Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Giants WR Odell Beckham in Jerry Rice's class? Joe Montana says ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Montana is being so so kind. To think that Beckham will ever have the work ethic and
    mental capacity of Rice is delusional. JR was so insanely driven and I remember Dion Sanders
    saying but the guy didn't have fun. Yes Rice the man was a machine. Beckham is a kid that has to
    prove himself for many years before we talk about being in the same league. Beckham doesn't have
    the toughness, he gets rattled to easily.
    sigpic

LT - Carson - Kelley - Van Pelt

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
      I'll never understand how to some of you saying that Odell is not Jerry Rice is somehow disrespecting Odell ... that's just silly

it's not like anyone is saying he is not Bobby Johnson ..., my goodness

guess what ?....Derek Trucks is not Jimi Hendrix ... that is not disrespecting Derek in any way shape or form

Brad Mehldau is not McCoy Tyner ... is that disrespecting Brad ?
      or Freddie Hubbard isn't Miles
      or Hebbie Han**** isn't Oscar Peterson
      or Cannon Ball is Coltrane
      or Steve Gadd isn't Billy Cobham

you got me going on the j*** thing
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I got you ... but some of those you mentioned are contemporaries ...

I'm more saying ... Brian Blade is not Elvin Jones ... that is not a knock on Brian

Comment

I got you ... but some of those you mentioned are contemporaries ...

I'm more saying ... Brian Blade is not Elvin Jones ... that is not a knock on Brian
          Yes ... just no comparison. Fun fact: My Trumpet teacher Van used to hang out with Coltrane in Dix Hills, LI and get high with Trane in his basement.
          Van told me he was the coolest dude. What a player he was.
          sigpic

Comment

Joe Montana is being so so kind. To think that Beckham will ever have the work ethic and
            mental capacity of Rice is delusional. JR was so insanely driven and I remember Dion Sanders
            saying but the guy didn't have fun. Yes Rice the man was a machine. Beckham is a kid that has to
            prove himself for many years before we talk about being in the same league. Beckham doesn't have
            the toughness, he gets rattled to easily.
            lets just ignore the fact that Beckham has put up the best numbers by a WR his first 3 years? And he missed several games his rookie year.

you have no idea what his work ethic is like. None. You don't wake up one morning and become a top 1-3 WR in the NFL. JR wasn't the only player with an insane workout and won't be the last.

Comment

Met Billy Cobham in 2002 at a small club in Alexandria, VA. Have a signed copy of Spectrum as a result. Hell of a drummer, and an even nicer guy
              Last edited by Die-Hard; 07-15-2017, 08:14 AM.
              The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

selective memory I see... or more likely no memory strictly highlight film

you had to be 9 or 10 when Jerry went to Oakland and was basically a shell of himself ... that tells me everything I need to know

Odell is amazing.... absolutely love him ... one of the best athletes I have ever seen and possesses the golden key ... but he will never be Jerry Rice

not even if he played for 30 years

just doesn't have the mental capacity or self control

which is fine ... he will be remembered one way or another
                Jerry Rice would take about 10 days off after every season, then commit himself to a rigorous program of continuous improvement. There are only a few whose will to win burns so brightly that they can't stand themselves if they aren't advancing their game. Jordan was another one of them They subscribed to the Bobby Knight philosophy that the "will to win" isn't nearly as important as the "will to prepare to win."

The true legends, never get there on God given athleticism alone.
                No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by EliDaMANning View Post
                  lets just ignore the fact that Beckham has put up the best numbers by a WR his first 3 years? And he missed several games his rookie year.

you have no idea what his work ethic is like. None. You don't wake up one morning and become a top 1-3 WR in the NFL. JR wasn't the only player with an insane workout and won't be the last.
                  Well looks were gonna have to wait a few years and come back to this conversation to
                  settle this but for now I hope he has a great season for the Giants this year.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'll never understand how to some of you saying that Odell is not Jerry Rice is somehow disrespecting Odell ... that's just silly

it's not like anyone is saying he is not Bobby Johnson ..., my goodness

guess what ?....Derek Trucks is not Jimi Hendrix ... that is not disrespecting Derek in any way shape or form

Brad Mehldau is not McCoy Tyner ... is that disrespecting Brad ?
                    Odell=Jimi Hendrix of football

Comment

I have respect for your man crush ... it's fine ... I understand it well

but Odell will never be Jerry

and Jerrys hands were probably the least impressive thing about his abilities ... stickum only helps with one thing ya know ... and to be honest it is not a whole lot different from the gloves worn today ... the only difference is these gloves are legal

I guess you would think that somehow stickum makes Biletnikoff less of a WR as well ...

I have come to not expect a whole lot of unbiased opinions from people your age who never saw certain people play in real time

can't blame you for that

what would a scout say ?... thats a good one ...
                      Catching is a pretty big part of being a WR... if you can't do that then nothing else matters, you suck.. and they could ban gloves tomorrow and Odell would still have the greatest pure hands anyone has ever seen

And like I said IF the jersies were blank.. Odell and Jerry in the same yard.. and all you had to go on was watching these 2 nameless guys play, not 1 person in the world would pick #80 and you be hard pressed to find one skill or physical attribute that he was superior in

And​​​​​​ you can't say Odell will never be Jerry, you could say that it's unlikely, but as of now there's certainly the possibility that Odell smashes all his records to bejesus and back.. and if you're gonna bring up SBs to counter that argument I'm not exclusively tying SBs or lack of to any WR.. but even so it's still possible Beckham catches Jerry there too, if a WR wins 5 SBs and breaks every record there is than he's better than Jerry in every regard.. a guy could have 30,000 career receiving yards and the old crowd would still say "well he ain't Jerry"

Hmm imagine that every age group has their bias, at least some people can recognize theirs...

Comment

Based on the stats alone I would say there is almost zero chance anyone catches Rice.

Rice averaged 1400 yards and 14 TDs a season from 86 to 96...averaged!!!

played 20 years. I doubt very much we will see that again. More talented guys may come along but I don't think there is much chance we ever see the consistency and longetivity again
                        Last edited by TE88; 07-15-2017, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post

Met Billy Cobham in 2002 at a small club in Alexandria, VA. Have a signed copy of Spectrum as a result. Hell of a drummer, and and even nicer guy
                          Y'all should listen to Phil Schapp (cousin of Jeremy, nephew of Richard) on WKCR fm (89.9). He's probably the most knowlegable person alive for j*** history. Does a daily Charlie Parker show from 8:20am to 9:30. Also, the Thursday evening DJ, Sharif Abul Salam, starts his show with Trane every week. They've both been at it since the early 70's and are a treasure on the airwaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Eliordie View Post

Catching is a pretty big part of being a WR... if you can't do that then nothing else matters, you suck.. and they could ban gloves tomorrow and Odell would still have the greatest pure hands anyone has ever seen

And like I said IF the jersies were blank.. Odell and Jerry in the same yard.. and all you had to go on was watching these 2 nameless guys play, not 1 person in the world would pick #80 and you be hard pressed to find one skill or physical attribute that he was superior in

And​​​​​​ you can't say Odell will never be Jerry, you could say that it's unlikely, but as of now there's certainly the possibility that Odell smashes all his records to bejesus and back.. and if you're gonna bring up SBs to counter that argument I'm not exclusively tying SBs or lack of to any WR.. but even so it's still possible Beckham catches Jerry there too, if a WR wins 5 SBs and breaks every record there is than he's better than Jerry in every regard.. a guy could have 30,000 career receiving yards and the old crowd would still say "well he ain't Jerry"

Hmm imagine that every age group has their bias, at least some people can recognize theirs...
                            There are a lot of similarities between Odell and Jerry, in particular their ability to get yards after the catch. I don't recall Jerry ever making the insane catches that OBJ does, but it always seemed like the ball was always right where Jerry needed it to be. I think what stood out about Jerry was how professional he was, and how effortless he made it look.

I agree with you about every age group having their bias. For many of us old-time Giant fans, LT (the original) will always be held up as the greatest to ever play the position. We recognized his flaws as a human being, but loved him for his heart and passion on the field.

OBJ may one day reach Rice numbers, but he has to achieve a lot more before anyone should suggest he is in his class. Just my two cents.
                            My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Comment

Originally posted by fletch842 View Post

Y'all should listen to Phil Schapp (cousin of Jeremy, nephew of Richard) on WKCR fm (89.9). He's probably the most knowlegable person alive for j*** history. Does a daily Charlie Parker show from 8:20am to 9:30. Also, the Thursday evening DJ, Sharif Abul Salam, starts his show with Trane every week. They've both been at it since the early 70's and are a treasure on the airwaves.
                              Sounds awesome, thanks for sharing!
                              The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Eliordie View Post

And you can't say Odell will never be Jerry, you could say that it's unlikely, but as of now there's certainly the possibility that Odell smashes all his records to bejesus and back..
                                Dead on with this statement. Odell could possibly shatter a lot of receiving records and I'm sure we would all love to see Odell make that happen. Right now Jerry Rice is the DON when it comes to the wide receiver position. Odell without a doubt is one of those once in a lifetime generational players in this league.

Comment

Working...
                                X