Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Giants WR Odell Beckham in Jerry Rice's class? Joe Montana says ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post
    OBJ is only going into his 4th year. If you want to compare him to players 3 years into their career fine. but how in the world are we projecting over a decade down the road. Rice had Montana and Young as his primary QB's. OBJ has Eli and who ? Is OBJ better than Antonio Brown and Julio Jones is a much better comparison over the last 3 years. Now for first 3 years I believe OBJ is all over Randy Moss numbers. These would be much more interesting discussions that could actually be argued with numbers.
    Well it's funny you say that because I'm sure part of the reason he was asked is because most consider Rice the goat, but in actuality.. Moss is

And id​​​​​​c about the QBs in this discussion, as they're all great (Eli, Joe, Ben, Matt Ryan) how about the fact that Odell is the only of the bunch to not have a run game or any secondary targets to take pressure on him, it pisses me off how everyone thinks AB is the best in the league and he's not even the engine of his offense, Bell makes his job soo ****in easy, put Odell in his situation and it's an easy 2000 yards and 20 TDs.. Odell saw like 1 snap vs single man coverage this entire year and he took a slant to the house on it

All​​​​​​ we had to do was put Jenkins on Brown and it was easy work, no one can do that to Beckham, casual Vikings fans think you can "omg Rhodes put Beckham on lock" most laughable **** I ever heard as a top 3 safety in football shaded him every snap of the game.. good job Rhodes you're really good at 2v1 when you have just about the best partner you can possibly get, Harrison was way more key to that game than Rhodes, all due respect to him, he is good but there's not 1 corner in the league who can stick Beckham straight up, if you even try it's an auto TD.. but thanks to Beckham being all by himself he NEVER gets that chance.. the next time Beckham is on the field and there's only 5 guys in coverage will be the first, AB gets to see that 10x every week
    Last edited by Eliordie; 07-13-2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

Odell is way more talented than Jerry Rice. Doesnt mean he is a better WR.
      this is a very strange statement

Comment

I don't think many guys want to play that long. They get more money for shorter playing time and knowing about CTE and post football mortality rates, you have to quit while you're ahead...

or they write HOF on your tomb
        Long Live the King

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

this is a very strange statement
          What part?
          http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

Comment

What part?
            the statement ... the entire thing

Comment

Originally posted by WayBackFan View Post
              Wow. 21 Seasons.

Rice was also a consummate pro. Nobody worked harder.

ODB has a long ways to go to equal that.
              16 in San Fran, the final 5 he wasn't really "Jerry Rice" haha. He had such an amazing career though. The only football jersey I ever owned of a non Giants player is Jerry Rice. Rice was great because of hard work, if Beckham can work that hard he will be successful without a doubt.
              LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
              "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Jerry Rice is and was a great pro, on and off the field. his numbers are all time he gets and deserves his GOAT status. his key was longevity. his ability to stay relatively healthy and playing with a couple of GOAT qbs as well. so he had a lot going for himself during his career. Odell must also have those ingredients to reach Rice's level. hope he does, all with the GMen.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fifthavephil View Post
                  So , far the only comparison to Rice is his drops in the Packers playoff game. Rice dropped a few key passes early in his career. He turn that around rapidly and has rings to prove it.
                  The only drop that I remember Rice making is in the playoff game vs the Giants. Rice wide open way out in front of our secondary in the first series of the playoff game at Giants stadium and he dropped the sure TD pass. Wouldn't have mattered we won that game 49-3 at home and then beat the Skins 17-0 before winning the SB. 66-3 ratio in points for 2 playoff game I would think that might be some sought of record. I think that was the final numbers it was a long time ago.

Comment

Totally different type of receiver, even within their era's.
                    Rice is the greatest receiver in the history of the game, our guy is still trying to control his emotions during a game and avoid getting baited into dumb ****.

I can't remember a single incident of Rice having the out of body experiences that OBJ seems to have almost weekly.
                    No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

I enjoyed the podcast Roanoke. Were all thinking the same thing no matter who you talk to. Every Giant fan is wondering if the O line is going to torpedo our season it seems all other parts of the team are ready to go.

Comment

like many in here say: 'Today's QBs arent so impressive with all their yards and such because in todays game its not as big as a a deal"
                        Well shouldnt the same sentiment go for WRs too?

Rice's most impressive accomplishment was his longevity while keeping his performance level near or at the top every season.
                        "it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

​​​​​​ -Jesse James

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

the statement ... the entire thing
                          Interesting.

You dont think Odell is a more athletically gifted and talented than Rice? But not the better WR? I do. I think Odell is one of the best WRs I have ever seen, up with Rice and Moss, but he has a long way to go to catch up to them.

Comment

Interesting.

You dont think Odell is a more athletically gifted and talented than Rice? But not the better WR? I do. I think Odell is one of the best WRs I have ever seen, up with Rice and Moss, but he has a long way to go to catch up to them.
                            On the final rung up the ladder to legendary greatness, athleticism becomes less important than all the other things which OBJ hasn't shown enough of.

We are still not sure that his lack of discipline won't torpedo what should be a great career.

Doesn't anyone here remember when Darryl Strawberry's athleticism brought comparison with Willie Mays?

Same with Doc Gooden.....

Athleticism gets you on the road to greatness and then the hard work begins.
                            Last edited by jomo; 07-13-2017, 07:00 PM.
                            No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

nail
                              head
                              "it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

​​​​​​ -Jesse James

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

On the final rung up the ladder to legendary greatness, athleticism becomes less important than all the other things which OBJ hasn't shown enough of.

We are still not sure that his lack of discipline won't torpedo what should be a great career.

Doesn't anyone here remember when Darryl Strawberry's athleticism brought comparison with Willie Mays?

Same with Doc Gooden.....

Absolutely agree. And unfortunately I don't see Odell reaching his full potential because of his personality. You need the talents and the determination and the focus.

Comment

Working...
                                X