just wondering about this draft as it pertains to LBers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just wondering about this draft as it pertains to LBers

just prior to this draft I remember reading an article that quoted Mara telling the media that he wanted the team to get tougher in the trenches on both sides of the ball. So we go into the draft and take an O tackle in rd1 and a D tackle in rd2 and draft no LBers at all. I was just wondering how this draft would have gone if Mara had said he wanted to improve the LBer position?

Originally posted by JesseJames View Post
    just prior to this draft I remember reading an article that quoted Mara telling the media that he wanted the team to get tougher in the trenches on both sides of the ball. So we go into the draft and take an O tackle in rd1 and a D tackle in rd2 and draft no LBers at all. I was just wondering how this draft would have gone if Mara had said he wanted to improve the LBer position?
    I was wondering about JR deceptively (which I like) telling his competitors that he focuses on the BPA. Yes we do draft for need.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
      I was wondering about JR deceptively (which I like) telling his competitors that he focuses on the BPA. Yes we do draft for need.
      Reese just proved it in this draft so that puts that idea to bed..

Comment

Reese just proved it in this draft so that puts that idea to bed..
        He's not fooling us any longer. Actually I think the philosophy has evolved over the years. I heard a stat on NFL Radio the other day and it went something like this. Over the past 10 years, the total games played by rookies has more than doubled which means that teams are looking more and more for immediate help. The higher veteran minimums also mean that rookies and UDFA's are more attractive salary cap wise. So it should be no surprise that we would be drafting more and more for need and less BPA.

Comment

Jomo.... we are both on the same side with this thinking...

Comment

I think it's a forgone conclusion that the BPA philosophy fall within the parameters of players that fit our system. I think they are genuinely high on Pugh. I don't think the put a premium on LB play in our system. Rd 2 was the most obvious choice. Arthur Brown was available and they chose Hankins instead. We need both, and we have added players to both DT and LB in free agency. I say your right. I smell need loud and strong no matter how much JR is yelling value.
            Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

maybe Cooper Taylor and Damontre Moore will play some LB..

Comment

Arthur Brown wouldve been a giant if they realized connor & rivers just aren't that Good ontop of always being hurt...

Comment

Mara doesn't tell Reese to do anything. What probably happened was Mara sat down Reese at the end of the season, asked him what went wrong and how is he going improve the team. Reese probably told him we needed to get younger and reload in the trenches, and that's the answer Mara gave to the media.

Comment

Originally posted by myles2424 View Post
                    Arthur Brown wouldve been a giant if they realized connor & rivers just aren't that Good ontop of always being hurt...
                    So you think it was a need pick. I think they valued a DT over a LB. We already signed Rogers and Jenkins at DT and we still got Hankins.
                    Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

Comment

Originally posted by drewz View Post
                      Mara doesn't tell Reese to do anything. What probably happened was Mara sat down Reese at the end of the season, asked him what went wrong and how is he going improve the team. Reese probably told him we needed to get younger and reload in the trenches, and that's the answer Mara gave to the media.
                      Yeah, Mara seems like a rational owner that let's the coaches coach and the personnel experts do their job. I don't see him as a Jerry Jones type of owner.

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
                        So you think it was a need pick. I think they valued a DT over a LB. We already signed Rogers and Jenkins at DT and we still got Hankins.
                        Here's something else to consider. In the discussion regarding Cooper Taylor, TC suggested he might be an "outside backer." Could Reese have had LB in mind when he drafted him?
                        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Jomo.... we are both on the same side with this thinking...
                          +1

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
                            Yeah, Mara seems like a rational owner that let's the coaches coach and the personnel experts do their job. I don't see him as a Jerry Jones type of owner.
                            +1
                            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

+1
                              I'm trying to figure out if he is bragging or complaining

Comment

Working...
                              X