Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What They're Saying: DT Johnathan Hankins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What They're Saying: DT Johnathan Hankins

    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...nathan-hankins

    Excerpt: "Second-round pick (49th overall): DT Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State.

    Here's our Rapid Reaction and what the Giants said about Hankins:

    Marc Ross: "Johnathan [Hankins] is a big, wide-bodied space-eater on his side. He is 21 years old. He has a lot of upside. He is not a glamorous type of guy inside, but he does the dirty work that you need in there to occupy people –- hold the point. He is a powerful upper body –- snatch blocker for a 320-pound guy.

    "We had him identified as a first-round guy. Some people might have been scared off by his lack of sack production. He just had one. Some people might have questions regarding his stamina. Okay, the guy is 320 pounds and he plays every snap. So if he wears downs at the end of a 60-play game, I could understand that. So you have to look at his body of work. You have to dig deep into who he is. The kid is a great kid. He loves football. He is going to work his butt off. So those concerns that others might have, we didn’t have."

    Tom Coughlin: "[Hankins] is primarily a defensive tackle that has outstanding first and second-down run-stopping ability. ... You have to continue to build. We were 31st in the league on defense. ... For me, that is where it starts –- up front. And you have to continue to develop and build. Be strong up there -– competitive."

    Jerry Reese: "Big Hank is just a powerful inside presence, played a lot of snaps. You like that about him that he can have the stamina to stay and play. That probably affected his game a little bit on the back end because I think he ran out of gas sometimes when we watched him, but early on when he gets going, he’s a tremendous inside big thick young player against the run game and against the pass.

    I wouldn’t call him a pass rusher but he gets some pressure up the middle. He can push the pocket up the middle. He can snap some heads back with his initial contact so he can push that pocket back. We think he can be a great addition, a young player. " Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

  • #2
    Big Hank is a load.. Me like Big Hank

    Comment


    • #3
      It is starting to sound as though they may well look to use a situational rotation on the DLine like the Eagles did last year. I think that will make a big difference.
      Last edited by RoanokeFan; 05-08-2013, 08:11 AM.
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

      Comment


      • #4
        Like the pick more and more. The biggest knock on him seems to be that at 320 pounds he gets tired after playing 60 snaps. Seems like a simple fix. Don't play him 60 snaps. Plus they will work on his stamina in training camp.

        Comment


        • #5
          I like his personality. Eager to please players usually try harder (and succeed more) when the chips are down.
          I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
            It is starting to sound as though they may well look to use a situational rotation on the DLine like the Eagles did last year. I think that will make a big difference.
            Our DTs wore down last year. On the field too much. Thats why teams cut through the DLine like a hot knife through butter. Well, that and we have no true MLB.
            WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

            Comment


            • #7
              Big Hank is BIG!!!!!! He has to cut to get down to 320lbs... This guy is a monster and once he gets in an NFL strength and conditioning program he is only going to get better. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes into camp at 330+ he is just a BIG guy. Its already been said he is a bigger guy than Linval Joseph is maybe not as tall but just much wider and bigger boned. He could realistically play at 330+ pounds he has the body type to do so. As far as our D-Line last year yea our DT's got tired cause we couldn't stop the run and they couldn't get off the field. Having a true MLB wouldn't have made much of a difference once those guards and the center make it to the second teir of the defense and block the LBers doesn't matter who you are RB is gaining an easy 6 to 7 yards.

              Comment


              • #8
                He is Hankins????

                Comment


                • #9
                  He is no Jonas Seawright though.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hank is going to be an animal. BEST PICK OF THE DRAFT! Only one run defender is better on the line and that is Lotulelei and he has top 5 talent. As soon as I saw this pick I loved it. I didn't want any other DT, save Latulelie. There are all those quickness athletic tackles that are supposed to get to the QB, but that's not what we need. We need a DT to take on double teams, obliterate run blocking schemes, and be a wall in the middle. We got what we need and in the second round we got great value.

                    After growing up on LT and the crew and moving on to Jessie Armstead, Stray, The Hammer, and Fred Robbins, watching last year's run defense was disheartening stuff. I never minded losing as much, long ago when we had a down season but we were losing a game 17-0 and our D was still playing great ball. I can't take this stuff where teams just come in and smack us in the mouth and run it straight up the gut for 4 quarters. That is not Giants football.

                    Hankins will help put the D back in defense and restore the pride we once had in playing defense. I'm pumped, only 3 months until September.
                    Last edited by B&RWarrior; 05-08-2013, 01:50 PM.
                    Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

                    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
                      Hank is going to be an animal. BEST PICK OF THE DRAFT! Only one run defender is better on the line and that is Lotulelei and he has top 5 talent. As soon as I saw this pick I loved it. I didn't want any other DT, save Latulelie. There are all those quickness athletic tackles that are supposed to get to the QB, but that's not what we need. We need a DT to take on double teams, obliterate run blocking schemes, and be a wall in the middle. We got what we need and in the second round we got great value. After growing up on LT and the crew and moving on to Jessie Armstead, Stray, The Hammer, and Fred Robbins, watching last year's run defense was disheartening stuff. I never minded losing as much, long ago when we had a down season but we were losing a game 17-0 and our D was still playing great ball. I can't take this stuff where teams just come in and smack us in the mouth and run it straight up the gut for 4 quarters. That is not Giants football. Hankins will help put the D back in defense and restore the pride we once had in playing defense. I'm pumped, only 3 months until September.
                      Seems like every time you post I agree 100%. Great pick.to help get our D back on track. I got so mad at our D last year. Even the year prior, despite the SB, it was clear our gut was suspect. They definitely did all they could to cure that this off-season.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Long time Buckeye fan here. No interest in the NYG.

                        You all hit the jackpot with Hankins in the 2nd round. He is without question the best dlineman at OSU since Will Smith and probably the 3rd or 4th best in the last 20+ years. Going all the way back to Dan Wilkinson, Mike Vrabel days. Now I know OSU is not a juggernaut for defensive lineman. So it's not like there is a huge sample size but Hankins is markedly better than several that had long term NFL careers Winfield Garnett, Tim Anderson, Kenny Peterson, Darrion Scott.

                        1) He's a great kid. Just 100% great human being. He isn't going to cause problems, he understands the hard work needed to be successful, he will keep his mouth shut and do what is asked of him.

                        2) What the article above said is 100% true. This nonsense about him wearing down and taking plays off is a joke. The kid literally never came off the field ever for 2 straight years.. 60 plays a game. The rumors of him taking plays off is because nobody could find anything bad to say about him so they had to make up something that people would believe without being able to provide proof. Furthermore, the OSU defense has been really bad for about 2 years. It's basically been John Simon and Hankins and Bradley Roby playing 3 on 11 football for 2 years. That is not easy to do. And it also explains why his sack numbers are low. Don't get me wrong, he is never going to set any sack records. That's not what he does. But his numbers are well below even normal standards due to lack of surrounding talent. He and Simon literally were double/triple teamed every play because the Bucks had no one else in the front 7 that could even do anything.

                        3) While I don't think he is NFL hall of fame talent and perrennial pro-bowler he is a 10+ year starter in the NFL that is a warrior and will be a mainstay on the dline for any team he plays for. This is not a high risk/high reward pick. He is a safe pick/high reward player.

                        4) Believe it or not, where Hankins excels is sideline to sideline. He can flat out run. You don't record the number of tackles he did and put up multiple games at DT with with 10 tackles in a single game by just standing around plugging the middle. You will be shocked by how this kid can run sideline to sideline. If my internet browser was working correctly I would link you some plays he made running people down at the sideline. It's AMAZING to watch when you consider how big he is. He beat OSU linebackers to the ball. Which admittedly isn't saying a whole lot as OSU hasn't had a decent LB in sometime. But still, you get the point.

                        It's a joke he wasn't a top 15 pick. ESPN didn't even have a comment. Mel Kiper just said, two years ago he was a top 15 pick but production slipped this season so he fell. And they cut to commercial. Not even a single person can tell you why he slid. Dude went from 67 tackles to 55 FROM THE DEFENSIVE TACKLE POSITION. 67 tackles was second on the team!!! That is INSANE in a 12 game schedule. "When asked why his stats fell in 2012 he simply responded with... my team was 12-0." He is a big kid, he isn't ripped and cut like Vernon Gholston and Barkevious Mingo so he fell. It's that simple.

                        If I had to pick one potential weak link it would be his weight. I believe he came into OSU weighing upwards of 340 pounds. He worked hard to get down to 320s. I do not believe he is a natural 320 lb guy. I think he is going to have to work to keep his weight manageable. However, depending on what the NYG want from him it might not be all bad if he ends up in the 330-340 range.

                        You all hit the jackpot. He is the steal of the draft, no question. He isn't going to be a rookie sensation because 1) he has some work to do and 2) DT isn't a real flashy position, but by year 2 people will be talking about what a steal the NYG got in the second round.


                        EDIT--

                        Just to clarify, while I don't think he will be a "rookie sensation" I will be shocked if he is not solidly in the DL rotation or in the starting lineup year 1. I believe he is a year 1 impact player. I don't think there is any question about that, he's ready to play in some capacity right now.
                        Last edited by mms; 05-08-2013, 04:03 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mms View Post
                          Long time Buckeye fan here. No interest in the NYG.

                          You all hit the jackpot with Hankins in the 2nd round. He is without question the best dlineman at OSU since Will Smith and probably the 3rd or 4th best in the last 20+ years. Going all the way back to Dan Wilkinson, Mike Vrabel days. Now I know OSU is not a juggernaut for defensive lineman. So it's not like there is a huge sample size but Hankins is markedly better than several that had long term NFL careers Winfield Garnett, Tim Anderson, Kenny Peterson, Darrion Scott.

                          1) He's a great kid. Just 100% great human being. He isn't going to cause problems, he understands the hard work needed to be successful, he will keep his mouth shut and do what is asked of him.

                          2) What the article above said is 100% true. This nonsense about him wearing down and taking plays off is a joke. The kid literally never came off the field ever for 2 straight years.. 60 plays a game. The rumors of him taking plays off is because nobody could find anything bad to say about him so they had to make up something that people would believe without being able to provide proof. Furthermore, the OSU defense has been really bad for about 2 years. It's basically been John Simon and Hankins and Bradley Roby playing 3 on 11 football for 2 years. That is not easy to do. And it also explains why his sack numbers are low. Don't get me wrong, he is never going to set any sack records. That's not what he does. But his numbers are well below even normal standards due to lack of surrounding talent. He and Simon literally were double/triple teamed every play because the Bucks had no one else in the front 7 that could even do anything.

                          3) While I don't think he is NFL hall of fame talent and perrennial pro-bowler he is a 10+ year starter in the NFL that is a warrior and will be a mainstay on the dline for any team he plays for. This is not a high risk/high reward pick. He is a safe pick/high reward player.

                          4) Believe it or not, where Hankins excels is sideline to sideline. He can flat out run. You don't record the number of tackles he did and put up multiple games at DT with with 10 tackles in a single game by just standing around plugging the middle. You will be shocked by how this kid can run sideline to sideline. If my internet browser was working correctly I would link you some plays he made running people down at the sideline. It's AMAZING to watch when you consider how big he is. He beat OSU linebackers to the ball. Which admittedly isn't saying a whole lot as OSU hasn't had a decent LB in sometime. But still, you get the point.

                          It's a joke he wasn't a top 15 pick. ESPN didn't even have a comment. Mel Kiper just said, two years ago he was a top 15 pick but production slipped this season so he fell. And they cut to commercial. Not even a single person can tell you why he slid. Dude went from 67 tackles to 55 FROM THE DEFENSIVE TACKLE POSITION. 67 tackles was second on the team!!! That is INSANE in a 12 game schedule. "When asked why his stats fell in 2012 he simply responded with... my team was 12-0." He is a big kid, he isn't ripped and cut like Vernon Gholston and Barkevious Mingo so he fell. It's that simple.

                          If I had to pick one potential weak link it would be his weight. I believe he came into OSU weighing upwards of 340 pounds. He worked hard to get down to 320s. I do not believe he is a natural 320 lb guy. I think he is going to have to work to keep his weight manageable. However, depending on what the NYG want from him it might not be all bad if he ends up in the 330-340 range.

                          You all hit the jackpot. He is the steal of the draft, no question. He isn't going to be a rookie sensation because 1) he has some work to do and 2) DT isn't a real flashy position, but by year 2 people will be talking about what a steal the NYG got in the second round.
                          Great post.

                          I have to admit, I was worried about the stamina concerns, but you really explained it well.

                          I think part of it is that I was super-high on Marvin Austin....I thought he was the most exciting prospect in that year's draft for the Giants....and he's been a complete flop up to this point. So I'm very reluctant to trust the hype about another DT.

                          Still though, from what you're describing, sounds like a great kid.
                          "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

                          "Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
                            Hank is going to be an animal. BEST PICK OF THE DRAFT! Only one run defender is better on the line and that is Lotulelei and he has top 5 talent. As soon as I saw this pick I loved it. I didn't want any other DT, save Latulelie. There are all those quickness athletic tackles that are supposed to get to the QB, but that's not what we need. We need a DT to take on double teams, obliterate run blocking schemes, and be a wall in the middle. We got what we need and in the second round we got great value.

                            After growing up on LT and the crew and moving on to Jessie Armstead, Stray, The Hammer, and Fred Robbins, watching last year's run defense was disheartening stuff. I never minded losing as much, long ago when we had a down season but we were losing a game 17-0 and our D was still playing great ball. I can't take this stuff where teams just come in and smack us in the mouth and run it straight up the gut for 4 quarters. That is not Giants football.

                            Hankins will help put the D back in defense and restore the pride we once had in playing defense. I'm pumped, only 3 months until September.
                            save Latulelie.

                            This isnt a thing. WHA

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
                              Great post.

                              I have to admit, I was worried about the stamina concerns, but you really explained it well.

                              I think part of it is that I was super-high on Marvin Austin....I thought he was the most exciting prospect in that year's draft for the Giants....and he's been a complete flop up to this point. So I'm very reluctant to trust the hype about another DT.

                              Still though, from what you're describing, sounds like a great kid.
                              Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
                              Great post.

                              I have to admit, I was worried about the stamina concerns, but you really explained it well.

                              I think part of it is that I was super-high on Marvin Austin....I thought he was the most exciting prospect in that year's draft for the Giants....and he's been a complete flop up to this point. So I'm very reluctant to trust the hype about another DT.

                              Still though, from what you're describing, sounds like a great kid.


                              3 things are contributing to his "stamina" issues and it simply just is not true.


                              1) Reportedly he has 27% body fat. IDK if that is true but it wouldn't surprise me. Again, he is a big big kid. He is more like Sam Adams than Michael Strahan. That is his body type. He is never going to be Michael Strahan no matter how much he works out.
                              2) As I mentioned before, some clown said he had stamina issues because his tackles went from 67 to 55. They literally didn't have anything else to say negative about him so they made some stupid **** up that sounded plausible to NFL fans that don't follow OSU football. The article above hit the truth on the head. At 320+ pounds the kid never came off the field. EVER.
                              3) 3-4 years ago Tressel was so pissed about the OL/DL conditioning he got Nike to design ultra tight fitting uniforms with the intention of embarassing the kids on TV enough to get in shape. That's a true story you can google it. Nobody wants to look like a fat *** on TV. So when you see pics of Hankins with a big ole gut hanging out... it looks bad. I don't deny that. Some of it is true, but a lot of it is not. A lot of it is because Tressel put those tight *** uniforms on them to shame them into better shape and Urban left them on. In another teams uniform Hank wouldn't look nearly as "out of shape". Now to be fair, the other advantage of those uniforms is opponents can't grab your jersey as easy. So I don't think it was all for motivation.

                              Bottom line... the stamina b.s. is just not true. Hank may be the biggest 2nd round bust in NFL history. Maybe I don't know anything NFL football. But it won't be because he is a fat/lazy/out of shape 300+ pound dlineman. That simply is not the case. He is a keep your mouth shut, bring your lunch pail hardworking type kid. Your front office knows that. Thus the comments in the article above.

                              Again, I don't think he is going to be a all world, perrenial pro-bowler, Hall of Fame type player. I'm not hyping him up that much. But you are all going to love him. And at that pick in the 2nd round he is just an absolute steal.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X