Biggest driver of parity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest driver of parity?

The two big ones are the salary cap and the reverse order of the draft.
    I think that the draft doesn't do much to change the competitive balance. Really the only advantage the worst team gets over the SB champ is one pick at the top. After that, the SB champ picks ahead of the worst team.(ie last pick in the 1st round is ahead of the first pick in the second)

I think the salary cap has a greater impact.

Thoughts?
    No one remembers who came in second.

Nice topic Jomo. Agreed - free agency and the salary cap make it difficult to keep your best players, and result in a great redistribution of talent each offseason. This is probably twice as impactful as the draft except when teams draft franchise QB's early in the first round.

Also - in before "moved to offtopic"

Comment

Cap it is, especially with the $$ good QBs are taking up.*

Comment

Cap by far. Teams like the browns are annual high pickers and have sucked perpetually. Meanwhile teams like the Patriots rarely have high picks and are always competitive.The cap is what leads to all the movement in free agency etc. and that's what re-distributes the wealth of talent in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
          I think that the draft doesn't do much to change the competitive balance. Really the only advantage the worst team gets over the SB champ is one pick at the top. After that, the SB champ picks ahead of the worst team.(ie last pick in the 1st round is ahead of the first pick in the second)

Thoughts?
          What would you rather have picks 1 & 33 or 32 & 64? Picking first is an advantage in every round.
          Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

Message to NFL stop trying to fix what ain't broke.. as for this in particular, it's a perfect system.. and this is prob the most balanced league in any pro sport, what's the problem?? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by speedman View Post

What would you rather have picks 1 & 33 or 32 & 64? Picking first is an advantage in every round.
              That is an interesting argument but I already gave you #1. That is your gift for finishing last. And would one top pick in the draft allow you to catch up to the pack?

Therefore the question is would you rather be #32 or #33? Most, but not all lol would choose #32.

Comment

Hard salary cap and non-guaranteed contracts.

Comment

Most definitely the cap. Take a look at MLB for all the proof you need.
                  The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

The NBA has THEE WORST Parity. So many rule violations in free agency, go unchecked. A few stars control free agency. After watching my OKC thunder lose star after star to larger markets......

Kinda wish they had moved to NY

Comment

Thoughts?
                      I would agree. Except somebody forgot to tell the Patriots about league parity....

Comment

Originally posted by gmen46 View Post

I would agree. Except somebody forgot to tell the Patriots about league parity....
                        That is a very good point which I think gets to the wild card in the equation: coaching and front office, neither of which are covered under the cap.

Comment

That is a very good point which I think gets to the wild card in the equation: coaching and front office, neither of which are covered under the cap.
                          True.

Also, it's no coincidence that the same QB and HC have been co-generals for all 16 years the Patriots have dominated the league (I'm eliminating BB's first year as Pats HC, since Brady did not throw a pass tha year, iirc). Even setting aside the historical achievements of each individual, no team that I can recall has in league history ever had the same QB and HC at the reigns for 16 (and counting) years.

The importance of both being on the same team for so long AND that by the end of their respective careers they both will be considered by consensus to be GOATs at their role, can not be overstated. Amazing run, and WE all got to witness it as it occurred. I'm not a Patriot fan of course, but for anyone to deny the magnitude and magnificence of what those 2 accomplished in a professional sport, he would have to be willfully blind or irrationally bitter.

Comment

Bedsides the cap and reverse draft. I would say a big part of it is the hit or miss talent in the later rounds. Montana 82nd and Brady 199th are a testament to that.
                            The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post
                              Bedsides the cap and reverse draft. I would say a big part of it is the hit or miss talent in the later rounds. Montana 82nd and Brady 199th are a testament to that.
                              That has huge impact but it doesn't drive parity imo. It creates separation when you can pull one of them off. A franchise QB in the later rounds (and the salary cap hit that gets deferred) is enormous.............kind of like having that great coach.

Comment

Working...
                              X