Move On Already The NFL has changed its take on player value

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move On Already The NFL has changed its take on player value

Sorry for length - Perhaps with all the time that has already passed trying to make a deal with Victor Cruz, to no avail as yet, has me thinking the two sides aren't close because nothing positive if being said or released and too much time gone by. The Giants and the fans need to "say that's it" to him and his agent JayZ who is nothing more than a entertainer as far as I know wjho wants to get into being a sports agent.
    Let's think about what happens if Cruz plays out his contract and next year Cruz is a URFA. Cruz has already shown his lack of experience and immaturity in this matter of negotiating and wouldn't be the first uyoiungster to be led down the path of bust. He is with his 3rd agent during this one negotiation. If I'm the front office I gotta think, who will be next I'm talking with, and when will it happen. Cruz chose JZ because he ls his favorite entertainer. Not a good way to choose Mr Cruz!
    If Cruz plays out the final year of his contract he will have to play at the top of his game in order to increase or, at the least, maintain, his present value established by the league and not himself. That being the case. I would think, Cruz and agent have approached the "this is it" offer, "take or leave it" stage.
    I understand and agree with a player wanting top dollar while he can earn it, but Cruz should remember the slot receiver he replaced, Smith, who turned down a very legitamate offer to opt for free agency then got himself hurt and wound up with 1 year minimum deal (1 Miilion) from the Eagles and hasn't been heard from since, and more recently the league's top slot guy, Welker, and what he signed for sort of set the value range.
    Here's what Cruz needs to understand. His agent has a lot of money from entertainment earnings and will continue to have a lot of money after Cruz is out of football. Cruz should also realize self-inflated value holdouts may hold out to garner a million or two more, but when talking 5 years or so at 6-8 million that's a lot of coinage to risk, and possibly lose. Holding out for comparitively little, and in the end may not recoup losses should things go wrong during the negotiating. However, his agent will still continue to earn money even if Cruz should suffer a similar fate as Smith did, or if he has a few more drops this year, each drop will be worth a $million during next year's negotiation should he hold out..
    I believe the NFL owners have drawn lines in the "financial sand".proven by the treatment of veteran players over the past couple of years, and this year especially, and the establishing and abiding by position value over worth to the team vaalue. These two business decisions have caused young players to see the light and try to get it all at once, and negotuiate higher guranteed money. Fans can't blame either side in this issue, but both sides and agents have to have a "sensible win-win" final figure or football as we know it goes to a product level far less than it is now.

IF the Giants were to trade Cruz now with one year left on his contract, what's his value in draft picks, certainly isn't a number one. That was also very telling, Cruz is a veteran that's not worth a roundr 1 draft pick, and worth less now.

I respectfully disagree with everything you have written.
    Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Uuuhhhhh.......

Comment

Originally posted by Red Dog View Post
        Sorry for length - Perhaps with all the time that has already passed trying to make a deal with Victor Cruz, to no avail as yet, has me thinking the two sides aren't close because nothing positive if being said or released and too much time gone by. The Giants and the fans need to "say that's it" to him and his agent JayZ who is nothing more than a entertainer as far as I know wjho wants to get into being a sports agent.
        Let's think about what happens if Cruz plays out his contract and next year Cruz is a URFA. Cruz has already shown his lack of experience and immaturity in this matter of negotiating and wouldn't be the first uyoiungster to be led down the path of bust. He is with his 3rd agent during this one negotiation. If I'm the front office I gotta think, who will be next I'm talking with, and when will it happen. Cruz chose JZ because he ls his favorite entertainer. Not a good way to choose Mr Cruz!
        If Cruz plays out the final year of his contract he will have to play at the top of his game in order to increase or, at the least, maintain, his present value established by the league and not himself. That being the case. I would think, Cruz and agent have approached the "this is it" offer, "take or leave it" stage.
        I understand and agree with a player wanting top dollar while he can earn it, but Cruz should remember the slot receiver he replaced, Smith, who turned down a very legitamate offer to opt for free agency then got himself hurt and wound up with 1 year minimum deal (1 Miilion) from the Eagles and hasn't been heard from since, and more recently the league's top slot guy, Welker, and what he signed for sort of set the value range.
        Here's what Cruz needs to understand. His agent has a lot of money from entertainment earnings and will continue to have a lot of money after Cruz is out of football. Cruz should also realize self-inflated value holdouts may hold out to garner a million or two more, but when talking 5 years or so at 6-8 million that's a lot of coinage to risk, and possibly lose. Holding out for comparitively little, and in the end may not recoup losses should things go wrong during the negotiating. However, his agent will still continue to earn money even if Cruz should suffer a similar fate as Smith did, or if he has a few more drops this year, each drop will be worth a $million during next year's negotiation should he hold out..
        I believe the NFL owners have drawn lines in the "financial sand".proven by the treatment of veteran players over the past couple of years, and this year especially, and the establishing and abiding by position value over worth to the team vaalue. These two business decisions have caused young players to see the light and try to get it all at once, and negotuiate higher guranteed money. Fans can't blame either side in this issue, but both sides and agents have to have a "sensible win-win" final figure or football as we know it goes to a product level far less than it is now.

IF the Giants were to trade Cruz now with one year left on his contract, what's his value in draft picks, certainly isn't a number one. That was also very telling, Cruz is a veteran that's not worth a roundr 1 draft pick, and worth less now.
        Oddly enough, John Mara just had something positive to say which can be found in yet another Cruz thread. Sorry to disappoint.

PS His agent isn't Jay-Z. His agent is Tom Condon. Jay-Z has not been certified to represent NFL players.
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

umm Jay-Z isn't Cruz's agent...Tom Condon is. oops Ro beat me to it lol

Comment

Originally posted by DownWitJPP View Post
            umm Jay-Z isn't Cruz's agent...Tom Condon is. oops Ro beat me to it lol
            We can say of over and over and some just refuse to acknowledge the facts. It's just the S L O W part of the almost pre-season requiring a lot of deep thinking.
            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Jay-Z is not his agent. He is a rain maker for the firm. All the strategic stuff and legal stuff and negotiating stuff is being done by professionals. Team Cruz can say all they want about getting him what he's worth but that pre-supposes he's an UFA which he is not. By definition, he'll need to take less for a long term deal because he is not free to walk. That won't come until next year and alot of things can happen in a year both positive and negative. If I were advising him, I would tell him to take it to the wire to gain whatever little leverage is left in terms of hype and training camp coming etc. Then sign the deal.
              No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

My mistake about JZ being the negotiator, but the fact that Cruz wants him is not in Cruz's best interest because of his inexperience in these matters and shows Cruz being somewhat immkature because he himself stated the reason he wanted JZ. Disagreeing with all I've written shows no rationale or awareness for what is going on in the current NFL, and what has gone on with veterans being cut before payouts, and players like Smith getting sucked up into thinking that he was not expendable. Reese was right as rain on Smith with his more than sufficient offer at the time of negotiations as Reese was willing to pay for value and was proven very right not to increase it. Smith got hurt (read carreer gone) moved on to "disappearville" in Philly I love Cruz as a player, period. He's fun and he's good, but has his drops too. The post is my opinion as to the way things have developed with the NFL. The money-reins are being tightened. Look at players like Abraham cut and what has he lost in ability after a great year, other than his livelihood?

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                  I respectfully disagree with everything you have written.
                  You mean you actually read all of that?
                  Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                    You mean you actually read all of that?
                    As painful as it was to read, yes I did read it lol.
                    Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuz!

(had to get my quota)
                      I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

so basically you have no idea what is going on with Cruz, his agent Tom Condon, and the Giants...
                        thats what I got from your post.....
                        "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                        You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

I think VC would be worth a second round pick at this point in his career. I wouldn't give up a first round on him, so I don't think many GMs would, especially with the large contract he is trying to obtain.
                          Do not feed the trolls.

Comment

Eh, come again?

Comment

I just hope our 2013 defense is as formidable as that that wall of text is to look at.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X