Giants this season?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants this season?

What are your expectations for the team this year?
    I think we at least make it back to the playoffs.

I agree. I think the D will be just as good or better. The O could be dynamic but it all hinges on the Line giving Eli a few more seconds to pick out his weapons. They do that and they might do more then just make the Playoffs!!!
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
    But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
    4-New York Giants!!!
    5-NE
    Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

I feel like the team has gotten better than last year, which is encouraging, but the issue I'm having is that the front office really didn't address the two biggest problems we had: O line and running backs. Apart from some minor touch-up work, they basically did nothing to improve these areas, and they are the primary two areas that plagued us throughout the 2016 season.

We have a materially harder schedule than last year too. I think we'll win 10 or 11 games. As I said we're definitely better than last year given the additions to the receiving game, and hopefully the O line is marginally better, but instead of playing teams like the Browns and Bears this season we're playing the Raiders, Seahawks, and Chiefs.

Finally you have to be honest with yourself about Eli. He wasn't very good last year. Most people here blame everyone BUT Eli for that, but there is no questioning the fact that the guy has a lot of tread on his tires and a lot of his throws last year lacked the zip that they had in years past. I want to believe that he'll be every bit as good as he was in 2011 and 2015, but the reality is he may be declining. If that continues to be the case, then all bets are off. You need a good QB to contend in this league.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
        I feel like the team has gotten better than last year, which is encouraging, but the issue I'm having is that the front office really didn't address the two biggest problems we had: O line and running backs. Apart from some minor touch-up work, they basically did nothing to improve these areas, and they are the primary two areas that plagued us throughout the 2016 season.

We have a materially harder schedule than last year too. I think we'll win 10 or 11 games. As I said we're definitely better than last year given the additions to the receiving game, and hopefully the O line is marginally better, but instead of playing teams like the Browns and Bears this season we're playing the Raiders, Seahawks, and Chiefs.

Finally you have to be honest with yourself about Eli. He wasn't very good last year. Most people here blame everyone BUT Eli for that, but there is no questioning the fact that the guy has a lot of tread on his tires and a lot of his throws last year lacked the zip that they had in years past. I want to believe that he'll be every bit as good as he was in 2011 and 2015, but the reality is he may be declining. If that continues to be the case, then all bets are off. You need a good QB to contend in this league.
        Dave I think that's a very honest assessment. I don't have anything to add.

Comment

I think everyone focused on our offense but they need to do something about the linebackers. They are pretty much the ghost of our defense, having at least one playmaker there would put this defense on another edge

Comment

1. The front office did in fact address both the running back and Oline. Firstly health. Perkins, Gallman Healthy vereen, healthy Darkwa are all HUGE upgrades over Jennings. Healthy Flowers, Healthy Pugh Healthy richburg,...in shape flowers, in shape Hart, Fluker, Wheeler, Dunker & Biswonaty were added + potentially Jarron Jones in development as an OT. also brett jones we've yet to really see what he can do.

Rhett Ellison was brought in to help the Oline. Brandon marshall one of the best blocking WR in the league. right there we are upgraded significantly.

finally, let's remember this same Oline(almost? was marshall in there?), when healthy, the last 4 games of 2015, was better than average. so even if you think it was all just "minor touch up work", perhaps it is all that was needed, anyway.

Our blocking is in fact improved from last year.

What planet are you people living on that think our blocking & rb position has not improved?

2. yes the schedule appears harder, BUT every single year the pundits are wrong about what teams are going to be good or bad. Remember they had the giants being a 6 & 9 team last year, but we went 11& 5. So, it's actually yet to be determined if the schedule proves to more difficult than last year. But it is a fact that we have some tough road hauls & it does appear more difficult on paper. it's not inconceivable that the browns have a good year for example. But hopefully one or two other teams this year that we play are like the browns and bears of last year. but if not, good teams step it up.

3. Eli appears to be the same as he ever was. I thought i remember reading his throws had plenty of zip. Please show your proof that it isn't the case. I've not seen anything to suggest that his throws lost zip. With the weapons we have this year, and if we get him another half a second to throw and can run just a little bit better, look out. Eli could potentially have one of his best years ever, if he can avoid interceptions.

3. If anything it is the defense that may have a tough time repeating their performance from last year. They may face better offenses this year. Our depth is questionable at CB and LB.

4. YOU can decide to focus on the positive in life if you so choose to

40 POINTS A GAME! GO GIANTS!
            Last edited by bigpoppy; 07-15-2017, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I think that absent injury we are a top 10 team easily, approaching top 5.
              We may or may not make the playoffs.
              No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

I agree with most of what you said but the two biggest problems on the O line are just kids who have only played a couple of years, they should be primed for huge years lets not wright off the kids just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Yen View Post
                  What are your expectations for the team this year?
                  I think we at least make it back to the playoffs.
                  11-5. We will get to the NFC Championship game and maybe even the Super Bowl. We might not win though.

Comment

I gotta be honest, I wanna feel good about this team this but I seen Giants go from having a good season to the next year falling flat on their face a few too many times. Not saying that they'll have a losing record but I can't shake the feeling that they'll missed the playoffs

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post

Dave I think that's a very honest assessment. I don't have anything to add.
                      Seconded, nice post Dave. Agreed 100%.

Comment

The offense will be better. Additional weapons and McAdoo and team had a year to figure things out. I think we'll see a number of new wrinkles that will help. Plus, I don't see how Flowers and Hart can be worse.

The Defense will not be as good. The schedule is much tougher and the league has some tape on them now. They'll be just as good against the run, but I see teams passing on them a bit more (IE GB in the playoffs). It will still be a very good defense, just not top 5.

Overall, I see similar record to last year and a good shot at the division. Dallas will come back to earth and Philly and Wash will be a game or two behind the Cowboys and NY. Should be an exciting season. Of course, who knows what will happen with injuries, but I guess you can say that for every team in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

1. The front office did in fact address both the running back and Oline. Firstly health. Perkins, Gallman Healthy vereen, healthy Darkwa are all HUGE upgrades over Jennings. Healthy Flowers, Healthy Pugh Healthy richburg,...in shape flowers, in shape Hart, Fluker, Wheeler, Dunker & Biswonaty were added + potentially Jarron Jones in development as an OT. also brett jones we've yet to really see what he can do.

Rhett Ellison was brought in to help the Oline. Brandon marshall one of the best blocking WR in the league. right there we are upgraded significantly.

finally, let's remember this same Oline(almost? was marshall in there?), when healthy, the last 4 games of 2015, was better than average. so even if you think it was all just "minor touch up work", perhaps it is all that was needed, anyway.

Our blocking is in fact improved from last year.

What planet are you people living on that think our blocking & rb position has not improved?

40 POINTS A GAME! GO GIANTS!

I can easily think that it has not improved. The RB's are really all unknown (even Vereen is a question mark with injuries). No way they are HUGE upgrades. What have you seen that makes you feel like they are an upgrade? Fluker was let go for a reason. Flowers and Hart were abysmal next year. Adding a blocking TE, full back, and changing some scheme is certainly encouraging. However, I think it is certainly very reasonable to question their ground game right now.

Now that being said, every team has weaknesses. I think fans that just think that GMs can upgrade every weakness every offseason are delusional. They did a decent job considering their options.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantterp View Post

I can easily think that it has not improved. The RB's are really all unknown (even Vereen is a question mark with injuries). No way they are HUGE upgrades. What have you seen that makes you feel like they are an upgrade? Fluker was let go for a reason. Flowers and Hart were abysmal next year. Adding a blocking TE, full back, and changing some scheme is certainly encouraging. However, I think it is certainly very reasonable to question their ground game right now.

Now that being said, every team has weaknesses. I think fans that just think that GMs can upgrade every weakness every offseason are delusional. They did a decent job considering their options.
                            u need a RB that can make the first guy miss, plus pick up blitzes in the WCO. Perk is excellent at both. Huge upgrade over jennings who is not even in the nfl anymore. Darkwa can make a first guy miss also when healthy as can vereen. vereen can block. not sure how well darkwa blocks but at least he is quick, fast and can run for long gains once in a while. jennings was 2 yards in a cloud of his own dust then fall down. not a fan of what he brought to the table for this WCO. Gallman or draughn or the FB can get the short yards hopefully. Running game is much improved at the RB position IMO.

Oline is healthy and in shape. People seem to forget that richberg pugh and flowers all played hurt last year. plus more competition and depth. I'm only sorry we lost newhouse who turned out to be a good guard last year.

if we stay healthy, we are better than average this year in the run game, which is all we need to be.

2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

u need a RB that can make the first guy miss, plus pick up blitzes in the WCO. Perk is excellent at both. Huge upgrade over jennings who is not even in the nfl anymore. Darkwa can make a first guy miss also when healthy as can vereen. vereen can block. not sure how well darkwa blocks but at least he is quick, fast and can run for long gains once in a while. jennings was 2 yards in a cloud of his own dust then fall down. not a fan of what he brought to the table for this WCO. Gallman or draughn or the FB can get the short yards hopefully. Running game is much improved at the RB position IMO.

Oline is healthy and in shape. People seem to forget that richberg pugh and flowers all played hurt last year. plus more competition and depth. I'm only sorry we lost newhouse who turned out to be a good guard last year.

if we stay healthy, we are better than average this year in the run game, which is all we need to be.

2 cents
                              The reason Jennings remained the starter most of the season was Perkins wasn't as good in pass protection. He did improve as the season progressed but to say he's excellent is a stretch. He clearly has more wiggle than Jennings did but his 3.0 YPC in our playoff game last year doesn't make me think he's as big an upgrade as you do.......hope I'm wrong.
                              Last year I was optimistic that the oline would be better than in 2015 just by virtue of more playing time together but they let me down so this year I'm expecting more of the same......again, hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X