expectations of Andre Brown let alone did anyone think that he would come OUT OF NO WHERE and play like a pro bowler the very next week, Bradshaw got healthy. There were numerous things that happened.

                  I'm not saying his contribution was not limited THAT DAY because of the fumble, in fact it is extremely common for many teams in the league to limit a players touches or bench them altogether after a fumble for that game. I'm simply pointing out that it is ridiculous and shortsighted to assume that David Wilsons fumble in the season opener somehow prevented him from being our #1 back when that simply isn't the case.

                  Again, you need to look back and put things in perspective. Brown surprised absolutely everybody, Bradshaw played better than expected. It's insane to think that Tom Coughlin changed his entire gameplanning for a year because of one fumble. He's a future HOF coach, not a moron.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Turbo View Post
                    We all know TC is huge on ball security...as he should be. We also know he benched Wilson due to his fumble early in the year and it took forever to dig himself out of that. I was looking at stats earlier today and was shocked to see that Barry Sanders fumbled 10 times his rookie year and four more the following year. I am not equating Wilson to Barry Sanders, but the point is that dynamic play makers have had rookie issues before and they were not benched. I have no idea what Sanders was like in pass protection that year, so please don't throw that one out. We know Wilson struggled that way, but it was not why he was benched. Just sayin'...


                    edit: spelling
                    First, Wilson wasn't "benched." Had he been benched, he would not have broken the record for the most all purpose yards in a single game. His offensive snaps were limited for a variety of reasons to include the infamous fumble.
                    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      TC could afford to send a stern message or messages to Wilson. Bradshaw was there to pick up the load at running back demoting Wilson to a lesser role!

                      the fumble did benefit Wilson greatly by (1 he hasnt dropped another ball since and (2 that first fumble in his first game will always be on his mind!

                      i wouldnt be surprised if Wilson never fumbled again! lol
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
                        TC could afford to send a stern message or messages to Wilson. Bradshaw was there to pick up the load at running back demoting Wilson to a lesser role!

                        the fumble did benefit Wilson greatly by (1 he hasnt dropped another ball since and (2 that first fumble in his first game will always be on his mind!

                        i wouldnt be surprised if Wilson never fumbled again! lol
                        Fumbles lose games. Fumbles cost HC their jobs because they are judged on their W-L record. Fumbles need to be minimized. Guys who fumble more need to play less. I like winning. Fumbles cost us wins. The difference between 8-8 and 10-6 teams in the NFL is not that great. Turnovers are usually the reason that a 10-6 team finishes 8-8. Fumbles are bad.
                        No one remembers who came in second.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          its no mystery how Coughlin feels about fumbling but he has to remember that I'm sure those feelings go back to a time when players did not try to rip the ball out before they even try to tackle the ball carrier. These are different times and I watch the defensive players ripping at the ball 2 and 3 at a time and wonder how the hell does the ball carrier even have a chance of holding on to it. For this reason I have a lot of sympathy and understanding when I see the ball get ripped out. I know we all hate to see a fumble but from where I sit its getting very hard to hang on to it these days and I think TC needs to understand that ...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Wow, I think everyone is forgetting the most important thing about Wilson's fumble.

                            He was emotionally DISTRAUGHT on the sideline. You cannot absolutely cannot put that guy back on the field. TC gave him time to grow in confidence and used him in situations to facilitate that. If TC had put him straight back in the game and he fumbled again (highly likely from the state he was in) it could have undermined his confidence for the entire year.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think it he learned a good lesson. The difference between winning and losing many times is turnovers. We were trying to repeat as SB Champs.

                              Let this be the last Sanders and Wilson comparison. It's a bad comparison for several reasons.
                              Last edited by B&RWarrior; 05-03-2013, 06:29 PM.
                              Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

                              http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X