Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy

Hello all!

So as I'm a new guy on here and thought I'd post first of all to say hello, and secondly to explain a situation/predicament I'm in!

I'm from the UK, and have been following the NFL for roughly 2-3 years now. I ended up choosing Carolina Panthers as my team and as such have been following them for the last 2 years give or take. However over the last few months, I've found the Giants interesting and attracting me more and more for different reasons - let me explain.

If we go back to when I first started getting into the NFL, I joined a Madden online connected franchise league to try and help me get to know more about the sport and other teams (I had already decided to opt for the Panthers as my team). The Giants were the team I ended up with in this league, as such it was the Giants that were some of the first players I really got to know about, as well as silly things like their kits, stadium and history etc. I was also able to get to the International Series in the UK last year and of course I got to see the Giants live against the Rams.

I've also started following baseball recently and have 1 eye on the Yankees as a team to follow (that's a different conversation!).

So what brings me on here then if I chose the Panthers as my NFL team

I started thinking about my choice of team, and realised Giants were the first Madden team I controlled, they are a team I've seen live, and New York is a place I'd love to visit one day. It seems like the Giants are a team that seem to always be in and around my NFL following up to now.

I thought I'd join this forum, see what you guys think of what I've said, and also to get chatting to Giants fans and see what kind of fan base the Giants have. I have been on a Panthers forum too, so be interesting to compare the fan bases of both team.

Maybe I will remain a Panthers fan, maybe I won't, but can't hurt to join this forum, get chatting, and see where this goes!

(es I am aware this may also seem a weird topic to have started too haha)

Welcome to the boards.

We Giants fans love to tailgate before Giants games and our food of choice is Fray Bentos Pie!

I expect you'll chose us over Panthers fans now.

Comment

One of the great things about the Giants is a long tradition. The Pantherrs are newbies, and that's OK if you prefer that. I always liked the underdog. That meant the Brooklyn Dodgers who could never seem to beat the Yanks in the World Series, except for the lone time in 1955. Anyways, I started to watch Football in '58 and the Giants were winners, so I didn't latch on to them. I couldn't find a team to root for until the AFL was conceived in 1960... the perfect under dog league. My sister's fiance' played for the new Titans until he re-wrecked his knee... but, the die was cast and I became a Titans/Jets and AFL fan.
      Then in 1968 my new aunt-in-law, a Giant season's ticket holder since 1943, took me to a Giant's game, and continued to take me and school me on Giant lore. It took a few years before I finally found myself rooting for the Giants as my team... which was especially easy because they had gone from NFL Champs to NFL perennial basement dwellers in the mid 60's.... and neatly filled my preference for under dogs.
      It's been a great ride and I've been so much happier to be rooting for this great franchise through their Ups and Downs.
      Welcome to our boards.
      Last edited by zimonami; 07-04-2017, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TLMS View Post
        Hello all!

So as I'm a new guy on here and thought I'd post first of all to say hello, and secondly to explain a situation/predicament I'm in!

I'm from the UK, and have been following the NFL for roughly 2-3 years now. I ended up choosing Carolina Panthers as my team and as such have been following them for the last 2 years give or take. However over the last few months, I've found the Giants interesting and attracting me more and more for different reasons - let me explain.

If we go back to when I first started getting into the NFL, I joined a Madden online connected franchise league to try and help me get to know more about the sport and other teams (I had already decided to opt for the Panthers as my team). The Giants were the team I ended up with in this league, as such it was the Giants that were some of the first players I really got to know about, as well as silly things like their kits, stadium and history etc. I was also able to get to the International Series in the UK last year and of course I got to see the Giants live against the Rams.

I've also started following baseball recently and have 1 eye on the Yankees as a team to follow (that's a different conversation!).

So what brings me on here then if I chose the Panthers as my NFL team

I started thinking about my choice of team, and realised Giants were the first Madden team I controlled, they are a team I've seen live, and New York is a place I'd love to visit one day. It seems like the Giants are a team that seem to always be in and around my NFL following up to now.

I thought I'd join this forum, see what you guys think of what I've said, and also to get chatting to Giants fans and see what kind of fan base the Giants have. I have been on a Panthers forum too, so be interesting to compare the fan bases of both team.

Maybe I will remain a Panthers fan, maybe I won't, but can't hurt to join this forum, get chatting, and see where this goes!

(es I am aware this may also seem a weird topic to have started too haha)
        Good luck and welcome.
        May I suggest that you don't "choose" your team. They choose you.
        Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

I'll second what Morehead said.

But a word of caution... once you become a Giants fan there is no turning back.

Comment

How would you say the Giants chose you?

I chose the Panthers, but it just feels like Iíve had more of a connection with the Giants

Comment

I have a feeling that this is the green bay guy. Apologies if I'm wrong.

Comment

Green Bay guy?

Comment

Hi TLMS-
                  As you sort this all out, just remember one thing:
                  NY Giants = Good.
                  Dallas Cowboys = Bad.
                  Have a good day!
                  "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                  "No...I didn't."
                  "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Welcome to the boards and new fans are always welcomed.
                    But you said "silly things" like the history of the team.
                    As Zim said the have a rich tradition and their history is not silly....

I second the decision to be a Yankee and Giants fan......

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

I chose the Panthers, but it just feels like Iíve had more of a connection with the Giants
                      I think you just answered your own question.

Comment

you just answered your own question.

Comment

Originally posted by scoostraw View Post

I think you just answered your own question.
                          haha well said

Comment

Think the thing is for me I'd feel bad about changing teams

But at same time Iíve used Giants in Madden and really got to know more about their players and itís quite good saying Iíve seen them play too, just seems like there is more of a connection with Giants
                            Last edited by TLMS; 07-05-2017, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DownWitJPP View Post

haha well said
                              Great minds...

Comment

Working...
                              X