Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Giants WR Odell Beckham in Jerry Rice's class? Joe Montana says ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Giants WR Odell Beckham in Jerry Rice's class? Joe Montana says ...

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.'s first three seasons have been as good as any wide receiver in NFL history. All Beckham needs to do is keep it up for another 15 years or so and he could be in the conversation with Jerry Rice for the title of greatest receiver ever.

"Oh, yeah, I think so," former 49ers quarterback Joe Montana told the New York Post when asked if Beckham can one day be in the conversation with Rice. "Hopefully he makes it that far down the line with injuries and all. I hope he does."

Montana and Rice formed one of the greatest quarterback-wide receiver duos in NFL history with the 49ers from 1985-90. They won back-to-back Super Bowls in the 1988 and 1989 seasons.

Rice played 21 seasons and he holds the NFL records for receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns by wide margins. Beckham is tied for the most catches (288), second in receiving yards (4,122) and tied for fifth in most receiving touchdowns (35) for the first three seasons of an NFL career.

"He's really fun to watch and he's very acrobatic," Montana said. "He makes some pretty spectacular catches and he's really consistent." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Wow. 21 Seasons.

Rice was also a consummate pro. Nobody worked harder.

ODB has a long ways to go to equal that.

*Just beat the damn Cowboys and I can be happy.*
    (The Eagles? Who gives a crap about the Eagles?)

Comment

As great as ODB has been, he's got a long way to go before he can be compared to Jerry Rice.
      All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

So , far the only comparison to Rice is his drops in the Packers playoff game. Rice dropped a few key passes early in his career. He turn that around rapidly and has rings to prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by fifthavephil View Post
          So , far the only comparison to Rice is his drops in the Packers playoff game. Rice dropped a few key passes early in his career. He turn that around rapidly and has rings to prove it.
          This was brought up in another thread. I remember Rice had to deal with the Giants and Bears great defenses in the mid 80s, but not the details on his drops - whether it was tight coverage or even what could be called interference these days. G.B. had all backups in the secondary.

Comment

Talent wise maybe
            Career wise is not even close yet, OBJ has a long way to go.
            New York Giants Superbowl XXI, XXV, XLII, XLVI Champions!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

This was brought up in another thread. I remember Rice had to deal with the Giants and Bears great defenses in the mid 80s, but not the details on his drops - whether it was tight coverage or even what could be called interference these days. G.B. had all backups in the secondary.
              My favorite Jerry Rice drop (after catch). The play starts at around 6:15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQsB3TUuu2I&t=2s

Comment

Originally posted by Pisarczik View Post

My favorite Jerry Rice drop (after catch). The play starts at around 6:15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQsB3TUuu2I&t=2s
                Wow, looks like I'm going to have to cut Beckham some slack.

Comment

Originally posted by Antwuan View Post
                  Talent wise maybe
                  Career wise is not even close yet, OBJ has a long way to go.
                  Odell is way more talented than Jerry Rice. Doesnt mean he is a better WR.
                  WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

True!
                    New York Giants Superbowl XXI, XXV, XLII, XLVI Champions!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

I think you mean to say greater in which case that's fair (Odell obviously hasnt had time to catch him there) as far as talent and athleticism Odell obviously blows him away

Oh and I feel like it's worth noting.. Odell doesn't cheat..

Rice struggled BIG TIME with drops early in his career, who knows if he would've even been a blip of what he is if he was never introduced to stickum

People say every record by Barry Bonds and Arod are tainted, but you NEVER hear an ill word spoken of Jerry Rice which is hilarious because stickum helps a WR 100x more than steroids help a batter, world of blind favoritism

Bu​​​​​​t anyway good on Joe for not letting bias cloud his judgement
                      Last edited by Eliordie; 07-12-2017, 05:30 PM.
                      If you've never played your opinion is invalid

Comment

Originally posted by WayBackFan View Post
                        Wow. 21 Seasons.

Rice was also a consummate pro. Nobody worked harder.

ODB has a long ways to go to equal that.
                        Consummate pro? No, he was a cheater with no honor... as far as im concerned Odell has already surpassed him there, and may be a harder worker too
                        If you've never played your opinion is invalid

Comment

Rice put up some gaudy numbers considering how much teams just ran the ball back then and defensive backs could just mug receivers all damn day

Comment

OBJ is only going into his 4th year. If you want to compare him to players 3 years into their career fine. but how in the world are we projecting over a decade down the road. Rice had Montana and Young as his primary QB's. OBJ has Eli and who ? Is OBJ better than Antonio Brown and Julio Jones is a much better comparison over the last 3 years. Now for first 3 years I believe OBJ is all over Randy Moss numbers. These would be much more interesting discussions that could actually be argued with numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by fifthavephil View Post
                              I remember one his drops well.

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a 1/4 turn.

Comment

Working...
                              X