Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Giants WR Odell Beckham in Jerry Rice's class? Joe Montana says ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GameTime View Post

nail
    head
    Hey man, enough with the name calling.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

Hey man, enough with the name calling.
      I took no offense at that.
      No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

All good stuff TE88.
        If you had to pick a career track that OBJ is most likely on right now and the track is TO or Jerry Rice.
        I don't think there is any question that it would be TO. Not too shabby but nowhere near the best there ever was.
        T.O. was a very big man, and more physical than elusive. It seemed he relished contact with defenders, as opposed to how Beckham looses it when tackled or messed with. I don't believe his career's start was anything close to what Beckham has put up so far?
        But as far as on the field or sidelines drama, and needing to be the center of attention - yes, very similar.
        Last edited by jimmie ray; 07-18-2017, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WayBackFan View Post
          Wow. 21 Seasons.

Rice was also a consummate pro. Nobody worked harder.

ODB has a long ways to go to equal that.
          Zero chance he plays that long, I would be shocked if he played at a high level for more than a decade. The odds are just so stacked against him.

Comment

Rice was like a cyborg. He was a killer.

ODB has physical skills for sure but he is nowhere near Rice in the mental aspect.

As far as the "stickum" controversy, what do you think the gloves these guys wear today do?

Do you think ODB would have made his famous catch without gloves? The ball stuck to his hand like a magnet.

ODB is quite amazing though but probably more like a shooting star.
            Last edited by WayBackFan; 07-18-2017, 07:34 AM.
            Fan since 1970.
            ---------------------

----------------------------------------------
            "If practice makes perfect and perfection is impossible, why practice?"-- Joe Don Looney

Comment

Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

T.O. was a very big man, and more physical than elusive. It seemed he relished contact with defenders, as opposed to how Beckham looses it when tackled or messed with. I don't believe his career's start was anything close to what Beckham has put up so far?
              But as far as on the field or sidelines drama, and needing to be the center of attention - yes, very similar.
              I agree with your comparison of styles, they are decidedly different. I was more comparing the temperament and willingness (and ability) to put all else aside in pursuit of being the best of all time. Hopefully OBJ finds that passion but I think it is something that you are born with. I'll bet Rice was the same guy in high school. We may be saddled with a merely great, sometimes annoying WR. They don't come along often either.

Comment

External Factors: Montana then Young, both top 20 GOAT. The West Coast Offense was the dominant offense of Rice's era.

Internal Factors (variables controlled by the player): Rice's work ethic trumps almost any player's.

Rice was able to play at a high level well beyond his prime. From the age of 36 to 41 Rice averaged 77 receptions, over 1000 yards, 12.98 YPC, and 6.5 TDs. I said 36 to 41- no B.S.!!! TO was the last receiver I saw that looked good beyond 35.

According to some studies, 26 to 27 is the peak performance time of a WR's career. So, Jerry dominated the game 15 years beyond his prime. This is Paul Bunion, John Henry, and Clark Kent stuff right here.

Rice is incomparable to any other football player. He is arguably the best football player of all time. Name another player that dominated a young man's (position heavily reliant on speed) position for such a long time.

OBJ isn't even the best WR in the league now. Rice comparisons are silly. OBJ is my dog, but NO...JUST NO.
                Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Originally posted by TE88 View Post

Yep which is even more reason why Rice will be untouchable.

I love Beckham but the case study for this type of thing is Terrell Owens. One of the very best EVER and in fact was mentored by Jerry Rice in the beginning but he soiled his career with stupidity throughout. People don't even realize how good TO was because everybody hates him. Even Randy Moss - arguably the best ever but the knock is that period in his career where he allowed the stupidity to take him off the rails. And in fact it did ruin his production for a period of time

Beckham is not TO but rightly or wrongly he (or anyone else who wants to be considered better than Rice) would have to put up Rice-like numbers AND exhibit the work ethic plus professionalism of Rice to ever really be seen the same way.

The only thing that stopped Rice was age. As YA said, closest thing to perfect the game had seen
                  The facts are that OBJ has put up far better numbers than any WR in history in his first 3 seasons. Frankly, its not even that close.

This whole discussion is way premature. The only way you can compare is when OBJ's career has ended.

TO and OBJ? lazy comp if you ask me. There has never been anyone in the league quite like Beckham.

Comment

He has the athletic ability. He has the drive to be great. 2 things are getting in his way imo. His focus and his "passion".

He seems too wrapped up in being a celebrity.

Comment

Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
                      He has the athletic ability. He has the drive to be great. 2 things are getting in his way imo. His focus and his "passion".

He seems too wrapped up in being a celebrity.
                      Very few people have the God given ability to be a candidate for the "best of all time." Fewer still have the finishing skills to actually get there. He is in the first category but falls apart in the second category. It is what it is. We have a game changing WR for the moment. No need to focus on what he won't be when he is in fact that good.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
                        I don't know what "talented" means. Please explain that to us. Is it frosting on the tips of the hair? Is it 40 yard dash time? How exactly do you determine after 2 years that he is more "talented" than Rice?

BTW I am a huge OBJ fan.
                        im not saying odell is better than rice but i mean he is clearly faster, can jump way higher. i meant physical talent.

Comment

Rice played against garbage except for Deion Sanders. That's about it. It's like bragging about Wilt Chamberlain's numbers when he played against midgets. To their credit, they dominated and they're considered all time greats. But Wilt in the 90s and he's not putting up 50PPG.

Megatron, Moss or even TO would destroy the midget CB of the 80s. Rice is top 5 all time WR though.

Comment

Lol this debate is laughable. Jerry Rice was great in his era...with the greatest qb ever throwing him passes...and then Steve young...obj is better in every aspect of the game.Beckham is the only giant that ever could knock out L.T as the greatest Giant ever...making him the greatest football player to ever step foot on a professional field in the history of the sport...idc about being a homer...I know what I know

Comment

Originally posted by BeckhamCards View Post
                              Lol this debate is laughable. Jerry Rice was great in his era...with the greatest qb ever throwing him passes...and then Steve young...obj is better in every aspect of the game.Beckham is the only giant that ever could knock out L.T as the greatest Giant ever...making him the greatest football player to ever step foot on a professional field in the history of the sport...idc about being a homer...I know what I know
                              Lol. Someone created a new ID so they can post this?? Now thats too funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X