Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Giants want to skip OTAs

http://nypost.com/2017/07/10/more-gi...-to-skip-otas/

Excerpt: "Another Giant has come to the defense of Odell Beckham Jr. over his absence during the team’s “useless” organized team activities.

Defensive tackle Damon Harrison made the case Monday, saying he didn’t want to be there, either. Harrison said the workouts are pointless for a 350-pound defensive lineman, and when asked what he made of Beckham skipping OTAs in late May, Harrison simply said, “Nothing.”

“To be 100 percent honest with you, I didn’t even want to be at the voluntary workouts,” Harrison said on NFL Network’s “Good Morning Football.” “I’m a physical guy and I can’t do anything physical there [because] we don’t have on shoulder pads.”

For Harrison, Beckham already has proven his talents when and where it matters most: games.

“For a guy like Odell, 1,300-plus yards every year he’s been in the league, 10-plus TDs every year he’s been in the league,” Harrison said. “When you come to a New York Giants game, 98 percent of people in attendance come to see Odell Beckham Jr.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Whether it helps one player or another isn't the point. It helps many, many players and most importantly it helps the team. I don't care one bit if he "wanted to be there". He signed a huge deal an has an obligation to his team and his teammates.

Why do you think Eli is there? Does he "need the work"?....No. But it helps his teammates and the team in general.

I wish these guys would just go to these OTA's and be happy that they get back to football. ...Jeez.
    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

What's the evidence that it helps the team? Plenty of players miss these every year - if there was any correlation at all between attendance at OTAs and success on the field I'm sure it would have been written about and documented.

you could argue that it is more beneficial for the development of the likes of Shepard & Engram that Beckham isn't there dominating the receptions from Eli.

Comment

I'm sure there are plenty of NFL players that don't want to be there for the OTAs since they are voluntary and I expect to see more players skipping them. I'm sure the the teams don't like to see players skipping OTA's, but they can't do anything about it unless the owners address it in the next CBA and attempt to make OTAs mandatory.
        One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
          Whether it helps one player or another isn't the point. It helps many, many players and most importantly it helps the team. I don't care one bit if he "wanted to be there". He signed a huge deal an has an obligation to his team and his teammates.

Why do you think Eli is there? Does he "need the work"?....No. But it helps his teammates and the team in general.

I wish these guys would just go to these OTA's and be happy that they get back to football. ...Jeez.
          I sort of understand his particular thought about not being in pads which also means no contact, etc. I have often criticized the CBA taking control of the practices. But I also think they should be together.
          “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by Essex Blue View Post
            What's the evidence that it helps the team? Plenty of players miss these every year - if there was any correlation at all between attendance at OTAs and success on the field I'm sure it would have been written about and documented.

you could argue that it is more beneficial for the development of the likes of Shepard & Engram that Beckham isn't there dominating the receptions from Eli.
            What's the evidence that team practices help the team...........

That's kind of a strange question.....Don't you think?

Comment

Well the Giants announced their practice schedule for training camp. Maybe they should just bypass all that and just hop on a plane to Dallas for their week 1 game.

Comment

Well the Giants announced their practice schedule for training camp. Maybe they should just bypass all that and just hop on a plane to Dallas for their week 1 game.
                hyperbole much? Honestly, OTAs for linemen are a joke. Harrison is just pointing out the obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post

hyperbole much? Honestly, OTAs for linemen are a joke. Harrison is just pointing out the obvious.
                  I agree Don, OTA's do nothing for lineman Snacks is right.

Comment

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post

To ****ing bad. It's a team and they are highly paid athletes.
                    Practice IS hard for football players. I can understand their not wanting to be there. But it takes commitment to win a championship. I don't like what I'm hearing and seeing along those lines......At least from a few players.

I'll look to see who's whining about OTA's in New England.

Comment

To ****ing bad. It's a team and they are highly paid athletes.
                      Practice IS hard for football players. I can understand their not wanting to be there. But it takes commitment to win a championship. I don't like what I'm hearing and seeing along those lines......At least from a few players.

I'll look to see who's whining about OTA's in New England.
                      I really don't think that they are whining about OTA's ... just trying to take heat off of their teammate ....

Another Post headline that doesn't match up with the article.

Comment

there is no difference between OTA's and an optional "workshop" or "expo" or "conference" OUR employers ask us to go to on a Saturday and Sunday (or any other day you get off). Why do fans think they have the right to demand that these guys show up to OTA's. This conversation is getting OLD.

Comment

Beckham didn't want to be there because of his contract situation and I don't blame him one bit
                          If the Giants FO extends or tears up his existing rookie contract this fall or next spring I'm sure that Odell will be there with bells on

Comment

Hahaha
                            We're here and we think were ready to play .... let's see what happens "

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysready View Post
                              there is no difference between OTA's and an optional "workshop" or "expo" or "conference" OUR employers ask us to go to on a Saturday and Sunday (or any other day you get off). Why do fans think they have the right to demand that these guys show up to OTA's. This conversation is getting OLD.
                              No one is demanding anything. We are allowed to express our opinions about it....Right?

Or should we just shake our pom poms and keep quiet otherwise?

Comment

Working...
                              X