• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What They're Saying: QB Ryan Nassib

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...qb-ryan-nassib

Excerpt: "Fourth-round pick: QB Ryan Nassib, Syracuse

Here's our rapid reaction and what the Giants are saying about Nassib:

Marc Ross: When I look at quarterbacks, I don’t look at arm strength and all that. That stuff is secondary to me. I look at guys who are leaders and winners and raise the level of their team and when they’re on the field they have a presence about them and some moxie to them. Those are the attributes to me that stood out with him. I saw him play twice this year when USC played here and then up in the snow in the bowl game up in Yankee Stadium. Then at the Senior Bowl. This guy just has a presence about him around his team, and then at the Senior Bowl around guys he didn’t know. Those are the winning attributes for me that I look for in quarterbacks.

Tom Coughlin: [The Giants' quarterback position] is probably even more stable ... I like the kid. The kid was graded really basically right where we took him. He could have gone in the third round, I’m sure. We were worried about that. But he has got outstanding leadership qualities. And the way in which he directs and leads his team, the intangibles, he does have a strong arm. Those are the things that attract. He is a very, very intelligent young man. Of course, he went to a great school.

This is a great opportunity for Ryan because he is going to be in the classroom with Eli Manning. That is going to be a tremendous learning experience. There is no way you can put a value on that for him. Now on top of that, he is a really sharp kid. He will learn; he will grow. He will learn by watching Eli. And when he gets opportunities in camp he will take full advantage of that and we will go from there.

Jerry Reese: He’s got the arm strength. We like the accuracy about him. We like that 'it' factor on him. When I first watched him he reminded me of the quarterback at Cincinnati (Andy Dalton) that played at TCU. He reminded me of Dalton in some ways when I first saw him, but our scouts liked him. Our coaches like him. Our quarterbacks coach (Sean Ryan) likes him. Too much value, we pick the highest guy on the board. He’s the highest guy on the board, we picked him.

We have Eli in the prime of his career and you actually hope this quarterback never plays. Again, what if something happens? We want to have a guy ready to go and this guy fits the pattern that we need." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Tebow seems to be what Ross is looking for.
    My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
      Tebow seems to be what Ross is looking for.
      Go to your room!
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

This kid is going to be a tremendous free agency pickup for the Raiders in 2017.
        "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

I like the things I have seen and heard about Nassib but I really dont think he will still be here when Eli retires or he will be waiting a long time.
          " Loser's assemble in little group's and complain about the coaches and the player's in other little group's, but winner's assemble as a team " - Hall of Fame qoute by - Bill Parcells when he was speaking with Wellington Mara about the inscription of Emlen Tunnell's Hall of Fame.

Comment

Originally posted by JsBigBlue View Post
            I like the things I have seen and heard about Nassib but I really dont think he will still be here when Eli retires or he will be waiting a long time.
            I don't think the FO sees him as Eli's replacement IF Eli plays for more than 3 years, which he probably will. I think they see Nassib as a QB who can be mentored by Eli and, in the event of an injury to Eli, actually come in and drive down the field. No one has been worried about that in any serious way until now. It's a good thing that they are concerned that something could happen to Eli.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
              I don't think the FO sees him as Eli's replacement IF Eli plays for more than 3 years, which he probably will. I think they see Nassib as a QB who can be mentored by Eli and, in the event of an injury to Eli, actually come in and drive down the field. No one has been worried about that in any serious way until now. It's a good thing that they are concerned that something could happen to Eli.
              I think a few variables will come into play.....if Eli does get injured, and Nassib salvages a couple wins, his stock rises considerably....then it shifts to whether or not we can afford to pay him big money to wait another year or two. He is UFA in 4 years, when Eli will be 36. 38 is really the point when QBs either retire or begin to slide.....so can we afford to keep him on the bench for 5-6 years, and does he want to do that?.

If he's as good and confident as Reese believes, then I don't see him sitting still for more than a couple years without a trade being in the works....assuming Eli stays as durable as his personal and family history would suggest.

Like you said, most likely scenario is a capable young backup for a few years until the open market comes calling.
              Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 05-06-2013, 06:00 PM.
              "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
                I think a few variables will come into play.....if Eli does get injured, and Nassib salvages a couple wins, his stock rises considerably....then it shifts to whether or not we can afford to pay him big money to wait another year or two. He is UFA in 4 years, when Eli will be 36. 38 is really the point when QBs either retire or begin to slide.....so can we afford to keep him on the bench for 5-6 years, and does he want to do that?.

If he's as good and confident as Reese believes, then I don't see him sitting still for more than a couple years without a trade being in the works....assuming Eli stays as durable as his personal and family history would suggest.

Like you said, most likely scenario is a capable young backup for a few years until the open market comes calling.

There is just no way of knowing at what point, if any, Nassib will take the field but I think you have outlined most of the likely scenarios. I do hope Nassib outperforms Painter and Carr to the extent we can just keep two QBs come 2014.

Comment

There is just no way of knowing at what point, if any, Nassib will take the field but I think you have outlined most of the likely scenarios. I do hope Nassib outperforms Painter and Carr to the extent we can just keep two QBs come 2014.
                  Honestly I think we took a QB to early to take over for Eli and I dont see him knowing the playbook better then Carr or Painter in less then one year. So unless he shows something amazing during camp and pre-season or unless TC decides to go with 3 QB's. But even then I see him becoming trade bait and in two years we should start looking for Eli's replacement.
                  " Loser's assemble in little group's and complain about the coaches and the player's in other little group's, but winner's assemble as a team " - Hall of Fame qoute by - Bill Parcells when he was speaking with Wellington Mara about the inscription of Emlen Tunnell's Hall of Fame.

Comment

Honestly I think we took a QB to early to take over for Eli and I dont see him knowing the playbook better then Carr or Painter in less then one year. So unless he shows something amazing during camp and pre-season or unless TC decides to go with 3 QB's. But even then I see him becoming trade bait and in two years we should start looking for Eli's replacement.
                    If he develops into a better understudy than Carr or Painter, he'll likely be here through his rookie contract. We really do need a back up who can actually play in case Eli's durability starts to slip.

Comment

If he develops into a better understudy than Carr or Painter, he'll likely be here through his rookie contract. We really do need a back up who can actually play in case Eli's durability starts to slip.
                      Hopefully Eli's durability wont be a problem with the new Oline we will have this year. If he does stay then I would like to see another Farve and Rogers situation happen and more so the Rogers and not the Farve...lol

Comment

Hopefully Eli's durability wont be a problem with the new Oline we will have this year. If he does stay then I would like to see another Farve and Rogers situation happen and more so the Rogers and not the Farve...lol
                        We really don't have a "new" Oline except for Pugh. He may be a plus, but we won't know until they take the field.

Comment

We really don't have a "new" Oline except for Pugh. He may be a plus, but we won't know until they take the field.
                          Do we even know if Pugh is the RT. I know they hope he is. But I'm not sure he'll be the starter week 1.
                          I absolutely hated what I saw with those clips from the Senior Bowl.
                          Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                            Do we even know if Pugh is the RT. I know they hope he is. But I'm not sure he'll be the starter week 1.
                            I absolutely hated what I saw with those clips from the Senior Bowl.
                            We are assuming by process of elimination lol The left side is set, Snee is probably set, RT is a competitive venture that I pray Pugh wins outright.

I try not to make decisions based on one game, especially like the senior bowl when you are playing with strangers for the first and only time.

Comment

That's why we have a GM like JR. We Fans always look at the year ahead, Jerry looks 2,3, even 4 years ahead to stack our team with solid players. We are so spoiled we get mad if we have a winning season, but still miss the playoffs. Doesn't anyone except Jerry Reese understand that this QB could be our next Jeff Hostetler ? ( And I think He was picked in the 4th Rd. too ).

Comment

Working...
                              X