Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whom was the toughest NY GIANT QB ever to play ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fletch842 View Post
    I think some folks forget just how tough Phil Simms was. Eli is deceptively tough, but I give the nod to Phil in this area.
    I suspect everyone who voted for Eli is too young to have watched Simms play,
    But Tittle is easily the toughest.
    You won't find Eli's name on either of these two lists:

http://www.thesportster.com/entertai...ious-injuries/
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...rs-of-all-time

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post

Just want to point out the shoulder injury happened week 2 against gb at home. Shefter and co. Were reporting 4 to 6 weeks...he didn't miss any time...what a great qb.
      lol. Shefter was wrong with his early report of a separated shoulder. Eli and the Giants public relations staff later called it a bruise. Ttitle wouldn't have missed a snap.

Comment

Originally posted by Harooni View Post
        no contest.
        https://youtu.be/MlA-_rooBaM

Comment

To me, in terms overall toughness(mental and physical), it was Simms without question. I wasn't around to see YA Tittle play, but from what I've read/heard about him, he's probably the real winner of this poll.

To me, Eli lacks the mental toughness that Phil had, but thats just an opinion, and it's not meant as a jab at Eli in the slightest.
          The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post
            To me, in terms overall toughness(mental and physical), it was Simms without question. I wasn't around to see YA Tittle play, but from what I've read/heard about him, he's probably the real winner of this poll.

To me, Eli lacks the mental toughness that Phil had, but thats just an opinion, and it's not meant as a jab at Eli in the slightest.
            Those of us old enough remember Phil running off the field with his thumb bone (on his throwing hand) pushing through the skin. We also remember him taking MANY big hits straight in the kisser so that he could hang in to deliver an important completion. That is what I remember most about him. It is hard to compare one to the other but when I hear just the word tough, I will pick Phil.
            No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

Those of us old enough remember Phil running off the field with his thumb bone (on his throwing hand) pushing through the skin. We also remember him taking MANY big hits straight in the kisser so that he could hang in to deliver an important completion. That is what I remember most about him. It is hard to compare one to the other but when I hear just the word tough, I will pick Phil.
              My thoughts exactly, sir. He stayed in there in order to get the ball off, and obviously this way before the rule changes that now make breathing on a QB a 15 yard penalty. He was just an all around tough guy with tremendous on field leadership skills.
              The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

I'll always remember the announcers of one game discussing which various players' body parts they would assemble, to create the ultimate player. They chose Simms for the heart. Sorry, no link, it was a long time ago. My friends and I still quote that line, though, when we get together for games.

Comment

I think that Eli is incredibly mentally tough. His play in the Super Bowl seasons proved that beyond doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

I think that Eli is incredibly mentally tough. His play in the Super Bowl seasons proved that beyond doubt.
                    Me too. IMO it's his best quality.

I'd love to hear DH's explanation why Simms was better mentally.
                    Last edited by DandyDon; 07-22-2017, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

I'll always remember the announcers of one game discussing which various players' body parts they would assemble, to create the ultimate player. They chose Simms for the heart. Sorry, no link, it was a long time ago. My friends and I still quote that line, though, when we get together for games.
                      I very distinctly remember that. I believe it was Madden Summerall thing.
                      "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Comment

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post

Me too. IMO it's his best quality.

I'd love to hear DH's explanation why Simms was better mentally.
                        I'd be happy to oblige

Phil never backed away from pressure while making a throw. Eli does that on a regular basis, and has from day one.

Comment

Originally posted by fansince69 View Post

I very distinctly remember that. I believe it was Madden Summerall thing.
                          Cool. Yeah, I was thinking Madden or Terry Bradshaw.

Comment

Worth repeating...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjmjV_at_6I

Comment

I'd be happy to oblige

Phil never backed away from pressure while making a throw. Eli does that on a regular basis, and has from day one.
                              Phil NEVER backed away from pressure while making a throw? If that is true, then he is the only QB in the history of the NFL who is able to say that.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

Phil NEVER backed away from pressure while making a throw? If that is true, then he is the only QB in the history of the NFL who is able to say that.
                                Ok, let me amend that to say "hardly ever"

"Never" was, admittedly, a bit much LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X