Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaun O'Hara predicts big things from Engram

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...7-507d80a286c7

"As a player, Shaun O’Hara always said that rookies should be seen and not heard.
    As an analyst, he understands there are some you just have to talk about. And Evan Engram is one of them.

O’Hara, a former three-time Pro Bowl center and Super Bowl XLII champion for the Giants, recently broke down film on the rookie tight end while appearing on NFL Network. The No. 23 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft left Ole Miss as the program’s all-time leader in receptions (162), receiving yards (2,320) and touchdown catches (15) by a tight end. He was also the first player in school history – keep in mind this is the same place where Eli and Archie Manning played -- to earn All-SEC honors four times.

“When the Giants drafted him, I had to kind of go back and watch film and find out who this kid is, but [the explosive plays] are the types of plays that showed up as soon as you turned on the film,” O’Hara said. “He’s a tight end, but he runs better than a receiver. So you’ve got the tight end screens. Now look at him finding space in the defense and a little yards after the catch. Giants fans haven’t seen that since Jeremy Shockey. So they’re excited. They’re going to be watching him in training camp.”
    After praising Engram’s receiving skills, including his ability to climb the ladder in the red zone, O’Hara got down to his area of expertise: blocking.
    During OTAs, tight ends coach Kevin M. Gilbride said that Engram showed a “willingness to block and to finish and strain the way we’re asking our guys to strain. … I don’t see him backing down. He has a toughness and a willingness to go against anyone on our defense.”
    Of course, that was during non-contact practices in the spring. That all changes at the end of this month when the pads come on at training camp.
    “It’s all about effort,” O’Hara said. “This kid loves to get his hands dirty. He’s a hard worker. I was in that building a couple weeks ago, and they’re raving about the work ethic and the explosive plays that this young kid has.”"

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

If he pans out, the idea of him, Odell and Sterling for the next handful of years is exciting. Not to mention Marshall.
    NFL Draft (Realistic Hope):

Rd 1
    Garrett Bolles - OT
    David Njoku - TE
    Zach Cunningham - OLB

Comment

Originally posted by Piddy283 View Post
      If he pans out, the idea of him, Odell and Sterling for the next handful of years is exciting. Not to mention Marshall.
      He should open things up for the other 3.plus attack defenses down the seam where we didn't have any luck last few years with the TEs they had

Also in the RedZone they could also bring in Ellison.. with those 5 they could sneak a pass to Ellison off a block and be wide open

Last edited by miked1958; 07-12-2017, 08:31 AM.
      Football has been very, very good to us.
      After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
      But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
      2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
      3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
      4-New York Giants!!!
      5-NE
      Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

I find this take interesting from him, mainly because he was ripping the giants about the pick on NFLN a day or two after they picked Engram.
        We all that we got!

Comment

Originally posted by miked1958 View Post

He should open things up for the other 3.plus attack defenses down the seam where we didn't have any luck last few years with the TEs they had

Also in the RedZone they could also bring in Ellison.. with those 5 they could sneak a pass to Ellison off a block and be wide open
          I agree about Engram having s significant impact in the red zone and time of possession, two aspects of the game where the giants were just awful at last season.
          We all that we got!

Comment

Originally posted by SG88 View Post
            I find this take interesting from him, mainly because he was ripping the giants about the pick on NFLN a day or two after they picked Engram.
            I was gonna say that.....or was he down on the Webb pick? I forget....
            "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
            "No...I didn't."
            "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

As long as Engram stays healthy, show that he can block & open up the Offense in the middle of the field I'll be satisfied.
              New York Giants Superbowl XXI, XXV, XLII, XLVI Champions!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X