Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Giants WR Odell Beckham in Jerry Rice's class? Joe Montana says ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pisarczik View Post

My favorite Jerry Rice drop (after catch). The play starts at around 6:15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQsB3TUuu2I&t=2s
    Thanks Pisarczik, enjoyed all those Giant U tube vidios. Boy I loved those Parcell defenses. Hope ours this year come to live in Giant folk lore like Parcells. They really hit the stuffing out of you. Everyone of those LBers were just terrific. And Bavaro and Carthon on offense were just as tough.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

Interesting.

You dont think Odell is a more athletically gifted and talented than Rice? But not the better WR? I do. I think Odell is one of the best WRs I have ever seen, up with Rice and Moss, but he has a long way to go to catch up to them.
      Odell is an incredibly dynamic player.....But Jerry Rice?

That's some rarefied air.
      Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

Odell is an incredibly dynamic player.....But Jerry Rice?

That's some rarefied air.
        I think Jerry is obviously one of the greatest. I just can't help but be reminded who was throwing him the ball most his career. Some of the best QBs to ever play the game.
        WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

On the final rung up the ladder to legendary greatness, athleticism becomes less important than all the other things which OBJ hasn't shown enough of.

We are still not sure that his lack of discipline won't torpedo what should be a great career.
          Those are rare qualities for young men who find themselves making more money than they ever dreamed of. The Jerry Rices and Michael Jordans are people who LIVE and BREATHE to be the best and they punish themselves to get there. The triangle at the top of the mountain is tiny and doesn't accept ANY flaws in focus and determination.
          No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

I think Jerry is obviously one of the greatest. I just can't help but be reminded who was throwing him the ball most his career. Some of the best QBs to ever play the game.
            He was picked by NFLN a few years ago as the greatest player in NFL history. Jerry Rice isn't "one of the best". He's the gold standard.

Comment

He was picked by NFLN a few years ago as the greatest player in NFL history. Jerry Rice isn't "one of the best". He's the gold standard.
              I'm not sure some understand how great Jerry Rice was

his game was the closest thing to perfect that has ever existed in this league

his preparation tactics are legendary and are attempted to be mimicked by hundreds of players to this day

The guy did not run he glided and was one of the most deceiving, crafty, slippery players ever

Odell cannot be compared to Jerry Rice ... not yet anyway ... he would have to accomplish some pretty amazing things before that conversation was had

I remember the same things popping up when Randy Moss burst on the scene

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

I'm not sure some understand how great Jerry Rice was

his game was the closest thing to perfect that has ever existed in this league

his preparation tactics are legendary and are attempted to be mimicked by hundreds of players to this day

The guy did not run he glided and was one of the most deceiving, crafty, slippery players ever

Odell cannot be compared to Jerry Rice ... not yet anyway ... he would have to accomplish some pretty amazing things before that conversation was had

I remember the same things popping up when Randy Moss burst on the scene

Moss surpassed him, and did it without cheating

Also​​​​​​ if we're talking slippery/deceptive, Odell is 10,000 lightyears ahead of him there, there's maybe 5 humans alive who would lay a finger on him in open field
                Last edited by Eliordie; 07-14-2017, 03:33 AM.
                If you've never played your opinion is invalid

Comment

I completely understand that. I understand how some people see that. I really start remembering the NFL in the late 80s so I was young in the first stage of his career, but I remember watching him many years in his prime. Hell, he was still good at 40. Amazing player.

I just have a hard time saying the word GOAT. The only one I really can put my hat down and call a GOAT in any sport is Michael Jordan. In the NFL, there is just too many variables. A WR needs a QB, an OL to give that QB time, and a defense to win championships. How can anyone say Jerry Rice is better than Joe Montana? Or better than Randy Moss? Or better than Jim Brown? You cant. How many great WRs never had the opportunity to be one of the greatest because of the QBs they played with? Calvin Johnson comes to mind. So does Larry Fitzgerald. Those were great WRs that never really had a chance to be the greatest because of their QB situations. IF they had Joe Montana and Steve Young or Tom Brady or Peyton Manning their whole careers, imagine what they would have done. Thats why I say one of the greatest.

Odell could be one of the greatest, if he straightens his act out a bit.
                  Last edited by TheAnalyst; 07-14-2017, 06:25 AM.
                  WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

I completely understand that. I understand how some people see that. I really start remembering the NFL in the late 80s so I was young in the first stage of his career, but I remember watching him many years in his prime. Hell, he was still good at 40. Amazing player.

I just have a hard time saying the word GOAT. The only one I really can put my hat down and call a GOAT in any sport is Michael Jordan. In the NFL, there is just too many variables. A WR needs a QB, an OL to give that QB time, and a defense to win championships. How can anyone say Jerry Rice is better than Joe Montana? Or better than Randy Moss? Or better than Jim Brown? You cant. How many great WRs never had the opportunity to be one of the greatest because of the QBs they played with? Calvin Johnson comes to mind. So does Larry Fitzgerald. Those were great WRs that never really had a chance to be the greatest because of their QB situations. IF they had Joe Montana and Steve Young or Tom Brady or Peyton Manning their whole careers, imagine what they would have done. Thats why I say one of the greatest.

Odell could be one of the greatest, if he straightens his act out a bit.
                    Odell has as much talent as any WR I have ever seen. But as I'm sure you would agree, talent isn't enough. Converting that talent to helping your team win, and truly being great, requires a level of professionalism that Odell has not reached. Nor is he close.

Like you, I expect that he will get himself right and fulfill his potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Eliordie View Post

Well it's funny you say that because I'm sure part of the reason he was asked is because most consider Rice the goat, but in actuality.. Moss is

And id​​​​​​c about the QBs in this discussion, as they're all great (Eli, Joe, Ben, Matt Ryan) how about the fact that Odell is the only of the bunch to not have a run game or any secondary targets to take pressure on him, it pisses me off how everyone thinks AB is the best in the league and he's not even the engine of his offense, Bell makes his job soo ****in easy, put Odell in his situation and it's an easy 2000 yards and 20 TDs.. Odell saw like 1 snap vs single man coverage this entire year and he took a slant to the house on it

All​​​​​​ we had to do was put Jenkins on Brown and it was easy work, no one can do that to Beckham, casual Vikings fans think you can "omg Rhodes put Beckham on lock" most laughable **** I ever heard as a top 3 safety in football shaded him every snap of the game.. good job Rhodes you're really good at 2v1 when you have just about the best partner you can possibly get, Harrison was way more key to that game than Rhodes, all due respect to him, he is good but there's not 1 corner in the league who can stick Beckham straight up, if you even try it's an auto TD.. but thanks to Beckham being all by himself he NEVER gets that chance.. the next time Beckham is on the field and there's only 5 guys in coverage will be the first, AB gets to see that 10x every week
                      You are truly underrating Antonio Brown as a receiver. IMO I think he's the best route running receiver in the league. Just because Brown has a better supporting cast doesn't necessarily mean that Odell would score 20 tds in a season in Pittsburgh. Brown still produces big numbers when LB misses games. IMO I don't think there are any corners that can shut down AB or Julio Jones as well.

Comment

Moss surpassed him, and did it without cheating

Also​​​​​​ if we're talking slippery/deceptive, Odell is 10,000 lightyears ahead of him there, there's maybe 5 humans alive who would lay a finger on him in open field
                        selective memory I see... or more likely no memory strictly highlight film

you had to be 9 or 10 when Jerry went to Oakland and was basically a shell of himself ... that tells me everything I need to know

Odell is amazing.... absolutely love him ... one of the best athletes I have ever seen and possesses the golden key ... but he will never be Jerry Rice

not even if he played for 30 years

just doesn't have the mental capacity or self control

which is fine ... he will be remembered one way or another
                        Last edited by YATittle1962; 07-14-2017, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

selective memory I see... or more likely no memory strictly highlight film

you had to be 9 or 10 when Jerry went to Oakland and was basically a shell of himself ... that tells me everything I need to know

Odell is amazing.... absolutely love him ... one of the best athletes I have ever seen and possesses the golden key ... but he will never be Jerry Rice

not even if he played for 30 years

just doesn't have the mental capacity or self control

which is fine ... he will be remembered one way or another
                          You put them on the same field in their prime with blank jerseys, and what would a scout say Jerry is better at? Probably nothing, but open field elusiveness would be the absolute last thing, obviously Odell is 10x the athlete.. it'd be a lambo vs a Volkswagen

Also I hate that everyone ignores this but why did Jerry feel the need to cheat? Not enough confidence in his hands? The day Odell has that problem... but unlike everyone else I can't just sweep the stickum thing under the rug because it would delude my own nostalgia

Comment

Originally posted by jay051 View Post

You are truly underrating Antonio Brown as a receiver. IMO I think he's the best route running receiver in the league. Just because Brown has a better supporting cast doesn't necessarily mean that Odell would score 20 tds in a season in Pittsburgh. Brown still produces big numbers when LB misses games. IMO I don't think there are any corners that can shut down AB or Julio Jones as well.
                            AB is great, and is unquestionably a top 3 WR in the league, but he's not as individually talented as Beckham.. he's just in a far better situation and is utilized a lot better than Odell, god forbid we ever once give the most dangerous man alive with the ball in his hands a screen pass, I know some teams that'd do it 5x a game if they had him, don't think I've seen a single one since his rookie year.. just slant, slant, slant.. he could be the greatest ever on the fly route to but our playcalling can't open that up cause we're bad

Comment

You put them on the same field in their prime with blank jerseys, and what would a scout say Jerry is better at? Probably nothing, but open field elusiveness would be the absolute last thing, obviously Odell is 10x the athlete.. it'd be a lambo vs a Volkswagen

Also I hate that everyone ignores this but why did Jerry feel the need to cheat? Not enough confidence in his hands? The day Odell has that problem... but unlike everyone else I can't just sweep the stickum thing under the rug because it would delude my own nostalgia
                              I have respect for your man crush ... it's fine ... I understand it well

but Odell will never be Jerry

and Jerrys hands were probably the least impressive thing about his abilities ... stickum only helps with one thing ya know ... and to be honest it is not a whole lot different from the gloves worn today ... the only difference is these gloves are legal

I guess you would think that somehow stickum makes Biletnikoff less of a WR as well ...

I have come to not expect a whole lot of unbiased opinions from people your age who never saw certain people play in real time

can't blame you for that

what would a scout say ?... thats a good one ...

Last edited by YATittle1962; 07-14-2017, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I'll never understand how to some of you saying that Odell is not Jerry Rice is somehow disrespecting Odell ... that's just silly

it's not like anyone is saying he is not Bobby Johnson ..., my goodness

guess what ?....Derek Trucks is not Jimi Hendrix ... that is not disrespecting Derek in any way shape or form

Brad Mehldau is not McCoy Tyner ... is that disrespecting Brad ?

Last edited by YATittle1962; 07-14-2017, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X